Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: EPSILON - Tropical Storm

#101 Postby Ubuntwo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:42 am

Iceresistance wrote:
gfsperpendicular wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:BREAKING
here is the intensity forecast from the NHC. DO NOT USE THIS TO MAKE DESCISIONS

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use the NHC forecast to make decisions, if not that, then what?

You should make decisions only if the intensity is certain.

Intensity forecasts are *never* certain, that's kinda the point of their messaging. They're still the best resource available for decision making.
2 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#102 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:48 am

Iceresistance wrote:
gfsperpendicular wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:BREAKING
here is the intensity forecast from the NHC. DO NOT USE THIS TO MAKE DESCISIONS

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use the NHC forecast to make decisions, if not that, then what?

NHC is the official information so that is what you should go by. And intensity is very rarely certain as they usually state in their discussions
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#103 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:13 pm

Remnants of Epsilon on tropical tidbits... That's got to be wrong, right?
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#104 Postby aspen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:14 pm

Weather Dude wrote:Remnants of Epsilon on tropical tidbits... That's got to be wrong, right?

Definitely. This is still a TC, and convection is now covering the CoC better than before.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#105 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:15 pm

aspen wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:Remnants of Epsilon on tropical tidbits... That's got to be wrong, right?

Definitely. This is still a TC, and convection is now covering the CoC better than before.

Yeah that's what I see too, looks like someone made a typo in the files lol... Oops
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#106 Postby aspen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Looks like there's a dry slot but there has been some more convection firing over the CoC.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#107 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:27 pm

Ubuntwo wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
gfsperpendicular wrote:I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use the NHC forecast to make decisions, if not that, then what?

Intensity forecasts are *never* certain, that's kinda the point of their messaging. They're still the best resource available for decision making.

True
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#108 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:29 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
gfsperpendicular wrote:I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use the NHC forecast to make decisions, if not that, then what?

NHC is the official information so that is what you should go by. And intensity is very rarely certain as they usually state in their discussions

Very true, tropical cyclones can explosively intensify just before landfall. (Charley 2004)
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#109 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:30 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:You should make decisions only if the intensity is certain.

Very true, tropical cyclones can explosively intensify just before landfall. (Charley 2004)

Not just before landfall lol. They can strengthen or weaken unexpectedly anywhere
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#110 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:55 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:NHC is the official information so that is what you should go by. And intensity is very rarely certain as they usually state in their discussions

Not just before landfall lol. They can strengthen or weaken unexpectedly anywhere

Marco 2020 weakened faster than expected, Hurricane Leslie in 2018 was a wacko storm.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#111 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:55 pm

aspen wrote:Looks like there's a dry slot but there has been some more convection firing over the CoC.
https://i.imgur.com/63uGAxH.png

This looks like more of a Subtropical Storm.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#112 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:01 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:Very true, tropical cyclones can explosively intensify just before landfall. (Charley 2004)

Marco 2020 weakened faster than expected, Hurricane Leslie in 2018 was a wacko storm.

The ultimate example is 5 years ago tomorrow, TD20-E formed in the EPAC, the initial forecast called for a 100mph Cat 2 peak before landfall in Mexico, the rest is history. That happened only a couple months after I started tracking the tropics so watching that unfold was pretty insane.

Anyway back to Epsilon, convection looks to be firing again on the west side
2 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#113 Postby Ubuntwo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:23 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
aspen wrote:Looks like there's a dry slot but there has been some more convection firing over the CoC.

The circulation is clearly very tight and well-defined, usually STCs have more broad circulations with displaced wind maxes.
2 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#114 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:27 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:Not just before landfall lol. They can strengthen or weaken unexpectedly anywhere

The ultimate example is 5 years ago tomorrow, TD20-E formed in the EPAC, the initial forecast called for a 100mph Cat 2 peak before landfall in Mexico, the rest is history. That happened only a couple months after I started tracking the tropics so watching that unfold was pretty insane.

Me thinking about this storm make me feel stressed out. (I started tracking the tropical in June 2015.)
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#115 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:28 pm

Ubuntwo wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

The circulation is clearly very tight and well-defined, usually STCs have more broad circulations with displaced wind maxes.

True that, the system is starting to look like a TS because there is convection blowing up the the west side of the circulation.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

HurricaneEnzo
Category 2
Category 2

#116 Postby HurricaneEnzo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Epsilon has a tenacious LLC. It is really ripping right now.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/sat ... t=vis-swir
0 likes   
Bertha 96' - Fran 96' - Bonnie 98' - Dennis 99' - Floyd 99' - Isabel 03' - Alex 04' - Ophelia 05' - Irene 11' - Arthur 14' - Matthew 16' - Florence 18' - Dorian 19' - Isaias 20' (countless other tropical storms and Hurricane swipes)

I am not a Professional Met just an enthusiast. Get your weather forecasts from the Pros!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#117 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:51 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:Marco 2020 weakened faster than expected, Hurricane Leslie in 2018 was a wacko storm.

Me thinking about this storm make me feel stressed out. (I started tracking the tropical in June 2015.)

That's about the same time I started too. Can't believe it's already been 5 years!
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby aspen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:57 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:The ultimate example is 5 years ago tomorrow, TD20-E formed in the EPAC, the initial forecast called for a 100mph Cat 2 peak before landfall in Mexico, the rest is history. That happened only a couple months after I started tracking the tropics so watching that unfold was pretty insane.

That's about the same time I started too. Can't believe it's already been 5 years!

I started in the worst year possible: 2013. Hurricane Sandy was what got me interested in meteorology. However, I was pretty on-and-off when it came to tracking until late 2015 with Hurricane Joaquin.

Back to Epsilon, the experimental satellite estimate puts it at 40 kt. Let’s see if the 18z best track agrees.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#119 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:03 pm

aspen wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

I started in the worst year possible: 2013. Hurricane Sandy was what got me interested in meteorology. However, I was pretty on-and-off when it came to tracking until late 2015 with Hurricane Joaquin.

Back to Epsilon, the experimental satellite estimate puts it at 40 kt. Let’s see if the 18z best track agrees.

I'm surprised you didn't quit after 2013 lol... I've always been interested in tracking weather, but since Im in Oklahoma it has always been tornadoes and severe weather, but when TD Bill came over my house I was like"Hmm I wonder what other storms are out there" and the rest is history. First 2 storms I tracked were Cat 4 Goni and Cat 5 Atsani in the WPAC, pretty insane storms and I've been tracking ever since.

In regards to Epsilon, I would think they will up the winds
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#120 Postby aspen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:12 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
aspen wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:That's about the same time I started too. Can't believe it's already been 5 years!

I'm surprised you didn't quit after 2013 lol... I've always been interested in tracking weather, but since Im in Oklahoma it has always been tornadoes and severe weather, but when TD Bill came over my house I was like"Hmm I wonder what other storms are out there" and the rest is history. First 2 storms I tracked were Cat 4 Goni and Cat 5 Atsani in the WPAC, pretty insane storms and I've been tracking ever since.

In regards to Epsilon, I would think they will up the winds

Yep, up to 40 kt/998 mbar. Tropical Tidbits no longer says “remnants of Epsilon”.

Also, back in 2013, it thought Humberto ‘13 was the coolest thing, due to its stairstep track and regeneration.
0 likes   

Return to “2020”