ATL: MICHAEL - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

Re: ATL: MICHAEL - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#4241 Postby SconnieCane » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:33 am

I'd like to see some flyovers from Marianna and other inland communities that still got MH winds, at least in gusts. Based on the expected NE turn I thought the worst would be a little east of there in Wewahitchka, Blountstown, Chattahoochee, and Bainbridge (GA), but I haven't heard anything about how those communities fared. I don't know if that means nothing too bad happened there, or just nobody (as far as media/chasers) has bothered to check yet with all the focus on MB/PC.
1 likes   

PandaCitrus
Category 1
Category 1

#4242 Postby PandaCitrus » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:55 am

There's bits and pieces of news on blountstown on twitter. The high school got badly damaged.

https://twitter.com/BBlountstown/status/1050580238814588928

1 likes   

canes92
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#4243 Postby canes92 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:10 am

Michael was truly something else. He was "supposed" to hit as a ts or a low grade hurricane then he quickly turned into a major storm and hit as a 5. Crazy, it all happened so fast too. Now homes, businesses and schools have all been wiped out. People have died. It's shocking.
0 likes   

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#4244 Postby supercane4867 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:22 am

The damage at one of the buildings in Panama City Bay Hospital is the most intense wind damage I've ever seen in a tropical cyclone, and It's not just some wooden structure but a sturdy concrete building.
It had likely hit by a mesovortex with wind gust in excess of 180mph, similar to the winds in an EF4 tornado.

2 likes   

Yellowlab
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4245 Postby Yellowlab » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:40 am

SconnieCane wrote:I'd like to see some flyovers from Marianna and other inland communities that still got MH winds, at least in gusts. Based on the expected NE turn I thought the worst would be a little east of there in Wewahitchka, Blountstown, Chattahoochee, and Bainbridge (GA), but I haven't heard anything about how those communities fared. I don't know if that means nothing too bad happened there, or just nobody (as far as media/chasers) has bothered to check yet with all the focus on MB/PC.

I talked to a friend of mine this morning who went to Chipley yesterday. He said that area is as bad as anything else he's seen, lots of trees down and severe structural damage as well.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4246 Postby tolakram » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:53 am

:uarrow: Some of these structures are not concrete, they just look like it. I would have never known except I watched as they built a new addition to the building I work in. The walls are some type of styrofoam that is sanded (there were pieces all over the parking lot) and then painted with a heavy paint. The result appears to be cement like. I would have never thought this type of construction would be used in a hurricane prone area.
7 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4247 Postby dhweather » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:05 am

Deleted to avoid confusion.
Last edited by dhweather on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4248 Postby toad strangler » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:08 am

tolakram wrote::uarrow: Some of these structures are not concrete, they just look like it. I would have never known except I watched as they built a new addition to the building I work in. The walls are some type of styrofoam that is sanded (there were pieces all over the parking lot) and then painted with a heavy paint. The result appears to be cement like. I would have never thought this type of construction would be used in a hurricane prone area.

It wouldn't be allowed post implementation of the Florida Building Code. Pre code it was the wild wild west. The first edition of the FBC was launched in 2004 after years of exhaustive study following Andrew. It will be very interesting to see how post 2003 built structures fared. They passed with flying colors post Irma.
0 likes   

BobHarlem
Category 5
Category 5

#4249 Postby BobHarlem » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:09 am

dhweather wrote:The En Soleil, twin 15 story Hotel/Condo buildings located just east of Panama City Beach. These were built in 2002, so that's with the post-Andrew strict building codes (Cat 3). Severe structural damage, both of these will have to be demolished.

You basing that on ground reports or the image here? That looks like an image boundary stitching issue from different angles. (GIven the speed at which they got this up, it's totally forgivable)
Last edited by tolakram on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed image links
2 likes   

Gums
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4250 Postby Gums » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:19 am

Salute!

i can't see any pics of damage to the motel/condos.

OTOH, we have pics of El Governor over in Mexico Bech, and that sucker was there when I rented a cottage in 1966!!!

Gums wonders...
1 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4251 Postby dhweather » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:20 am

BobHarlem wrote:
dhweather wrote:The En Soleil, twin 15 story Hotel/Condo buildings located just east of Panama City Beach. These were built in 2002, so that's with the post-Andrew strict building codes (Cat 3). Severe structural damage, both of these will have to be demolished.

-- removed --

You basing that on ground reports or the image here? That looks like an image boundary stitching issue from different angles. (GIven the speed at which they got this up, it's totally forgivable)

That is absolutely possible - I haven't found any ground photos yet.
Last edited by tolakram on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed image links
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

WAcyclone
Category 1
Category 1

#4252 Postby WAcyclone » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:29 am

Some absolutely unprecedented videos of the stadium effect have just been uploaded. The time-lapse starting at 4:42 into the first video seems surreal...

Link: https://youtu.be/H-iRXYRRGXQ

Link: https://youtu.be/JWkgFz3e__w

Quote from someone in the first video: "There are some guys who chased hurricanes for their whole life. They have seen like dozens and dozens of them and never had anything like this."
Last edited by WAcyclone on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
14 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#4253 Postby EquusStorm » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:39 am

The videos coming out of this are probably nearly if not THE most jaw dropping tropical cyclone videos ever taken. Iniki, Charley, Katrina, Maria, Odile and a few others can certainly vie for top billing in one way or another, but just the chaser surge videos and the eye videos alone are outright humbling.
6 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4254 Postby tolakram » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:00 am

Hands down that is the most amazing video footage I've ever seen. Beautiful and scary as hell.
3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4255 Postby dhweather » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:06 am

tolakram wrote:Hands down that is the most amazing video footage I've ever seen. Beautiful and scary as hell.

