ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

All past storm threads will be archived here by year.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#101 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:59 pm

12z UKMET actually does show some development, way more than the ECMWF in any case. Weak TS.

Image
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met
Posts: 16137
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:03 pm
Location: NC

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Discussion

#102 Postby RL3AO » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:07 pm

bqknight wrote:
RL3AO wrote:
bqknight wrote:
Thanks! I wonder if this is the COTC or CTCX version...

Only goes out to 120 hours - but looks to be getting its act together as it gets closer to 50W.


I'm honestly not sure. I've never really looked at COAMPS because it was bad. But it looks like one of those models that rapidly changes and upgrades compared to the more public operational models. It did so well with Dorian that I'll probably watch it more closely going forward.


I remember the same - that's why I was wondering if for some reason those numbers may be off. Interesting...



It wasn't an error. It did very well.

Image
0 likes   

User avatar
Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Discussion

#103 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:30 pm

RL3AO wrote:
bqknight wrote:
RL3AO wrote:
I'm honestly not sure. I've never really looked at COAMPS because it was bad. But it looks like one of those models that rapidly changes and upgrades compared to the more public operational models. It did so well with Dorian that I'll probably watch it more closely going forward.


I remember the same - that's why I was wondering if for some reason those numbers may be off. Interesting...



It wasn't an error. It did very well.

https://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/coamps_docs/codta/tc_vrf/2019/mids/al052019.CTCX_vrf.trks.png


That's actually kind of incredible. Any chance there's a way to view this model when it's being run during an active storm?
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

sma10
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1060
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:13 pm

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#104 Postby sma10 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
sma10 wrote:
Ukmet does develop. Euro is the only major model that does not


Looked very weak from what I saw, maybe I was looking at an outdated run...


Yeah its very weak on the UKMET @ 1010mb. Maybe on the 00z run it'll develop it more.


It's really not that far out of alignment with the other models.
The models basic story seems to be, sit back a while, as we will not see any development at all for the next several days. 50W is when the action may begin
2 likes   

User avatar
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 11006
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#105 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:33 pm

sma10 wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
Looked very weak from what I saw, maybe I was looking at an outdated run...


Yeah its very weak on the UKMET @ 1010mb. Maybe on the 00z run it'll develop it more.


It's really not that far out of alignment with the other models.
The models basic story seems to be, sit back a while, as we will not see any development at all for the next several days. 50W is when the action may begin

Yeah I agree. UKMET is almost as strong as the CMC @ 144 hours. Also interesting that the GFS-Legacy doesn't develop it.
0 likes   

User avatar
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 3995
Age: 41
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Sunrise Florida

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#106 Postby SFLcane » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:19 pm

GFS correcting towards the Euro.
0 likes   

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1100
Age: 19
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:14 am
Location: Jupiter, FL

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#107 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:24 pm

SFLcane wrote:GFS correcting towards the Euro.

Hard to say "correcting." There is still a very good chance that this develops in the next 7 days despite what the models say.
3 likes   

User avatar
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 11006
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#108 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:29 pm

SFLcane wrote:GFS correcting towards the Euro.

Honestly we just need to wait 5-6 days until it reaches the islands. We won't know until then despite what the models show or not showing.
3 likes   

User avatar
CyclonicFury
Category 4
Category 4
Posts: 908
Age: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:32 pm
Location: NC
Contact:

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#109 Postby CyclonicFury » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:29 pm

AxaltaRacing24 wrote:
SFLcane wrote:GFS correcting towards the Euro.

Hard to say "correcting." There is still a very good chance that this develops in the next 7 days despite what the models say.

Agreed. It's way too early to just say it's "correcting" to the ECMWF when the NHC still gives this a high chance of development. We'll see how things look in a few days.
5 likes   
NCSU meteorology student and weather blogger at www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

User avatar
Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#110 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:32 pm

SFLcane wrote:GFS correcting towards the Euro.


Really hard for me to see the Euro being correct here, having struggled multiple times in the past with this setup (small storm, high pressure environment), but I guess we'll see. Doesn't show any significant development in the Atlantic for nearly two weeks. I really doubt that, even in 2013 we saw some development.

