It'll close up as soon as shear lets up. Warm waters, plenty of vorticity
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 95L - Discussion

#142 Postby Nimbus » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:44 am

Blinhart wrote:

Almost looks like 3 different investments there, one on the Western edge of the screen, and then a north and south blob.

Just the one hot tower sprouting in that saved video, and the large envelope "On the wings of the night".
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#143 Postby tolakram » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:56 am

I said 60/90 before, now I think 50/50 is probably the best this deserves. :lol: CV might have shut down already, which is not that unusual, but it means we have to wait until these waves get well west before we know if anything develops. I'll say this and it will spin up within 24 hours.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#144 Postby AlphaToOmega » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:01 am

tolakram wrote:I said 60/90 before, now I think 50/50 is probably the best this deserves. :lol: CV might have shut down already, which is not that unusual, but it means we have to wait until these waves get well west before we know if anything develops. I'll say this and it will spin up within 24 hours.

50/50 with such intense model support?
I would keep the 5-day chances at 90%. It would mean a lot for the credibility of the NHC if a wave that wave given a 90% chance of development failed to develop.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#145 Postby tolakram » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:06 am

AlphaToOmega wrote:
tolakram wrote:I said 60/90 before, now I think 50/50 is probably the best this deserves. :lol: CV might have shut down already, which is not that unusual, but it means we have to wait until these waves get well west before we know if anything develops. I'll say this and it will spin up within 24 hours.

I would keep the 5-day chances at 90%. It would mean a lot for the credibility of the NHC if a wave that wave given a 90% chance of development failed to develop.

Nah, early predictions have busted a lot, they are just that, predictions. This area is generally where they fail the most and it means nothing to their credibility.
4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#146 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:22 am

GFS still has the TUTT anchored over the Virgin Islands.
IMHO, chances are very good that this will decouple around PR with the LL vort continuing in the Carib.
Could see something spin up in the West Carib.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#147 Postby aspen » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:23 am

If 95L is going to develop, we will have to see it being much better organized by Friday night or Saturday morning. That’s when the GFS and HWRF have it become a TC. If it’s not a TC by the end of Saturday, the chances for it becoming significant or surviving the TUTT starting midday Monday go down significantly.
Last edited by aspen on Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#148 Postby Ubuntwo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:26 am

AlphaToOmega wrote:

By my count around 32 EPS members and 21 GEFS members develop this. 63% and 68% respectively. So 60 or 70% (depending on how you weigh operational runs) is about right. They are keeping it at 90% mostly for continuity's sake.

Not unusual for a 90% to fail development. After all, how many 10%'s have we seen upset and develop anyways?
Last edited by Ubuntwo on Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#149 Postby SFLcane » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:31 am

Meh….

Next.
2 likes   

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#150 Postby al78 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:41 am

Ubuntwo wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:

By my count around 32 EPS members and 21 GEFS members develop this. 63% and 68% respectively. So 60 or 70% (depending on how you weigh operational runs) is about right. They are keeping it at 90% mostly for continuity's sake.

Regardless it's not unusual for a 90% to fail development. After all, how many 10%'s have we seen upset and develop anyways?

If the genesis probability forecasts are reliable it should be somewhat unusual for a 90% probability invest to fail to develop, or a 10% probability invest to develop. Any one probabilistic forecast cannot be right or wrong, but the forecast reliability can be tested using many probabilistic forecasts. If the forecasts are reliable, an invest that has a 90% probability of development into a tropical cyclone should, based on historical forecasts, develop approximately nine times out of ten. If a 90% probability invest is only developing half the time based on many prior forecasts, something is not right with the forecast methodology, which could be something like the ensemble distribution is not correctly representing the uncertainty (in this example the ensembles could be under-estimating the uncertainty).
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#151 Postby abajan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:42 am

Showers and thunderstorms have become slightly less organized in
association with a tropical wave located a little more than 800
miles west-southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands. However,
environmental conditions are expected to be conducive for
development during the next few days, and a tropical depression is
still likely to form late this week or this weekend. This system
is expected to move westward to west-northwestward across the
tropical Atlantic during the next several days.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...high...70 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...80 percent.
3 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#152 Postby Ubuntwo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:44 am

al78 wrote:If the genesis probability forecasts are reliable it should be somewhat unusual for a 90% probability invest to fail to develop, or a 10% probability invest to develop. Any one probabilistic forecast cannot be right or wrong, but the forecast reliability can be tested using many probabilistic forecasts. If the forecasts are reliable, an invest that has a 90% probability of development into a tropical cyclone should, based on historical forecasts, develop approximately nine times out of ten. If a 90% probability invest is only developing half the time based on many prior forecasts, something is not right with the forecast methodology, which could be something like the ensemble distribution is not correctly representing the uncertainty (in this example the ensembles could be under-estimating the uncertainty).

Every Atlantic 90% has developed over the past two years (dozens of storms), so one could almost say we are 'due' for a 90% to fail :lol: Now that I say it, this thing is gonna spin up, isn't it?
0 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

hcane27
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#153 Postby hcane27 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:47 am

And so the reduction in likelihood of expected development begins.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#154 Postby aspen » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:51 am

*pokes with a stick* c’mon, do something
5 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#155 Postby kevin » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:57 am

aspen wrote:*pokes with a stick* c’mon, do something

12 likes   

stormchazer
Category 5
Category 5

#156 Postby stormchazer » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:35 am

I think we have become to use to everything forming and it does not always happen. What is also true, and we have seen it many times is there is often this type of drama before formation. “Yes it will! No it won’t” For my part, though having no meteorological skill, I am a bit more concerned if it takes longer to develop as might be less of inclination to move poleward.

Of course if the TUTT kills it, all the better. :D
0 likes   
The posts or stuff said are NOT an official forecast and my opinion alone. Please look to the NHC and NWS for official forecasts and products.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)
TCVN is a weighted averaged

Opinions my own.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#157 Postby SoupBone » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:16 am

With absolutely no data to back this up, I mentioned that this season appeared to start early, so maybe it also closes shop a little earlier as well. With more and more threats in May, are we starting to see the season begin and end dates shift a little?
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#158 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:25 am

SoupBone wrote:

With absolutely no data to back this up, I mentioned that this season appeared to start early, so maybe it also closes shop a little earlier as well. With more and more threats in May, are we starting to see the season begin and end dates shift a little?

Most seasons have been backloaded recently so I don't think activity in May has anything to do with it. But I think the high amount of activity in August might. There's been several years where August has been very active, followed by a less active September. I think the reason for that is the favorable MJO/CCKW all line up in August but the unfavorable phase arrives in September. That being said, some of those years have gone on to have big Octobers when the favorable phase returns and I think that's what we have to watch out for this year IMO.

As for 95L, I think the best chance for development will be after it gets past the TUTT. If there's anything left of it then, it might be able to develop but it's all up in the air right now. Doesn't appear to have a bright future in the next several days though.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#159 Postby toad strangler » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:27 am

SoupBone wrote:

No way. Last year was epic late
Last edited by toad strangler on Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#160 Postby kevin » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:27 am

SoupBone wrote:

On the other hand 2020 also started early and had perhaps the most impressive late season (in recent times) with 5 MHs. Also I did some analysis on how 'backloaded' every season was since 2000 and that indicates a slightly upwards trend as you can see in the image below, even though that was mainly caused by 2020. If you remove 2020 you get basically a flat horizontal line which indicates no significant change to late-season development in the last 20 years. I wrote a longer post about it here including an explanation on how I calculated those scores: http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=121675&p=2926222&hilit=backload#p2926222.

1 likes   

Return to “2021”