Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: MARIA - Models

#1461 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:09 pm

Moving north

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1462 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:12 pm

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1463 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:24 pm

It'll be interesting to see how the impending death of Jose effects models runs for Maria moving forward. Several of the models have been overdoing the strength of Jose in their projections for days on end.
1 likes   

DESTRUCTION5
Category 5
Category 5

#1464 Postby DESTRUCTION5 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:25 pm

gatorcane wrote:Most models take this out to sea.

They have EPS ensembles now on this image. Looks like a crime scene.
1 likes   
GATOR NATION IS E V E R Y W H E R E !

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#1465 Postby ConvergenceZone » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:36 pm

Even if this does Skirt the Coast, per the latest NHC advisory, this suppose to be 75 mph or less by 120 hours. So we will more than likely just be talking about a tropical storm by then
2 likes   

aperson
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1466 Postby aperson » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:44 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:Even if this does Skirt the Coast, per the latest NHC advisory, this suppose to be 75 mph or less by 120 hours. So we will more than likely just be talking about a tropical storm by then

I can't say I'm a huge fan of tropical storms stalling on a coast line when steering collapses after the precedent set by Harvey this season.
2 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#1467 Postby ConvergenceZone » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:46 pm

aperson wrote:
ConvergenceZone wrote:Even if this does Skirt the Coast, per the latest NHC advisory, this suppose to be 75 mph or less by 120 hours. So we will more than likely just be talking about a tropical storm by then

I can't say I'm a huge fan of tropical storms stalling on a coast line when steering collapses after the precedent set by Harvey this season.

Usually worse case scenarios don't pan out. We've just been EXTREMELY unlucky this year
1 likes   

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#1468 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:46 pm

aperson wrote:

Irma and Jose too. This is the season of steering collapses.
0 likes   

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#1469 Postby Vdogg » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:54 pm

aperson wrote:

NHC hasn't exactly nailed the intensity forecast for any of these storms lately. I wouldn't bet the farm on this assumption.
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#1470 Postby wxmann_91 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Vdogg wrote:
aperson wrote:

NHC hasn't exactly nailed the intensity forecast for any of these storms lately. I wouldn't bet the farm on this assumption.

The NHC has done an outstanding job with the intensity forecasts of these storms, especially considering how many of them have undergone RI.

Not only will Maria experience shear from the ULL to its west, it's going to cross over the cold wake left behind from Jose. I would be surprised if it was above moderate Cat 1 strength at the latitude of Hatteras.
1 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1471 Postby gtalum » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Vdogg wrote:
aperson wrote:

They will tell you themselves that their intensity forecasts are extremely uncertain.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1472 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Don't guess how they've done, look at the verification. http://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/tang/tcguidance/al152017/

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#1473 Postby Vdogg » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:07 pm

wxmann_91 wrote:
Vdogg wrote:
aperson wrote:

The NHC has done an outstanding job with the intensity forecasts of these storms, especially considering how many of them have undergone RI.

Not only will Maria experience shear from the ULL to its west, it's going to cross over the cold wake left behind from Jose. I would be surprised if it was above moderate Cat 1 strength at the latitude of Hatteras.

To be clear, this is not a knock against the NHC. They have said themselves that the intensity forecasts are less than accurate, and they have been.
Last edited by Vdogg on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 likes   

aperson
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1474 Postby aperson » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:08 pm

wxmann_91 wrote:
Vdogg wrote:
aperson wrote:

I'm not sure how deep the 26C thermocline is around the region, but I don't see any evidence of a cold wake; waters are above 26C up to the point that GFS has Maria stalling out at

1 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#1475 Postby stormreader » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:11 pm

tolakram wrote:Image

Ok. All I'm gonna say is "this ain't good". Yeah, its the GFS, but that model usually tends to a right bias. Will watch for new Euro runs over the next 24 hours, but this ain't good. Heck, almost makes the CMC look intelligent. It had a run very similar about two days ago. Of course, need more model verification. But the collapse of steering currents, that lurch left near the Carolina coast. Will see, but "this ain't good".
1 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#1476 Postby stormreader » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:14 pm

stormreader wrote:
tolakram wrote:Image

Ok. All I'm gonna say is "this ain't good". Yeah, its the GFS, but that model usually tends to a right bias. Will watch for new Euro runs over the next 24 hours, but this ain't good. Heck, almost makes the CMC look intelligent. It had a run very similar about two days ago. Of course, need more model verification. But the collapse of steering currents, that lurch left near the Carolina coast. Will see, but "this ain't good".

A stall over Eastern N Carolina (ala Harvey over Texas) is not out of the question. Might not be as prolonged, but a stop could occur there.
2 likes   

aperson
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1477 Postby aperson » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:18 pm

18z GEFS shows a pretty clear bifurcation in outcomes

This seems to occur pretty early due to one group tracking closer to a NW bearing than the other which tracks closer to due N.
1 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#1478 Postby stormreader » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:33 pm

aperson wrote:18z GEFS shows a pretty clear bifurcation in outcomes

This seems to occur pretty early due to one group tracking closer to a NW bearing than the other which tracks closer to due N.

I've been almost totally silent about this storm and possible US landfall, so far. Fl been in the clear for many days now. The path of following Jose seemed pretty clear-cut. But the relatively slow forward speed of Maria, and now the Jose weakening seems to be shutting off that clear and obvious "draft" or tug to the north forecast to occur north of 35N. Real possibility that at about 31-32N you could get this NNW or NW move into the Carolina coast. Some filling in of pressures north of the storm, not like a strong blocking ridge, but just enough to allow Maria to glide with a west component into the Carolina coast. Slow but persistent move there. The weakness (or draft) in Jose's wake can't last forever. Could be problems for Carolina or even Virginia coast.
4 likes   

tpinnola
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1479 Postby tpinnola » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:34 pm

The race is on with that trough in the Midwest!
2 likes   
Not an expert.

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#1480 Postby Vdogg » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:35 pm

tolakram wrote:Don't guess how they've done, look at the verification. http://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/tang/tcguidance/al152017/

Are my eyes playing tricks on me? I didn't realize the Euro had such a huge intensity bias. That's actually shocking to me.
1 likes   

Return to “2017”