Particularly where the eyewall is coming back in at the end - literally 0 to 100 in seconds.
1 likes   

rhwxgeek
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4256 Postby rhwxgeek » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:22 am

tolakram wrote:Hands down that is the most amazing video footage I've ever seen. Beautiful and scary as hell.

It is like a like a literal wall as the back side of the eye moves across. Amazing and terrifying all at the same time!
1 likes   

Gums
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4257 Postby Gums » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:40 am

Salute!

Super real time videos, agreed.

For damage, not as bad as post-Katrina, not close.

See post Rita/Ike and such at TX-LA border towns:

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/and-a ... -louisiana

https://coastal.er.usgs.gov/hurricanes/ ... arish.html

See the Wunderground Katrina surge sequence. https://www.wunderground.com/education/ ... ntents.asp
Especially: https://www.wunderground.com/education/ ... part09.asp where my Uncle and cousin lived....

I drove 13 miles along that coast three or four months later and my wife and I saw only a handful of places that looked inhabited, but a thousand, not hundreds, of slabs, empty concrete pilings and debris.

Make no mistake, this one was bad, really bad. I lived in Mexico Beach for a few months long ago, but I can still see places that were there back then. They will recover and re-build and prosper because it's a really neat place and has great people.
+++++++++++++++++++++=
The "good" things from Michael for most will be better construction and mainly better judgement about where to build. The "good" things about NHC and our government folks will be looking at what worked and what didn't on their plans, warning system and recovery assets.

Gums sends...
3 likes   

FLpanhandle91
Category 4
Category 4

#4258 Postby FLpanhandle91 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:56 am

Gums wrote:Salute!

Super real time videos, agreed.

For damage, not as bad as post-Katrina, not close.

See post Rita/Ike and such at TX-LA border towns:

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/and-a ... -louisiana

https://coastal.er.usgs.gov/hurricanes/ ... arish.html

See the Wunderground Katrina surge sequence. https://www.wunderground.com/education/ ... ntents.asp
Especially: https://www.wunderground.com/education/ ... part09.asp where my Uncle and cousin lived....

I drove 13 miles along that coast three or four months later and my wife and I saw only a handful of places that looked inhabited, but a thousand, not hundreds, of slabs, empty concrete pilings and debris.

Make no mistake, this one was bad, really bad. I lived in Mexico Beach for a few months long ago, but I can still see places that were there back then. They will recover and re-build and prosper because it's a really neat place and has great people.
+++++++++++++++++++++=
The "good" things from Michael for most will be better construction and mainly better judgement about where to build. The "good" things about NHC and our government folks will be looking at what worked and what didn't on their plans, warning system and recovery assets.

Gums sends...

I think we are talking about a different type of damage here. As far as wind damage, the images coming out of Mexico Beach and points nearby are the worst I have seen since Hurricane Andrew in the US in regards to wind damage. Katrina carried catastrophic surge into coastal Mississippi (upwards of 28 feet) and I believe that is what caused a large chunk of the damage in those areas. Rita and Ike both also carried massive storm surges with them. Although Michaels surge impact was severe, it doesn't match the storms you mentioned.
7 likes   
Global model run times (CST):
GFS - 0z: 10:30pm, 6z: 4:30am, 12z: 10:30am, 18z: 4:30pm Euro - 0z: 12:30am 12z: 12:30pm

Gums
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4259 Postby Gums » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Salute!

You are correct "Panhandle".

The surge was 80 - 90% of Katrina and maybe only 60% of Rita at Holly Beach. In fact, in 1957 I was throwing papers in NOLA the afternoon Audrey hit Cameron, LA. A coupla hundred died, but the wind was not half the reason, not close. Although over a hundred miles away, I could feel the wind on my bike, but did not realize what was happening over there in Cameron.

And so the next afternoon I read the papers I was delivering and I got religion. I am close to water, but over 60 feet up and not directly facing the Gulf as the folks in Waveland and Pass Christian and Long Beach and Gulfport and Mexico Beach.

I have all the latest code fixtures and have endured two very close hits and steady 110 to120 steady winds. But I ain't staying if I don't have to because of a late warning and jammed hiways. The Katrina warnings were earlie than we had back in the 80's or 60's, but the Michael ones were behind a bit, IMHO. So I am surprised we didn't have mass casualties, figure many homes and such were built to better codes than we had years ago. Whew!

I hope folks think about where they build and how to build and then talk to survivors about what works and what doesn't and "know when to fold'em".

Gums opines...
1 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#4260 Postby Shell Mound » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:19 pm

SconnieCane wrote:I'd like to see some flyovers from Marianna and other inland communities that still got MH winds, at least in gusts. Based on the expected NE turn I thought the worst would be a little east of there in Wewahitchka, Blountstown, Chattahoochee, and Bainbridge (GA), but I haven't heard anything about how those communities fared. I don't know if that means nothing too bad happened there, or just nobody (as far as media/chasers) has bothered to check yet with all the focus on MB/PC.

https://twitter.com/TabithaZaffuto/status/1050502497587085312

https://twitter.com/sml_uf97/status/1050592639521882112

https://twitter.com/Michell92425075/status/1050539922300514304

https://twitter.com/jeffreyscott88/status/1050358641021386752

https://twitter.com/DannyLeBlanc24/status/1050163509206638592

1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Return to “2018”