EDIT: GFS develops the wave immediately behind 94L though, which might be why 94L struggles on this run.
5 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

User avatar
TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 6068
Age: 25
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:38 pm
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#111 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:47 pm

GFS and Euro both like the wave behind 94L now. 94L still could develop but it might not amount to much.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 2065
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:16 pm

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#112 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:50 pm

I don’t think GFS losing the system for one run signifies correction towards the Euro...
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.


Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

sma10
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1060
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:13 pm

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#113 Postby sma10 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:12 pm

SFLcane wrote:GFS correcting towards the Euro.


Really too early to make a judgment like that. I think the models are depicting a complicated scenario around 50-55W, possibly with two competing systems
6 likes   

User avatar
Hammy
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4125
Age: 36
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#114 Postby Hammy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:27 pm

sma10 wrote:
SFLcane wrote:GFS correcting towards the Euro.


Really too early to make a judgment like that. I think the models are depicting a complicated scenario around 50-55W, possibly with two competing systems


That would certainly make sense, especially given the GEM's looping around. The question at the moment is likely which wave between 94L and the one behind it will actually develop--the models that are showing no development are likely having trouble resolving the situation.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
---
My comics.
http://tba.cfw.me/
http://tbakids.cfw.me/

sma10
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1060
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:13 pm

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#115 Postby sma10 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:04 pm

Hammy wrote:
sma10 wrote:
SFLcane wrote:GFS correcting towards the Euro.


Really too early to make a judgment like that. I think the models are depicting a complicated scenario around 50-55W, possibly with two competing systems


That would certainly make sense, especially given the GEM's looping around. The question at the moment is likely which wave between 94L and the one behind it will actually develop--the models that are showing no development are likely having trouble resolving the situation.


Agreed. Even the Euro, which is really the only model showing zilch, has a strong signature in the ensembles of development in the longer range
3 likes   

User avatar
1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4914
Age: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:04 pm
Location: College Station, TX
Contact:

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Discussion

#116 Postby 1900hurricane » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:11 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
RL3AO wrote:
bqknight wrote:
I remember the same - that's why I was wondering if for some reason those numbers may be off. Interesting...



It wasn't an error. It did very well.

https://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/coamps_docs/codta/tc_vrf/2019/mids/al052019.CTCX_vrf.trks.png


That's actually kind of incredible. Any chance there's a way to view this model when it's being run during an active storm?

RAL plots it on its page.

RAL Tropical Cyclone Guidance Project
3 likes   
Wayward meteorology student on a journey back to the promised land.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

lando
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:44 am
Location: Tampa

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#117 Postby lando » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:05 am

00z GFS develops wave behind it, sends it to SE bahamas and OTS
00z CMC much further south, develops humberto into a caribbean rider cruising through the lesser antilles...could be a problem down the line
00z Icon develops one behind it

zero on euro
0 likes   

hurricaneCW
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1651
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:20 am
Location: Toms River, NJ

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#118 Postby hurricaneCW » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:26 am

Good chance this one's a low rider, Caribbean perhaps, I expect models to show more development down the road.

The next wave after this does get developed by the GFS/Euro and it'll likely have a further north track though could still get pretty close to the US given broad eastern to Atlantic ridging in place.

Both will be threats starting late next week.
1 likes   

User avatar
Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 6433
Age: 39
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:24 pm
Location: central florida

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#119 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:57 am

lando wrote:00z GFS develops wave behind it, sends it to SE bahamas and OTS
00z CMC much further south, develops humberto into a caribbean rider cruising through the lesser antilles...could be a problem down the line
00z Icon develops one behind it

zero on euro


Euro is also the wave behind
0 likes   

User avatar
Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#120 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:26 am

lando wrote:00z GFS develops wave behind it, sends it to SE bahamas and OTS
00z CMC much further south, develops humberto into a caribbean rider cruising through the lesser antilles...could be a problem down the line
00z Icon develops one behind it

zero on euro


00z ECMWF actually does develop it into a tropical storm... in the Gulf of Mexico.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.


Return to “Storm Archives”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests