0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Dylan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: CPAC: LANE - Hurricane

#1142 Postby Dylan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:32 am

Category 5 Hurricane Lane:

Last edited by Dylan on Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 likes   
Georges('98), Allison('01), Isidore('02), Lili('02), Frances('04) Ivan('04), Cindy('05), Katrina('05), Rita('05), Gustav('08), Isaac('12), Matthew('16), Harvey('17), Irma('17), Nate ('17), Ida ('21).

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#1143 Postby Sciencerocks » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:33 am

Ntxw wrote:
Alyono wrote:
storm_in_a_teacup wrote:
Okay so everyone seems to be saying that Hawaii’s building codes are not built with hurricanes in mind. However I don’t feel like Houston’s buildings are built particularly hurricane resistant either, especially compared to Florida’s.
...Are Hawaii’s buildings really that much more vulnerable, or is it more the fact that it’s a state made of isolated islands?

Many of Hawaii's structures cannot survive a cat 1. Iselle caused major damage to many as a tropical storm

They are also many thousands of miles away from any land. You're just not going to send in supply trucks etc and help that easily should infrastructure fail.

If this comes in as a cat4 it'll be a lot like maria. sadly,
0 likes   

OahuWahine
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1144 Postby OahuWahine » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:36 am

somethingfunny wrote:What building materials are Hawaiian houses made of? I guess I've always assumed they were concrete block structures but...obviously not. Tropical depression Darby causing significant damage seems unbelievable though! Of course it bears remembering that windspeeds increase with elevation and advisories are written for sealevel windspeeds.

Wood, mostly, especially the older construction. My back neighbor has a tin corrugated roof.
2 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#1145 Postby somethingfunny » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:37 am

OahuWahine wrote:
somethingfunny wrote:What building materials are Hawaiian houses made of? I guess I've always assumed they were concrete block structures but...obviously not. Tropical depression Darby causing significant damage seems unbelievable though! Of course it bears remembering that windspeeds increase with elevation and advisories are written for sealevel windspeeds.

Wood, mostly, especially the older construction. My back neighbor has a tin corrugated roof.

I hope you aren't downwind of that tin roof... Did you get boarded up, did your neighbors?
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

NotoSans
Category 5
Category 5

#1146 Postby NotoSans » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:38 am

Central pressure has begun to rise as per latest center sonde.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1147 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:43 am

NotoSans wrote:Central pressure has begun to rise as per latest center sonde.

Gonna need this to start weakening quicker than this.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1148 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:48 am

Alyono wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:00z HWRF putting 120kt hurricane eyewall on the western coast of the big Island.... no good..

and then sending a 105kt hurricane to Oahu ...

Do you have a graphic? Cant see that on tropical tidbits.

disregard that post by Aric. It is not accurate.

HWRF has a cat 1 into Maui and a TS into Oahu

why disregard ? not to get into any major details. but keep in mind elevation on top of data.

there is a linear relationship with the 850 mb forecast( or initialized) winds for the HWRF/dynamical models vs recon and the NHC official intensities for tropical cyclones that are roughly 85kt and above.

essentially with intense hurricanes looking at the 10m winds on the HWRF is far less accurate than the 850mb.

the 850mb winds of the HWRF, in this case, more accurately represent the intensity forecast than the 10m level.

So looking at the HWRF 850mb and the 10m winds

what I said is quite reasonable ...

on top of that, in this case, the fact that a large portion of the population is 50 plus feet above sea level adds to the reasoning of following the 850mb forecast winds and not the 10m.

or better yet.. doing a blend of the two if you like.

at 42 hours right as the eyewall is on the coast of the big island..

hwrf 850mb is 119kts

10m is 105kts.
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1149 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:55 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
Alyono wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

why disregard ? not to get into any major details. but keep in mind elevation on top of data.

there is a linear relationship with the 850 mb forecast( or initialized) winds for the HWRF/dynamical models vs recon and the NHC official intensities for tropical cyclones that are roughly 85kt and above.

essentially with intense hurricanes looking at the 10m winds on the HWRF is far less accurate than the 850mb.

the 850mb winds of the HWRF, in this case, more accurately represent the intensity forecast than the 10m level.

on top of that, in this case, the fact that a large portion of the population is 50 plus feet above sea level adds to the reasoning of following the 850mb forecast winds and not the 10m.

hwrf 850mb is 119kts

10m is 105kts.

