ATL: KIRK - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: KIRK - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#81 Postby abajan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:15 am

I can't read that. It's too small. Could you make it a bit bigger and bolder? :lol:
9 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: ATL: INVEST 99L - Discussion

#82 Postby wxman57 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:17 am

ouragans wrote:
wxman57 wrote:By the way, the graphic below (and speed calculations) was made using an Excel program developed by my former coworker. He is a whiz at Excel. We set the initial time on the first line then type in an hour interval and lat/lons and it plots each point and calculates forward speed between the points.

http://wxman57.com/images/99L.JPG

Very interesting method

He made maps for all parts of the Atlantic basin. The above is the full-basin view. It's a good way to visualize a model consensus track and see how fast a system may move prior to entering the data into our forecast program.
1 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 99L - Discussion

#83 Postby AnnularCane » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:33 am

storm_in_a_teacup wrote:
Hurricane Andrew wrote:

She is chomping on that SAL...look at the outflow boundary, and the sand you can see on the visible.

Don’t assume its gender yet. You are fully aware they’re not mature enough to be sexed unless they’re tropical storm strength :lol:

Yep, as it turns out, this is no "she." Congrats, it's a boy! :lol:
3 likes   

AdamFirst
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#84 Postby AdamFirst » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:40 am

NHC track follows closely to wxman's homemade map
0 likes   
Dolphins Marlins Canes Golden Panthers HEAT
Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Wilma 2005 - Fay 2008 - Isaac 2012 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Dorian 2019 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#85 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:40 am

Abajan.track ends near you but is early.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#86 Postby msbee » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:42 am

abajan wrote:I can't read that. It's too small. Could you make it a bit bigger and bolder? :lol:

Just in case you were not paying attention! :lol: :lol:
0 likes   
Too many hurricanes to remember

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#87 Postby wxman57 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:44 am

Going 50 kts is a big stretch, I think. I'm thinking 30-35 kts max. I'm weakening it to a TD within 24 hrs then possibly up to 35 kts in 4 days as it approaches the Caribbean then back to a TD by day 6 and remnant low day 7.
2 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#88 Postby SFLcane » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:56 am

57 do you foresee any strengthening once in the western part of the Basin? I this low latitude it’s a bit interesting interns of this potentiallly affecting the southeast in some fashion.
0 likes   

meriland29
Category 2
Category 2

#89 Postby meriland29 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:02 am

Kirk has a LONGG way to go, however all models suggest he will be long dead by then...
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#90 Postby wxman57 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:04 am

SFLcane wrote:57 do you foresee any strengthening once in the western part of the Basin? I this low latitude it’s a bit interesting interns of this potentiallly affecting the southeast in some fashion.

I see it dissipating in the south-central Caribbean next Friday/Saturday.
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#91 Postby Shell Mound » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:08 am

Isn't this the southernmost tropical storm to form so far east in the North Atlantic basin since 1851?

Source: https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/

Edit: Indeed, it is—by a tremendous margin. Cue the Trekkies...

https://twitter.com/paulstorms/status/1043519688917958657

1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#92 Postby wxman57 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:22 am

I think it's another indication of just how hostile the MDR is this season. We've had tiny Beryl form south of a SAL outbreak and small/weak Isaac dissipating as it neared the Caribbean. TD Eleven dissipating east of the Caribbean. Now Kirk, which may not survive as a TS to reach the Caribbean.
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#93 Postby Shell Mound » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:29 am

wxman57 wrote:I think it's another indication of just how hostile the MDR is this season. We've had tiny Beryl form south of a SAL outbreak and small/weak Isaac dissipating as it neared the Caribbean. TD Eleven dissipating east of the Caribbean. Now Kirk, which may not survive as a TS to reach the Caribbean.

