ATL: MICHAEL - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
cycloneye
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 114793
Age: 62
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

ATL: MICHAEL - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#1 Postby cycloneye » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:21 pm

AL, 91, 2018100418, , BEST, 0, 145N, 832W, 20, 1007, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,
AL, 91, 2018100500, , BEST, 0, 149N, 835W, 20, 1007, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,
AL, 91, 2018100506, , BEST, 0, 153N, 838W, 20, 1007, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,
AL, 91, 2018100512, , BEST, 0, 157N, 840W, 20, 1008, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1010, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036, SPAWNINVEST, al712018 to al912018,
AL, 91, 2018100518, , BEST, 0, 160N, 843W, 25, 1007, DB, 34, NEQ, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, L, 0, , 0, 0, INVEST, S, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,


Thread at Talking Tropics forum that was the topic for this area.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=120008

Image
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:16 pm

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#2 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:26 pm

Well, that was fast.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.


Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

User avatar
Evil Jeremy
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 5011
Age: 25
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:10 pm
Location: Plantation/Sunrise, FL

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#3 Postby Evil Jeremy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:30 pm

cycloneye wrote:
AL, 91, 2018100418, , BEST, 0, 145N, 832W, 20, 1007, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,
AL, 91, 2018100500, , BEST, 0, 149N, 835W, 20, 1007, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,
AL, 91, 2018100506, , BEST, 0, 153N, 838W, 20, 1007, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,
AL, 91, 2018100512, , BEST, 0, 157N, 840W, 20, 1008, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1010, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036, SPAWNINVEST, al712018 to al912018,
AL, 91, 2018100518, , BEST, 0, 160N, 843W, 25, 1007, DB, 34, NEQ, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, L, 0, , 0, 0, INVEST, S, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,


Is "genesis" a new Best Track designation? I don't recall seeing it in prior years? If it's new (and I wouldn't rely on my memory), that would explain why Invests are getting 'tagged' later.
0 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

User avatar
jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 5371
Age: 52
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 5:46 am
Location: NE Fort Lauderdale
Contact:

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#4 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:42 pm

How about the lowest pressure poll, this is a tough system to figure out so whoever wins that gets a gold star
0 likes   

User avatar
meriland29
Category 2
Category 2
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:05 am

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#5 Postby meriland29 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:44 pm

Since seeing what the GFS and EURO have come out with in their latest models, it is really got my attention now. Looks like they presume a tight coiled, smaller hurricane...but smaller hurricanes ramp up pretty fast which is concerning since it will be in those warm water with limited instability around it which will only act in its favor.

It is interesting that last week this was supposed to skirt near the EC and out, then they forecasted it to never formulate really at all, and now a significant system in the gulf. Wow.

I guess the Atlantic isnt done yet
0 likes   

User avatar
cycloneye
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 114793
Age: 62
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#6 Postby cycloneye » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:51 pm

Image
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

User avatar
NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 10068
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:14 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#7 Postby NDG » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:52 pm

cycloneye wrote:
AL, 91, 2018100418, , BEST, 0, 145N, 832W, 20, 1007, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,
AL, 91, 2018100500, , BEST, 0, 149N, 835W, 20, 1007, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,
AL, 91, 2018100506, , BEST, 0, 153N, 838W, 20, 1007, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,
AL, 91, 2018100512, , BEST, 0, 157N, 840W, 20, 1008, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1010, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036, SPAWNINVEST, al712018 to al912018,
AL, 91, 2018100518, , BEST, 0, 160N, 843W, 25, 1007, DB, 34, NEQ, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, L, 0, , 0, 0, INVEST, S, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,


Thread at Talking Tropics forum that was the topic for this area.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=120008

https://i.imgur.com/EYyUVt7.png


Right where I had placed the X a couple of hours ago on my suspected area :)

Image
3 likes   

User avatar
northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 6434
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#8 Postby northjaxpro » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:56 pm

:uarrow:

Good eyes NDG.
1 likes   
Monitoring the 2018-2019 Meteorological Winter Season from Northeast Florida

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 16473
Age: 36
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:58 pm
Location: Chicago.... definately need to be back in the action..
Contact:

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#9 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:03 pm

NDG wrote:
cycloneye wrote:
AL, 91, 2018100418, , BEST, 0, 145N, 832W, 20, 1007, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,
AL, 91, 2018100500, , BEST, 0, 149N, 835W, 20, 1007, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,
AL, 91, 2018100506, , BEST, 0, 153N, 838W, 20, 1007, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,
AL, 91, 2018100512, , BEST, 0, 157N, 840W, 20, 1008, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1010, 100, 90, 0, 0, , 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS036, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036, SPAWNINVEST, al712018 to al912018,
AL, 91, 2018100518, , BEST, 0, 160N, 843W, 25, 1007, DB, 34, NEQ, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1009, 100, 90, 0, 0, L, 0, , 0, 0, INVEST, S, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036,


Thread at Talking Tropics forum that was the topic for this area.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=120008

https://i.imgur.com/EYyUVt7.png


Right where I had placed the X a couple of hours ago on my suspected area :)

https://i.imgur.com/NrjXTx1.gif


had to take a nap lol..
yeah looks like it came out of the convection earlier. has good rotational energy.. just needs convection with it now or it till will spin down and another will form wherever convection develops.
1 likes   
Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

User avatar
meriland29
Category 2
Category 2
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:05 am

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#10 Postby meriland29 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:19 pm

On a side note, how does the sheer/dry air/ and water temps look in the gulf? Specifically the central and eastern half?
0 likes   

Ubuntwo
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#11 Postby Ubuntwo » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:22 pm

meriland29 wrote:On a side note, how does the sheer/dry air/ and water temps look in the gulf? Specifically the central and eastern half?


