ATL: PETER - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

Re: ATL: INVEST 95L - Discussion

#221 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:35 pm

grapealcoholic wrote:Time of the essence and I think DMAX will be crucial tonight to at least get a TD closed up. I like how HWRF lets us do a little now-casting; for example it has some decent convection firing by 8pm

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/hwrf/2021091712/hwrf_satIR_95L_3.png

HWRF has the shear vector shifting to S by 5pm. Convection should light up as that happens
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#222 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:43 pm

HWRF has this a lot further N.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#223 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:51 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:HWRF has this a lot further N.

Probably wouldn't trust HWRF to resolve the steering environment for this setup
0 likes   

ouragans
Category 1
Category 1

#224 Postby ouragans » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:05 pm

Invest 95L
As of 18:00 UTC Sep 17, 2021:

Maximum Winds: 25 kt Gusts: N/A
Minimum Central Pressure: 1011 mb
Environmental Pressure: N/A
Radius of Circulation: N/A
Radius of Maximum wind: 60 nm
1 likes   
Personal forecast disclaimer
This post is a personal point of view, not an information. Please refer to official statements for life-threatening decisions.

David '79, Frederic '79, Hugo '89, Iris, Luis & Marilyn '95, Georges '98, Lenny '99, Dean '07, Irma '17, Maria '17, Fiona '22, Philippe '23, Tammy '23
16°13'33.3,"6N -61°36'39.5"W

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#225 Postby Sciencerocks » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:31 pm

3 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#226 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:41 pm

Weather Dude wrote:I still think this one develops at some point. Whether we see weak development before the TUTT or it waits until after remains to be seen. But I think there's a solid chance we see Odette out of this. Still not convinced on 96L developing and I think there's a good chance this is the only one out of the three AOI's that develops.

Welp looks like 96L is about to become Odette so now it looks like this will be Peter at some point.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#227 Postby aspen » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:11 pm

The current model consensus is that there’ll be some break in the ridge — either Odette or a trough or both — that’ll come in and yeet Peter OTS. The question is: how far west will it get before that happens? It could be close to the Bahamas like the CMC, or just north of PR. When it turns will determine how strong Peter gets, because the further west it goes, the more time it’ll have over 29C and higher SSTs.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#228 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:22 pm

aspen wrote:The current model consensus is that there’ll be some break in the ridge — either Odette or a trough or both — that’ll come in and yeet Peter OTS. The question is: how far west will it get before that happens? It could be close to the Bahamas like the CMC, or just north of PR. When it turns will determine how strong Peter gets, because the further west it goes, the more time it’ll have over 29C and higher SSTs.

Assuming the 12z GFS is correct and Odette gets carried away by a trough, it seems like it's a 50/50 on whether enough ridging fills in to carry Peter to CONUS
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#229 Postby Nimbus » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:26 pm

grapealcoholic wrote:
aspen wrote:The current model consensus is that there’ll be some break in the ridge — either Odette or a trough or both — that’ll come in and yeet Peter OTS. The question is: how far west will it get before that happens? It could be close to the Bahamas like the CMC, or just north of PR. When it turns will determine how strong Peter gets, because the further west it goes, the more time it’ll have over 29C and higher SSTs.

Assuming the 12z GFS is correct and Odette gets carried away by a trough, it seems like it's a 50/50 on whether enough ridging fills in to carry Peter to CONUS

I think the ridge may have time to build back in after Odette leaves but a short wave might save the Carolina's later.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#230 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:29 pm

aspen wrote:Here's today's labelled SST map with the possible futures of Odette.

I did my best to mark where 95L/Odette should be in the next 168hr (by midday Sunday) and where the TUTT and its associated shear should be. It does extend further into the NE Atlantic, but that isn't relevant right now. The green track is close to the 12z GFS and represents the most SW solution: rapid weakening from the TUTT that leaves 95L, as a TD or an open wave, going more W/WNW. The blue track is the easternmost possible track and is close to the ICON's solution of an attempted early recurve. The purple track is close to what the Euro/EPS/CMC/GEFS show, and diverges because there's still a lot of spread from the ensembles that do keep it alive.
https://i.imgur.com/NJq2O0x.png

If Odette is more on the NE side of possible tracks, it's done for. It'll be tracking over Larry's massive cold wake and therefore won't have much fuel to get strong enough to survive the TUTT. Even without the period of high shear, it'll still be screwed because of the cold wake.

