ATL: MARIA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: MARIA - Hurricane - Discussion

#2721 Postby stormreader » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:53 am

PandaCitrus wrote:I wish we had access to Puerto Rico radar to find out what happened around Levitown, perhaps some microbursts or metovortices and tornadic activity. This is some extreme damage. Some of the worst I've seen in all of Puerto Rico.

It is pretty bad. San Juan on the north coast shouldn't have gotten the worst of the winds, so I understand your speculation about microbursts. But they were still in Cat 3 range there. Makes you wonder about the SE coast where Maria came ashore at 155 mph. Hate to say it, but with the whole island out of power, significant wind damage and flooding throughout the island, and the relative lack of info which we have received so far, the situation in Puerto Rico may be in our headlines for quite awhile (to put it mildly).
1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2722 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:24 am

stormreader wrote:
PandaCitrus wrote:I wish we had access to Puerto Rico radar to find out what happened around Levitown, perhaps some microbursts or metovortices and tornadic activity. This is some extreme damage. Some of the worst I've seen in all of Puerto Rico.

It is pretty bad. San Juan on the north coast shouldn't have gotten the worst of the winds, so I understand your speculation about microbursts. But they were still in Cat 3 range there. Makes you wonder about the SE coast where Maria came ashore at 155 mph. Hate to say it, but with the whole island out of power, significant wind damage and flooding throughout the island, and the relative lack of info which we have received so far, the situation in Puerto Rico may be in our headlines for quite awhile (to put it mildly).

What I saw on live cams in San Juan looked to me like possible mesovorts.
2 likes   

loro-rojo
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#2723 Postby loro-rojo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:55 am

There are still towns in the central/mountainous region of PR that have yet to be reached. I suspect that there isn't much left.

This hurricane may prove to be the final nail on the PR coffin. I'm stuck in Isla Verde (Carolina, PR) as all entry points have been blocked. Most people in the metropolitan areas have not seen the footage of the truly catastrophic damages in other parts of the island.

My family's livelihood (including my own) as at serious risk. I fear for the future.
2 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2724 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:00 am

1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#2725 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:00 am

loro-rojo wrote:There are still towns in the central/mountainous region of PR that have yet to be reached. I suspect that there isn't much left.

This hurricane may prove to be the final nail on the PR coffin. I'm stuck in Isla Verde (Carolina, PR) as all entry points have been blocked. Most people in the metropolitan areas have not seen the footage of the truly catastrophic damages in other parts of the island.

My family's livelihood (including my own) as at serious risk. I fear for the future.

Does San Juan have both power and Internet or is the hotel on local power (generator) with it's own service?
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

loro-rojo
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#2726 Postby loro-rojo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:08 am

tolakram wrote:
loro-rojo wrote:There are still towns in the central/mountainous region of PR that have yet to be reached. I suspect that there isn't much left.

Does San Juan have both power and Internet or is the hotel on local power (generator) with it's own service?

There is very little cell reception. Not enough reception to make/receive calls or texts but some reception to write messages through apps like WHATSAPP. This is how I've stayed in touch with my family in PR and in Florida. Even this is complicated.

I'm standing in front of a destroyed Starbucks in Isla Verde. Management has hooked up a generator and there is a Wifi signal. There are out 10 other people just standing around using the wifi connection to get in touch with people in the US. I'm just sending some quick emails to clients and calling it a day.

My cousin, who has a generator, mentioned that she had limited internet access in her house. However, it is clear that most people in the island are without phone, internet, etc access.

Unless you have an electric generator, you do not have power.
3 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2727 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:26 am

Not too hot looking this morning Maria is, SW shear for sure is affecting it this morning.

4 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2728 Postby dizzyfish » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:07 am

loro-rojo wrote:
tolakram wrote:

There is very little cell reception. Not enough reception to make/receive calls or texts but some reception to write messages through apps like WHATSAPP. This is how I've stayed in touch with my family in PR and in Florida. Even this is complicated.

