ATL: MARIA - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Ken711
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: MARIA - Models

#1201 Postby Ken711 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:43 pm

GeneratorPower wrote:
ronjon wrote:18z NAVGEM brings Maria north to just offshore Hatteras and then turns it west. The start of models going west?

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi/cgi-bin/wxmap_loop.cgi?&area=nvg_conus&prod=prp&dtg=2017091918&set=All

Prediction: Models shift left so far they show it coming ashore south of Melbourne, FL.

Any thing is possible I suppose, I don't see a SE landfall. NC to mid-Atlantic more likely IMO.
3 likes   

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1202 Postby Evil Jeremy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:01 pm

GeneratorPower wrote:
ronjon wrote:18z NAVGEM brings Maria north to just offshore Hatteras and then turns it west. The start of models going west?

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi/cgi-bin/wxmap_loop.cgi?&area=nvg_conus&prod=prp&dtg=2017091918&set=All

Prediction: Models shift left so far they show it coming ashore south of Melbourne, FL.

That would be monumental. Why do you see the models moving so far West?
1 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: ATL: MARIA - Models

#1203 Postby jlauderdal » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:02 pm

GeneratorPower wrote:

Stop that right now, ...btw, over on the long range thread we are monitoring potential florida trouble from the sw..when the power grid is rebuilt in PR after maria, DC needs to fund something robust and reliable for the citizens, no patchwork job, do it right for the peeps
5 likes   

bamajammer4eva
Category 4
Category 4

#1204 Postby bamajammer4eva » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:37 pm

Models were Way Way more concerning for the US Mainland when Irma was near the Virgin Islands. Weather Channel Cone doesn't touch the US and neither does the NHC cone nor any local TV station cone I've seen. The models for Maria are here of course. Here were the models for Irma as she was in nearly the same position of the Virgin Islands

BULLETIN
Hurricane Irma Advisory Number 30
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL112017
1100 AM AST Wed Sep 06 2017

...EYE OF POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE IRMA
CLOSING IN ON THE VIRGIN ISLANDS...

Here is a link to the models GFS Ensembles and Euro Ensembles from that the morning of 9/6. They only got worse for the US from there of course.

https://imgur.com/3AudhY4
0 likes   

txwatcher91
Category 5
Category 5

#1205 Postby txwatcher91 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:44 pm

bamajammer4eva wrote:Models were Way Way more concerning for the US Mainland when Irma was near the Virgin Islands. Weather Channel Cone doesn't touch the US and neither does the NHC cone nor any local TV station cone I've seen. The models for Maria are here of course. Here were the models for Irma as she was in nearly the same position of the Virgin Islands

BULLETIN
Hurricane Irma Advisory Number 30
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL112017
1100 AM AST Wed Sep 06 2017

...EYE OF POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE IRMA
CLOSING IN ON THE VIRGIN ISLANDS...

Here is a link to the models GFS Ensembles and Euro Ensembles from that the morning of 9/6. They only got worse for the US from there of course.

https://imgur.com/3AudhY4

The models also didn’t have the complexity of Jose to figure out with Irma. They do well with simple ridge steering setups but complex ones like this you can see big jumps like we saw today. The models now have this closing very close to the NC coast which is very concerning.
2 likes   

Ian2401
Category 1
Category 1

#1206 Postby Ian2401 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:49 pm

So at this point is there really any chance for a FL impact? It doesn't seem very likely from what I am seeing here.

Which is great, FL doesn't need anymore hurricanes!
2 likes   
FSU '24 student pursuing a degree in meteorology. Consult NHC for official information.

Voltron
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1207 Postby Voltron » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:57 pm

So based on how we are seeing models trend back, who has thoughts on the two highs coming together or for that matter the high to the east getting stronger and maria moving more west and then NW and making lamdfall in wilmington NC? I ask bc I keeps seeimg more of a dissapation of Jose coming quicker and that high out east stronger
1 likes   

Ken711
Category 5
Category 5

#1208 Postby Ken711 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:05 pm

Voltron wrote:So based on how we are seeing models trend back, who has thoughts on the two highs coming together or for that matter the high to the east getting stronger and maria moving more west and then NW and making lamdfall in wilmington NC? I ask bc I keeps seeimg more of a dissapation of Jose coming quicker and that high out east stronger

Yes, it's possible given the recent model trends. I'm thinking a little further north Outer Banks/VA Beach area but a risk for the NC coast in any case.
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#1209 Postby floridasun78 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:10 pm

Ken711 wrote:

CMC and Euro have already started that trend west. Question is how far north does it get before heading in. I think NC/VA border is pretty close to that point. Hopefully, they won't drive inland far.

can you get screen shot my comp say not safe site on firefox ty
2 likes   

txwatcher91
Category 5
Category 5

#1210 Postby txwatcher91 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:11 pm

With Jose about to crash into some cold waters... I would expect him to weaken a bit faster than models show. They’ve consistently been too strong with him and trending weaker each run...

4 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#1211 Postby Blinhart » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:39 pm

I think tonight with the G-IV data being ingested into the models we will start seeing the models shifting much further West, how far West is the question and for how long before the turn North.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1212 Postby tolakram » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:04 pm

GFS starts in 20 minutes or so, we will see if the track changes much with the new data.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1213 Postby chaser1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:06 pm

Voltron wrote:So based on how we are seeing models trend back, who has thoughts on the two highs coming together or for that matter the high to the east getting stronger and maria moving more west and then NW and making lamdfall in wilmington NC? I ask bc I keeps seeimg more of a dissapation of Jose coming quicker and that high out east stronger

I think that's quite reasonable
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

txwatcher91
Category 5
Category 5

#1214 Postby txwatcher91 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:08 pm

tolakram wrote:GFS starts in 20 minutes or so, we will see if the track changes much with the new data.

FWIW the NAM came in a bit west and stronger with the ridge, weaker with Jose. It seems models are finally realizing that Jose isn’t going to be a cat 3 over 22C waters.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1215 Postby chaser1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:24 pm

waiting..... waiting..... waiting...... :think:
I would assume that any significant Gulfstream data ingest would equally impact the meso-scale model runs as well. I kind of expected Jose to have pulled up and out at about 48 hr.'s. That never happened on the 0Z NAM run. Anxiously waiting to see if the updated GFS indicates such a solution, thus building a ridge over the CONUS East coast. Looking at the NAM run, that seems unlikely I suppose. Now that I think about it, I can't really recall any recent storms where the Gulfstream flew to better measure the broader region, where the following model run suddenly or abruptly changed from recent prior model runs
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#1216 Postby floridasun78 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:27 pm

look loop of models their shift little to west http://flhurricane.com/modelanimator.ph ... 7&title=15 look at lat two runs
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1217 Postby chaser1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:29 pm

While we're all sitting back and waiting for the new GFS 0Z, anyone happen to notice the odd large monsoons "gyre-like" low that the 18z GFS was looking to consume nearly the entire GOM lol?
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1218 Postby tolakram » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:30 pm

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1219 Postby tolakram » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:33 pm

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1220 Postby chaser1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:36 pm

floridasun78 wrote:look loop of models their shift little to west http://flhurricane.com/modelanimator.ph ... 7&title=15 look at lat two runs

I suppose. Kinda looks like the typical windshield wipers effect where the models trend a little east for a couple runs .... and then a little west for a couple. Up to now, they've been pretty steady. I do suspect the models to begin a legitimately more west trend - however not at this time. I suspect we'll begin to see this occur in about 24-36 hours as Jose is further weakened by colder SST's.
0 likes   

Return to “2017”