A track that sticks further south in the next 4-5 days (between 11-13N by the time it's around 48-52W) will put Odette close to or over that tongue of 29-30C SSTs, giving it a last-minute boost before the TUTT. This could also result in a track close to that of the 12z GFS, but a stronger storm would gain a little more latitude and hopefully won't be that close to the islands.

If Odette survives the TUTT in some way (either by it being stronger or the TUTT being weaker), the region within 30N/60W is full of rocket fuel that could cause some serious RI. With the TUTT in play now, it seems that Odette's best opportunity to become anything is this weekend around 45-55W and 11-13.5N - before the wall of shear knocks it down multiple pegs.

You sure you got the storm's name right :D ?
3 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#231 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:33 pm

Looks like some hot towers are starting to pop near the center.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#232 Postby aspen » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:35 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
aspen wrote:Here's today's labelled SST map with the possible futures of Odette.

I did my best to mark where 95L/Odette should be in the next 168hr (by midday Sunday) and where the TUTT and its associated shear should be. It does extend further into the NE Atlantic, but that isn't relevant right now. The green track is close to the 12z GFS and represents the most SW solution: rapid weakening from the TUTT that leaves 95L, as a TD or an open wave, going more W/WNW. The blue track is the easternmost possible track and is close to the ICON's solution of an attempted early recurve. The purple track is close to what the Euro/EPS/CMC/GEFS show, and diverges because there's still a lot of spread from the ensembles that do keep it alive.

If Odette is more on the NE side of possible tracks, it's done for. It'll be tracking over Larry's massive cold wake and therefore won't have much fuel to get strong enough to survive the TUTT. Even without the period of high shear, it'll still be screwed because of the cold wake.

A track that sticks further south in the next 4-5 days (between 11-13N by the time it's around 48-52W) will put Odette close to or over that tongue of 29-30C SSTs, giving it a last-minute boost before the TUTT. This could also result in a track close to that of the 12z GFS, but a stronger storm would gain a little more latitude and hopefully won't be that close to the islands.

If Odette survives the TUTT in some way (either by it being stronger or the TUTT being weaker), the region within 30N/60W is full of rocket fuel that could cause some serious RI. With the TUTT in play now, it seems that Odette's best opportunity to become anything is this weekend around 45-55W and 11-13.5N - before the wall of shear knocks it down multiple pegs.

At least I was correct about this weekend being the best chance for development…but yeah, lesson learned: don’t assume anything in the tropics.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#233 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:43 pm

aspen wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

At least I was correct about this weekend being the best chance for development…but yeah, lesson learned: don’t assume anything in the tropics.

Yeah the tropics can be sneaky sometimes and do things contrary to what we think at first. But yeah, just playing with you :D

In terms of 95L, we'll see what Odette does and whether it is able to be strong enough to pull 95L poleward or if 95L can continue going west and miss that first opportunity for escape at least
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#234 Postby aspen » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:12 pm

Plenty of little hot towers are popping up as the sun sets over 95L. Today has been by far its best day for organization and convection, and it could be on its way to becoming TD16 or TS Peter by late tomorrow.

95L’s best shot to intensify before hitting the TUTT will be throughout the day Sunday (thankfully with recon coverage) and early on Monday. Like in the 12z HWRF, it could become a 65-70 kt hurricane for a bit before the UL environment becomes hostile.
2 likes   

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#235 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:21 pm

grapealcoholic wrote:
grapealcoholic wrote:Time of the essence and I think DMAX will be crucial tonight to at least get a TD closed up. I like how HWRF lets us do a little now-casting; for example it has some decent convection firing by 8pm

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/hwrf/2021091712/hwrf_satIR_95L_3.png

HWRF has the shear vector shifting to S by 5pm. Convection should light up as that happens

Right on cue
0 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#236 Postby Ubuntwo » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:05 pm

95L is firing off banded convection and has a well defined storm-relative circulation. HWRF and the GFS establish proper westerlies tomorrow morning.

Also worth noting that models have a small and diurnally sensitive storm. Prone to rapid intensity changes in either direction.
0 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#237 Postby aspen » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:28 pm

At this rate, 95L will probably be a TD by 5am. Lots of convection firing, and the broad wave circulation has tightened up around 13-14N.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#238 Postby cycloneye » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:27 pm

AL, 95, 2021091800, , BEST, 0, 141N, 473W, 25, 1011, DB
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#239 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:38 pm

925 mb vort has consolidated and strengthened 13N 47W.
IR satellites has it closed off.
ASCAT still a wave.
Convection creating a nice protect pouch.
Good, low shear area.
0 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#240 Postby Sciencerocks » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:53 pm

0 likes   

Return to “2021”