ATL: PETER - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 95L - Discussion

#201 Postby Teban54 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:13 am

aspen wrote:This may be trying to consolidate around 12.5-13.0N, based on visible/IR imagery. Let’s see if this keeps up.

Looks much better than yesterday. I can realistically see this spinning up to a TS before the islands if the trend continues.
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#202 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:14 am

I still think this one develops at some point. Whether we see weak development before the TUTT or it waits until after remains to be seen. But I think there's a solid chance we see Odette out of this. Still not convinced on 96L developing and I think there's a good chance this is the only one out of the three AOI's that develops.
Last edited by ElectricStorm on Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#203 Postby aspen » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:30 am

The vorticity signature on the CIMSS map has improved as well, and is lined up with the blob of convection on satellite imagery.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#204 Postby Nimbus » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:30 am

Weather Dude wrote:I still think this one develops at some point. Whether we see weak development before the TUTT or it waits until after remains to be seen. But I think there's a solid chance we see Odette out of this. Still not convinced on 96L developing and I think there's a good chance this is the only one out of the three AOI's that develops.

The trough is forecast to cut off and probably roll SW but that process will take some time and the low will be putting 95L under shear for a couple days. So I'm starting to think even if we get Odette it will stay sheared and probably track north of the islands. Could get completely torn up if it tracks west with the ULL but I'm haunted by the possibility of an Andrew type scenario. Similar setup with a trough splitting and Andrew at about 990 mb's north of Puerto Rico. Computers couldn't predict that back then and computer hardware doesn't get haunted so its pretty unlikely to be modeled.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#205 Postby cycloneye » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:31 am

aspen wrote:The vorticity signature on the CIMSS map has improved as well, and is lined up with the blob of convection on satellite imagery.

Do you have graphic?
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#206 Postby aspen » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:07 am

cycloneye wrote:
aspen wrote:The vorticity signature on the CIMSS map has improved as well, and is lined up with the blob of convection on satellite imagery.

Do you have graphic?

No, I’m on mobile. Here’s the site: http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/w ... oom=&time=

They judged updated it with the 15z map, and 95L’s vort signature looks a little better.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#207 Postby Sciencerocks » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:19 am

1 likes   

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#208 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:54 am

Shear vector is forecast to move from SE to SW tonight. We should see it take off as SW shear will be much more favorable in preventing dry air from advecting into downshear vortex.
2 likes   

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#209 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:09 pm

Shear really starts to become detrimental at 00z 9/20 (60h). Assuming it starts developing tonight that gives it 35-40 hours, most of which will be over 28+ waters, to strengthen into a low-mid level hurricane.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#210 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:22 pm

grapealcoholic wrote:Shear really starts to become detrimental at 00z 9/20 (60h). Assuming it starts developing tonight that gives it 35-40 hours, most of which will be over 28+ waters, to strengthen into a low-mid level hurricane.

I'm not convinced we even get a TD out of this. We'll see.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#211 Postby Nimbus » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:30 pm

grapealcoholic wrote:Shear vector is forecast to move from SE to SW tonight. We should see it take off as SW shear will be much more favorable in preventing dry air from advecting into downshear vortex.

The northeasterly trade winds have been over running 95L and the trough shear may offset some of that over running shear initially, but that is a tall stack of airmass and there it will likely continue to be some shear vectoring from the south. I personally don't see it going below 990 mb's unless it misses the islands but the official cone was just moved south almost to Guadeloupe.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#212 Postby cycloneye » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:45 pm

Showers and thunderstorms associated with a tropical wave and broad
area of low pressure located about midway between the Lesser
Antilles and the Cabo Verde Islands have become a little better
organized since yesterday. Environmental conditions are expected
to be conducive for further development during the next couple of
days, and a tropical depression is likely to form over the weekend
or early next week while moving toward the west-northwest at about
15 mph across the central tropical Atlantic and then near the
northern Leeward Islands by Monday and Tuesday. Upper-level winds
could become less conducive for development over the southwestern
Atlantic by the early to middle part of next week. Interests in
the Leeward Islands should monitor the progress of this system
during the next few days.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...high...70 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...80 percent.
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#213 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:45 pm

Nimbus wrote:
grapealcoholic wrote:Shear vector is forecast to move from SE to SW tonight. We should see it take off as SW shear will be much more favorable in preventing dry air from advecting into downshear vortex.

The northeasterly trade winds have been over running 95L and the trough shear may offset some of that over running shear initially, but that is a tall stack of airmass and there it will likely continue to be some shear vectoring from the south. I personally don't see it going below 990 mb's unless it misses the islands but the official cone was just moved south almost to Guadeloupe.

It also looks like it might be broad at least initially, and then develops a small core. It's probably going to rearing it's head for RI and then runs smack into the heavier shear
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#214 Postby Nimbus » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:55 pm

grapealcoholic wrote:
Nimbus wrote:

It also looks like it might be broad at least initially, and then develops a small core. It's probably going to rearing it's head for RI and then runs smack into the heavier shear

I've heard this forecast before, but after the trough splits

6 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#215 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:00 pm

Nimbus wrote:
grapealcoholic wrote:
Nimbus wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECM2C-2XkAA-fXl.jpg

The shortwave that's been modeled to steer this away has become shallower and shallower each run.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#216 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:02 pm

Nimbus wrote:
grapealcoholic wrote:
Nimbus wrote:

Definitely, it could easily become diffluent especially over warm water
0 likes   

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#217 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:09 pm

Even a low end hurricane would barrel thru this PV

0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#218 Postby Nimbus » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:14 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:
Nimbus wrote:
grapealcoholic wrote:It also looks like it might be broad at least initially, and then develops a small core. It's probably going to rearing it's head for RI and then runs smack into the heavier shear

The shortwave that's been modeled to steer this away has become shallower and shallower each run.

The first trough is digging south and will become an ULL to the west or SW of 95L where it could eventually ventilate the outflow. So after some temporary shear the track should turn more westward north of the islands.
The trough split didn't happen to Andrew till it was north of Puerto Rico but the current trough ahead of 95L will be splitting and rolling away earlier.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/sat ... uct=wv-mid
0 likes   

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#219 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:30 pm

Time of the essence and I think DMAX will be crucial tonight to at least get a TD closed up. I like how HWRF lets us do a little now-casting; for example it has some decent convection firing by 8pm

3 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#220 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:34 pm

Nimbus wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:
Nimbus wrote:

The first trough is digging south and will become an ULL to the west or SW of 95L where it could eventually ventilate the outflow. So after some temporary shear the track should turn more westward north of the islands.
The trough split didn't happen to Andrew till it was north of Puerto Rico but the current trough ahead of 95L will be splitting and rolling away earlier.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/sat ... uct=wv-mid

It's progressive as well.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Return to “2021”