ATL: IMELDA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

oldframe
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: IMELDA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#621 Postby oldframe » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:58 pm

austin06 wrote:Wow. Didn’t expect so much flooding again. Poor Houston area. Hope things recover as quickly as possible. So sorry for the people who are having to deal with a flooding event again.

We are in the Austin area and flew to fl weds for a funeral. We are driving back Sunday and will be going through Houston area on Monday. We are wondering if we should anticipate rerouting around the area to the north and planning for the extra time that may take.

Any word or thoughts on travel through the area in the next few days? Sounds pretty troublesome with some of the major highways closed.

Most of the Houston area is moving again. If you encounter problems, it will likely be on I-10 between Lake Charles and East Houston. Google Maps and Waze both handle the real-time closures and traffic pretty well. I'd say just check those before you head out and often along your trip.
1 likes   

storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: IMELDA - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#622 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Portastorm wrote:
newtotex wrote:What makes this part of Texas )”(and the U.S) probe to these types of extreme rain-making storms? I’m talking about other than topography, like, what are the enviro factors that cause it?

Off of the top of my head, the only tropical system I can remember in the SE (the only other area I’m familiar with) is Hurricane Danny back in the 90’s, it dropped huge amount of rain in AL/MS/FL

But, in this area in the past 10-20 years they have had: Allison, Harvey and now Imelda

I can't find it right now but yesterday on Twitter there was an article link and it was written by some pro mets about this issue. It has to do with the inflow of Gulf moisture, Pacific moisture, and the unique geographical features of SE Texas which place it in this sort of triangle for worst case scenarios with tropical systems. We see this in Texas sometimes in the fall when a Pacific hurricane recurves and the moisture comes into the state, we have lower level Gulf inflow, and a cold front sagging through the state. The combination of those factors has created some major rain events in the past. In this case though, the "players" can be more intense depending on the system.

Perhaps someone else saw what I saw and can link to it.

Was Pacific moisture involved with Harvey at all? I know a stationary front played a big role that time.
0 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

JayTX
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#623 Postby JayTX » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:24 pm

oldframe wrote:
austin06 wrote:Wow. Didn’t expect so much flooding again. Poor Houston area. Hope things recover as quickly as possible. So sorry for the people who are having to deal with a flooding event again.

We are in the Austin area and flew to fl weds for a funeral. We are driving back Sunday and will be going through Houston area on Monday. We are wondering if we should anticipate rerouting around the area to the north and planning for the extra time that may take.

Any word or thoughts on travel through the area in the next few days? Sounds pretty troublesome with some of the major highways closed.

Most of the Houston area is moving again. If you encounter problems, it will likely be on I-10 between Lake Charles and East Houston. Google Maps and Waze both handle the real-time closures and traffic pretty well. I'd say just check those before you head out and often along your trip.

You might want to by pass Houston. There's a barge that hit I believe the San Jacinto bridge on IH-10 before Houston and destroyed one concrete column badly and damaged 2 more from the footage I saw on the weather channel.
1 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#624 Postby Portastorm » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:56 pm

:uarrow:

I-10 between Beaumont and Winnie (in both directions) is closed as of 2:30 pm Friday. I-10 is also closed on the East Freeway in Houston in Channelview over the San Jacinto River per the aforementioned issues. Best resource if you are wanting to know road conditions and status is this website:

https://drivetexas.org
2 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

oldframe
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#625 Postby oldframe » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:11 pm

JayTX wrote:
oldframe wrote:

You might want to by pass Houston. There's a barge that hit I believe the San Jacinto bridge on IH-10 before Houston and destroyed one concrete column badly and damaged 2 more from the footage I saw on the weather channel.

Ignore me. Use Drivetexas.org and follow official info. I-10 is closed on your route, so you will need to detour.
Last edited by oldframe on Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

oldframe
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#626 Postby oldframe » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:14 pm

Portastorm wrote::uarrow:

I-10 between Beaumont and Winnie (in both directions) is closed as of 2:30 pm Friday. I-10 is also closed on the East Freeway in Houston in Channelview over the San Jacinto River per the aforementioned issues. Best resource if you are wanting to know road conditions and status is this website:

https://drivetexas.org

Oh wow yeah you're right! Thanks for this resource. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't know about that site, despite being a Houstonian doing lots of travel during these yearly <s>50 trillion year flood events</sarcasm>.
3 likes   

setxweathergal64
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#627 Postby setxweathergal64 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:16 pm

HouTXmetro wrote:Is there a thread for what might happen next week?

I cant find one. But do tell... :)
0 likes   
Texas Strong ❤

mpic
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#628 Postby mpic » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:20 pm

Are you kidding me? Pouring down rain in Splendora, TX right now.
1 likes   
NE of Houston

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#629 Postby EquusStorm » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:37 pm

I really, really, really don't like the idea of potentially retiring names of storms that did 99.9% of their damage as a tropical depression and only were worthy of naming for a few hours and only very barely, buuuut, if a name becomes associated with a major disaster despite being done by a storm well below naming threshold at the time, that's still the point of name retirement. I'm becoming convinced we should legitimately remove the letter 'I' altogether from the naming lists leaving 20 yearly names since we are beginning to run out of usable I names, being retired basically every 2-3 years (not to mention the FOUR year streak in 2001-2004) Might join Igor and Irma in being retired their very first use this decade alone. And Ike in 2008. Ingrid lasted only two uses. Of course, that'd just mean J names start dropping rapidly lol
0 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#630 Postby jasons2k » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:00 am

I added another 1.33" today (technically yesterday now). 11.91" storm total from Imelda. I needed the rain, but glad to see you go. Onto the next...
2 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#631 Postby Ptarmigan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:48 am

Portastorm wrote:
newtotex wrote:What makes this part of Texas )”(and the U.S) probe to these types of extreme rain-making storms? I’m talking about other than topography, like, what are the enviro factors that cause it?

Off of the top of my head, the only tropical system I can remember in the SE (the only other area I’m familiar with) is Hurricane Danny back in the 90’s, it dropped huge amount of rain in AL/MS/FL

But, in this area in the past 10-20 years they have had: Allison, Harvey and now Imelda

I can't find it right now but yesterday on Twitter there was an article link and it was written by some pro mets about this issue. It has to do with the inflow of Gulf moisture, Pacific moisture, and the unique geographical features of SE Texas which place it in this sort of triangle for worst case scenarios with tropical systems. We see this in Texas sometimes in the fall when a Pacific hurricane recurves and the moisture comes into the state, we have lower level Gulf inflow, and a cold front sagging through the state. The combination of those factors has created some major rain events in the past. In this case though, the "players" can be more intense depending on the system.

Perhaps someone else saw what I saw and can link to it.

October 1994 (Rosa), October 1998 (Lester and Madeline), October 2015 (Patricia), and presumably November 1940 come to mind.

I would not be surprised if 1899 Brazos, 1921 Thrall, Alice Beulah, Amelia, Claudette, and Harvey got moisture from Gulf Of Mexico and Pacific.
1 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#632 Postby 1900hurricane » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:58 pm

2 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Return to “2019”