Thank you for the explanation.

Damn, just dropping the knowledge on us like that for free?
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1150 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:57 am

Holy crap the models cant initialize anything correctly.

3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

StormChaser75
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1151 Postby StormChaser75 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:01 am

Here is 2 images of Lane from about 1 hour and 30 mins ago.
Last edited by StormChaser75 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

OahuWahine
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1152 Postby OahuWahine » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:01 am

somethingfunny wrote:
OahuWahine wrote:

I hope you aren't downwind of that tin roof... Did you get boarded up, did your neighbors?

I am downwind of him, unfortunately. No one is boarding up, at least not in my area. Went to Home Depot for plywood and the worker that helped me acted like I had a third eye. They're pushing the whole "taping the windows" thing. There was an entire table dedicated to masking and duct tape as soon as you walk in.
2 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1153 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:03 am

OahuWahine wrote:
somethingfunny wrote:
OahuWahine wrote:

I am downwind of him, unfortunately. No one is boarding up, at least not in my area. Went to Home Depot for plywood and the worker that helped me acted like I had a third eye. They're pushing the whole "taping the windows" thing. There was an entire table dedicated to masking and duct tape as soon as you walk in.

No one is boarding their houses next to me. All of us have tin metal roofs lmao.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1154 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:05 am

00z Euro 00-48:

0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1155 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:07 am

Kingarabian wrote:
OahuWahine wrote:
somethingfunny wrote:

No one is boarding their houses next to me. All of us have tin metal roofs lmao.

lol yeah... maybe just go buy one of those giant safety balls that can withstand anything and are waterproof and hop in it and watch :P

5 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#1156 Postby AJC3 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:09 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
Alyono wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

hwrf 850mb is 119kts

10m is 105kts.

While what you say is true here, you needed to make the distinction about exposures at elevation in your OP. That's why it was moved. Hurricane strength/category is defined by the 10m MSW on an over-water exposure, as opposed to wind speeds at higher elevations, which commonly occur at elevated coastal locations such as high-rise buildings and high terrain.
1 likes   

OahuWahine
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1157 Postby OahuWahine » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:09 am

Kingarabian wrote:
OahuWahine wrote:
somethingfunny wrote:

Are you planning on staying? No one I talked to today believes it will hit us. If one more person spouted off the thing about it not hitting because it doesn't have a Hawaiian name, I was going to lose my s%!t.
4 likes   

Mauistorms
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1158 Postby Mauistorms » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:19 am

Here in Upcountry Maui we are in a early 80's cinderblock construction with lots of add ons..
Our roof is original and leaks often with lots of wet rot etc. louvered windows in every room and a tiny hallway. Not sure what to do as I was in Iniki in 92 and feel a little ptsd with this coming after spending hours under a mattress in a carport for that one. Schools out tomorrow here so everyone (my 3 teenagers) thinks its a "hurrication"...
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1159 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:21 am

AJC3 wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
Alyono wrote:

hwrf 850mb is 119kts

10m is 105kts.

While what you say is true here, you needed to make the distinction about exposures at elevation in your OP. That's why it was moved. Hurricane strength/category is defined by the 10m MSW on an over-water exposure, as opposed to wind speeds at higher elevations, which commonly occur at elevated coastal locations such as high-rise buildings and high terrain.

Fair enough I should have mentioned that in the original post.

however,( and this is the point I was trying to make I guess I was too vague) the relationship of the official advisory intensities vs the 850mb HWRF( and others) over the past couple season ( so far ) show that the 850mb winds of the HWRF (for TC's over 85kts) forecast have been more in line with the official intensities based off of recon data than the 10m winds despite the "definition"

I have yet to check if the same applies to satellite-derived intensities.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1160 Postby Alyono » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:25 am

for what its worth, the cmc and navgem shifted well west. 0Z EC similar to 12Z
0 likes   

Return to “2018”