Respectfully, I think the eastern MDR has actually been quite favourable, while the western MDR, as you mentioned, has been quite hostile. Had the eastern MDR been unfavourable, we would have not witnessed four hurricanes developing in the deep tropics close to West Africa. The fact that we are seeing so many storms, albeit most weak and/or short-lived, in the MDR might be an ominous sign, given the persistence of strong vertical wind shear, subsidence, and cooler-than-average SSTs. The active African monsoon was enough to partly offset the hostile indicators. If 2019 features warmer SSTs and lower vertical wind shear, with all other factors remaining unchanged vs. 2018, we could see another hyperactive season in the MDR, similar to or even more active than 2017. Even 2017 featured only four storms in the MDR: Irma, Jose, Lee, and Maria. We have already seen five in 2018: Beryl, Florence, Helene, Isaac, and now Kirk. Due to the unfavourable western MDR, of course, none of these storms survived to reach the Caribbean. (Florence and Helene, obviously, passed well to the north and east of the Caribbean.) Bottom line: given how hostile most of the indicators have been in 2018, the fact that we are still seeing so much activity seems disconcerting.
Last edited by Shell Mound on Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#94 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:31 am

I am loving the Captain James memes ... We all should have fun with this one as long as Kirk doesn't harm anyone!!
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#95 Postby wxman57 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:44 am

Shell Mound wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I think it's another indication of just how hostile the MDR is this season. We've had tiny Beryl form south of a SAL outbreak and small/weak Isaac dissipating as it neared the Caribbean. TD Eleven dissipating east of the Caribbean. Now Kirk, which may not survive as a TS to reach the Caribbean.

Respectfully, I think the eastern MDR has actually been quite favourable, while the western MDR, as you mentioned, has been quite hostile. Had the eastern MDR been unfavourable, we would have not witnessed four hurricanes developing in the deep tropics close to West Africa. The fact that we are seeing so many storms, albeit most weak and/or short-lived, in the MDR might be an ominous sign, given the persistence of strong vertical wind shear, subsidence, and cooler-than-average SSTs. The active African monsoon was enough to partly offset the hostile indicators. If 2019 features warmer SSTs and lower vertical wind shear, with all other factors remaining unchanged vs. 2018, we could see another hyperactive season in the MDR, similar to or even more active than 2017. Even 2017 featured only four storms in the MDR: Irma, Jose, Lee, and Maria. We have already seen five in 2018: Beryl, Florence, Helene, Isaac, and now Kirk. Due to the unfavourable western MDR, of course, none of these storms survived to reach the Caribbean. (Florence and Helene, obviously, passed well to the north and east of the Caribbean.) Bottom line: given how hostile most of the indicators have been in 2018, the fact that we are still seeing so much activity seems disconcerting.

The MDR, as a whole, has been quite hostile. The only exception has been near the Cabo Verde Islands. Too early to think about 2019.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#96 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:52 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#97 Postby Shell Mound » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:55 am

wxman57 wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:

The MDR, as a whole, has been quite hostile. The only exception has been near the Cabo Verde Islands. Too early to think about 2019.

Respectfully, just to clarify: by "eastern MDR," I meant the part of the MDR that is closest to the Cabo Verde islands and the West African mainland. :wink:

I do think that some extrapolation based on real-time verification could prove potentially useful for generalised, broad, long-range forecasting.
Last edited by Shell Mound on Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#98 Postby Aric Dunn » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:56 am

I am not surprised considering how well it looked last alnight and this morning. Looks much improved compared to yesterday in overall structure. Will likely have this one around awhile.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#99 Postby wxman57 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:09 am

Aric Dunn wrote:I am not surprised considering how well it looked last night and this morning. Looks much improved compared to yesterday in overall structure. Will likely have this one around awhile.

Interesting. Looks less-organized to me. Time to head out on a bike ride between storms.
2 likes   

Cypresso
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#100 Postby Cypresso » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:17 am

Having scanned the thread here I see that I don't have to worry about Kirk. And to think I had some concerns. Back to the chat I go. I enjoy the chat, by the way. Much more comfortable there. :lol:
0 likes   
Houston, Texas. Allison '01, Rita '05, Dolly '08, Ike '08, Issac '12, Harvey '17

Return to “2018”