Image

Image
1 likes   
Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

User avatar
MetroMike
Category 1
Category 1
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:13 pm
Location: Tampa Bay
Contact:

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#12 Postby MetroMike » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:37 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:Well, that was fast.

Not really unless you are being sarcastic.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 1963
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:52 am
Location: Biloxi Beach, Ms

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#13 Postby Frank P » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:41 pm

Well the circulation on the Pacific side of the gyre still looks much better than any little swirls in the Atlantic..
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 16473
Age: 36
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:58 pm
Location: Chicago.... definately need to be back in the action..
Contact:

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#14 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Frank P wrote:Well the circulation on the Pacific side of the gyre still looks much better than any little swirls in the Atlantic..


yeah, thats going to be moving over some high mountains soon so the competition between the two will end soon.
4 likes   
Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

User avatar
wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met
Posts: 18177
Age: 61
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:06 pm
Location: Houston, TX (southwest)

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#15 Postby wxman57 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Note that current shear does not equal future shear. GFS indicates quite strong shear developing across the Gulf as the disturbance moves northward on Monday/Tuesday. I think we're looking at another sheared TS, similar to Gordon. Landfall somewhere between Pascagoula, MS and the mid FL Panhandle Wed afternoon. Went with 45 kts on my forecast. Certainly could not rule out 55-60 kts, but not forecasting that. Not much weather west of the track, and squalls could extend all the way east across the FL Peninsula Tue/Wed.

Image
6 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 16473
Age: 36
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:58 pm
Location: Chicago.... definately need to be back in the action..
Contact:

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#16 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:41 pm

Man looking at the models. if that super narrow trough that develops.. well actually it is the upper low that is currently there but over the next couple days begins to narrow. There is a possibility that trough weakens faster allowing the ridge to build in sooner or another possibility that it might cut off helping to vent it.

going to be an interesting forecast.

all in all the shear forecast is not even close to being set in stone.
3 likes   
Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

User avatar
chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 2722
Age: 57
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Longwood, Fl

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#17 Postby chaser1 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:55 pm

Looking at present visible satellite, I'm just not convinced that the low level swirl co-located with where 91L is presumed to be will (or is) a true dominant point where genesis will occur. The turning is very evident but without convection and this feature appearing to be moving to the west, this area of vorticity could just be one of several vorts that have been shot out of a straw like a spit-ball. "Belize-it" or not, this particular feature might just be transient as well. "Sooner" development would seem to work in tandem with a further west initialization such as what the EURO might suggest, and also imply a track somewhat more to the left (Biloxi/Mobile/Pensacola?). I still believe that a true COC will eventually evolve closer to where the MLC is (or will be). Unless the mid level low (which I believe is east of that point) begins to move westward, then eventual development might be a bit east of some of the more western biased models. It's unknown whether or not that occurs, but the implications would certainly suggest a possibility of eventual landfall a little farther to the east. It's also my thinking that if (and the longer) genesis were delayed, then the farther east the track will be as well. Looking at the present lack of a clear COC and assuming that the present tracked LLC is merely transient, I'm leary of the speed in which nearly all models suggest increased organization supposedly beginning around 12Z Sunday.
5 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.



otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1471
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:06 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#18 Postby otowntiger » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:56 pm

wxman57 wrote:Note that current shear does not equal future shear. GFS indicates quite strong shear developing across the Gulf as the disturbance moves northward on Monday/Tuesday. I think we're looking at another sheared TS, similar to Gordon. Landfall somewhere between Pascagoula, MS and the mid FL Panhandle Wed afternoon. Went with 45 kts on my forecast. Certainly could not rule out 55-60 kts, but not forecasting that. Not much weather west of the track, and squalls could extend all the way east across the FL Peninsula Tue/Wed.

http://wxman57.com/images/shear.png
Good! Sounds pretty non-eventful unless it moves very slowly dropping lots of rain, and significant flooding results. But wind/storm surge wise this won't amount to much. Hopeful for some decent soaking rains here in Orlando but not holding my breath.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 16473
Age: 36
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:58 pm
Location: Chicago.... definately need to be back in the action..
Contact:

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#19 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:01 pm

chaser1 wrote:Looking at present visible satellite, I'm just not convinced that the low level swirl co-located with where 91L is presumed to be will (or is) a true dominant point where genesis will occur. The turning is very evident but without convection and this feature appearing to be moving to the west, this area of vorticity could just be one of several vorts that have been shot out of a straw like a spit-ball. "Belize-it" or not, this particular feature might just be transient as well. "Sooner" development would seem to work in tandem with a further west initialization such as what the EURO might suggest, and also imply a track somewhat more to the left (Biloxi/Mobile/Pensacola?). I still believe that a true COC will eventually evolve closer to where the MLC is (or will be). Unless the mid level low (which I believe is east of that point) begins to move westward, then eventual development might be a bit east of some of the more western biased models. It's unknown whether or not that occurs, but the implications would certainly suggest a possibility of eventual landfall a little farther to the east. It's also my thinking that if (and the longer) genesis were delayed, then the farther east the track will be as well. Looking at the present lack of a clear COC and assuming that the present tracked LLC is merely transient, I'm leary of the speed in which nearly all models suggest increased organization supposedly beginning around 12Z Sunday.


not necessarily, if you notice in the models, the system has been stalling or doing a loop, if the center forms farther east or the whole thing moves slower the next couple days it may very well go farther west as the ridging would have built back in by then. the NE turn on the models is already barely titering on the edge of being trapped.
0 likes   
Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

User avatar
AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 1465
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:18 am
Location: Wytheville, VA

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#20 Postby AnnularCane » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:09 pm

I guess I probably know the answer since there's no thread on it yet, but has recon been scheduled yet?
0 likes   


Return to “2018”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest