ATL: HUMBERTO - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 95L - Discussion

#181 Postby sma10 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
NDG wrote:I have been saying all along that this is an area that tropical systems that have come through this area have organized more than the models have shown. I will not be surprised at all it 95L becomes a strong TS if not a weak Cat 1 before coming across FL.

Agreed. With 72 hours of water ahead.. plenty of time.

Not the same situation ... but the famous Labor Day Hurricane in the middle Keys, was still just a Tropical Storm at 77W. It went from TS to Cat 5 between 77W and 80W. Obviously, this won't be the same case, but just to show, this area doesn't need much to get going a bit.
3 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#182 Postby weathaguyry » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Current Shear

4 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#183 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Notice the continued deep convection has pushed back the shear and forced theupperjigh farther north
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#184 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:39 pm

sma10 wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
NDG wrote:I have been saying all along that this is an area that tropical systems that have come through this area have organized more than the models have shown. I will not be surprised at all it 95L becomes a strong TS if not a weak Cat 1 before coming across FL.

Not the same situation ... but the famous Labor Day Hurricane in the middle Keys, was still just a Tropical Storm at 77W. It went from TS to Cat 5 between 77W and 80W. Obviously, this won't be the same case, but just to show, this area doesn't need much to get going a bit.

Don't forget about Dorian's organization in just under 48 hours either.
0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#185 Postby ronjon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Com'on where's wxman57 to throw cold water on development now...we need you buddy!
13 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#186 Postby sma10 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:46 pm

AxaltaRacing24 wrote:
sma10 wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

I think this is the area of tropical cyclone genesis/strengthening that is the most fascinating. You don't need a massive area of perfect upper winds. There can be tons of shear along the basin, but if a system finds a little pocket of favorable winds, sometimes that's all it needs
4 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#187 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Hard for me to see this getting anywhere close to hurricane status at all, let alone before reaching FL. That ULL is pretty intense and imparting some pretty heavy shear over it. Reminds me of a weak, anemic TS Florida got in 2010 (Bonnie, I think).
3 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

aperson
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#188 Postby aperson » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:51 pm

That shear is organized to enhance outflow if the CoC tucks into the low shear center. Definitely a case of "not all 30kt shear is the same".
3 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#189 Postby northjaxpro » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:53 pm

sma10 wrote:
AxaltaRacing24 wrote:
sma10 wrote:

I think this is the area of tropical cyclone genesis/strengthening that is the most fascinating. You don't need a massive area of perfect upper winds. There can be tons of shear along the basin, but if a system finds a little pocket of favorable winds, sometimes that's all it needs

Yep. It is amazing how many times I have seen this happen in these instances in this part of the basin in and around the Bahamas and the Florida Straits. This area of the basin has its own legacy in birthing some monsters that's for sure!!!
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#190 Postby SFLcane » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:02 pm

ronjon wrote:

Com'on where's wxman57 to throw cold water on development now...we need you buddy!

12 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#191 Postby wxman57 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:03 pm

ronjon wrote:

Been busy today. What disturbance? ;-)

With moderate (at least) SW shear over a system like this, watch for a track to the right/east of where you initially think it will go. It may track right up the FL Peninsula and never reach TS strength. UK keeps it east of Florida and strengthens it to a strong TS long after it's inland over SC. I wouldn't tend to buy that intensity forecast, but it could well track up the east side of Florida as a sheared TD/TS. For now, hurricane chances look low (10-15%).
15 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#192 Postby jlauderdal » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:04 pm

ronjon wrote:

squally weather, winds 20-30, some rain, hope no more because i have worked 12 days straight and over labor day -wxman57

he will tell it like he sees it, nothing more, nothing less..he is usually right
1 likes   

jfk08c
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#193 Postby jfk08c » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Think this system is going to surprise a lot of people. Plenty of time over bathwater and little to no land interaction before Florida.
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#194 Postby jlauderdal » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:06 pm

jfk08c wrote:Think this system is going to surprise a lot of people. Plenty of time over bathwater and little to no land interaction before Florida.
you have one major league inhibiting factor, shear
2 likes   

jdjaguar
Category 2
Category 2

#195 Postby jdjaguar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:08 pm

jfk08c wrote:Think this system is going to surprise a lot of people. Plenty of time over bathwater and little to no land interaction before Florida.

Dorian surprised just about everyone.
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#196 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Another thing to mention: SHIPS does not perform well with undeveloped systems, so I would not use it at this time. Conditions are far less conducive than DORIAN's. I would anticipate either a) no development or b) a strong tropical storm that stays just east of FL. Given relatively high environmental pressures, a compact centre could still form in about three days, depending on the location of the system, relative to the cutoff low in the Gulf of Mexico.
1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#197 Postby wxman57 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Shell Mound wrote:Another thing to mention: SHIPS does not perform well with undeveloped systems, so I would not use it at this time. Conditions are far less conducive than DORIAN's.

I agree. Shear is quite evident across the disturbance, and it's not weak. Can't use a statistical intensity program for 95L.
3 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#198 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Euro showing almost a upper high over it near landfall.. if this is any slower it looks like it might find a better environment.. upper low gets farther away

2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#199 Postby northjaxpro » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:22 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:Hard for me to see this getting anywhere close to hurricane status at all, let alone before reaching FL. That ULL is pretty intense and imparting some pretty heavy shear over it. Reminds me of a weak, anemic TS Florida got in 2010 (Bonnie, I think).

Don't say that to residents of Northwest Jacksonville. Bonnie spawned a tornado that touched down in that area of Jax and caused a bit of damage as the TS moved through the region.Fortunately no fatalities occured. So Bonnie did not come through here at that time without some notice that is for sure! BTW this happened in 2004 with TS Bonnie
Last edited by northjaxpro on Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#200 Postby GeneratorPower » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:24 pm

SFLcane wrote:
ronjon wrote:

He showed up literally within seconds of your countdown. Well done, sir. Well done.
9 likes   

Return to “2019”