I'm standing in front of a destroyed Starbucks in Isla Verde. Management has hooked up a generator and there is a Wifi signal. There are out 10 other people just standing around using the wifi connection to get in touch with people in the US. I'm just sending some quick emails to clients and calling it a day.

My cousin, who has a generator, mentioned that she had limited internet access in her house. However, it is clear that most people in the island are without phone, internet, etc access.

Unless you have an electric generator, you do not have power.

My heart goes out to you all.

My one friend here at work (miraculously) heard from her aunt in Santa Juanita, Bayamon on Wednesday - enough to know she is o.k. Her aunt said the damage is unreal.

Now we are waiting for word from another friend's cousin in Isabela - in the mountains. I am afraid for that one.

Please know that we care about you and send all of our best wishes to you and yours.

Dot

Mods - I know you haven't heard from Luis yet but when you do please be sure to post it (a sticky would be nice!) so that we all know he is safe.
9 likes   

dukeblue219
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2729 Postby dukeblue219 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:39 am

Selected dropsonde data transmitted at 9:34 EDT, NE quadrant:
968mb (Surface) 75° (from the ENE) 110 knots (127 mph)
966mb 70° (from the ENE) 109 knots (125 mph)
963mb 70° (from the ENE) 116 knots (133 mph)
956mb 80° (from the E) 116 knots (133 mph)
948mb 80° (from the E) 123 knots (142 mph)
940mb 80° (from the E) 143 knots (165 mph)
937mb 80° (from the E) 147 knots (169 mph)

And a center drop at the same time splashed at 959mb in 11kt of wind.

So... overall it looks like Maria is holding steady from last night.
1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2730 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:43 am

0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2731 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:45 am

Eye coming back in view

0 likes   

txwatcher91
Category 5
Category 5

#2732 Postby txwatcher91 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:01 am

Latest pass showing an extrap pressure around 952 from 955 earlier, I would expect the VDM to be 956-957. Also it appears more of a NW jog on this pass. Looks like Maria is holding steady or slightly strengthening.
0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2733 Postby OuterBanker » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:27 am

Eye is back, cdo better, symmetry improved.
Dead on for next point. Hard to read, but if it is 18z on the map it will be quite a bit early.
Look faster, but not quite sure.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#2734 Postby WeatherGuesser » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:39 am

What's with the Wednesday hook back towards DelMarVa?
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2735 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:43 am

0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2736 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:47 am

Rain rate is getting back up there.
Almost 60 mm/hr on last pass.

0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2737 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:52 am

Hurricane Maria eye after hitting Puerto Rico. GOES-16 Clean Window (10.3 micrometers)

Hurricane Maria presented a very interesting eye structure during the course of the day on 21 September 2017.
The animation shows 10.3 µm imagery every 2 minutes from 0849 UTC through 2122 UTC on 21 September 2017.

Pete Pokrandt, at the University of Wisconsin Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences Department, created a similar animation using the 0.64 µm Visible channel on GOES-16.

Link: https://youtu.be/E_BwZXYGv3M

Link: https://youtu.be/X6hlPt3FeGw
0 likes   

BYG Jacob
Category 3
Category 3

#2738 Postby BYG Jacob » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:00 am

GCANE wrote:Rain rate is getting back up there.
Almost 60 mm/hr on last pass.

[img]img[/img]

[img]img[/img]

Is that indicative of a hot tower of intensification?
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2739 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:04 am

From Sept. 17 to early Sept. 21, 2017 NASA's IMERG estimated that rainfall totals greater than 10 inches (254 mm) were common along Maria's track. IMERG rainfall estimates indicated that more than 20 inches (512 mm) of rain fell over a large part of Puerto Rico. During that period Maria dropped heavy rain in the Leeward Islands, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Credit: NASA/JAXA, Hal Pierce

Link: https://youtu.be/StfXMKsK8HM
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2740 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:32 am

The Dvorak image has widespread CMG and even some CDG on its northern flank. If not for the shear, Maria would probably be a monster again.
0 likes   

Return to “2017”