Moderator: S2k Moderators

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: SAM - Hurricane - Discussion

#1381 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:41 pm

Fancy1001 wrote:
tolakram wrote:If I had a dollar for every ERC mention I'd be rich. lol

Which would make you richer, ERC or cat 5?

Cat 5...by far
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1382 Postby tolakram » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:42 pm

2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1383 Postby tolakram » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:43 pm

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#1384 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:43 pm

Look at the eye shrink...this is wild. FYI this is the normal loop speed. Convection is just spinning that fast. Where are all you "pinhole eye" people now that you really have one! :?: :?: :?:

3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1385 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:46 pm

Is it possible where there is an EWRC that the eye gets Smaller after it's complete?
Last edited by Iceresistance on Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

SteveM
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1386 Postby SteveM » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:47 pm

I agree with others that this was likely a 140kt Cat 5 earlier. I also agree that a quick EWRC took place earlier - I did note that the eye had appeared to expand a few hours ago, perhaps that is roughly when it happened.
0 likes   

SteveM
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1387 Postby SteveM » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:48 pm

Iceresistance wrote:Is it possible where there is an EWRC that the eye gets Smaller after it's complete?

That happens after the EWRC.
0 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#1388 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:48 pm

Anyone remember what the smallest the eye got with Wilma? Recon says they measured 7 miles in Sam but it looks like it is still shrinking
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1389 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:49 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:Anyone remember what the smallest the eye got with Wilma? Recon says they measured 7 miles in Sam but it looks like it is still shrinking

2 Nautical Miles
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1390 Postby tolakram » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:51 pm

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#1391 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:53 pm

I would say it is on the verge of another EWRC because it cant get much smaller, but as the eye shrinks the winds pick up...isn't that the law of angular momentum? As the eye shrinks the winds increase? I hope recon gets there before it breaks down.
1 likes   

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#1392 Postby Stormybajan » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:55 pm

I think Sam hates people and gets offended when recon is near :lol: . Only explanation after seeing such a random, rapid collapse of the eye.
4 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1393 Postby tolakram » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:56 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:

I would say it is on the verge of another EWRC because it cant get much smaller, but as the eye shrinks the winds pick up...isn't that the law of angular momentum? As the eye shrinks the winds increase?

Yea, if that's what's happening. Maybe? I really don't know. It's such a clean reduction in size I don't think it's shear, could be a shrinking eye, could be lower water temps, could be anything.

F. CLOSED
G. C7

VDM had C7, circular eye 7 miles across. Pretty small already, now maybe smaller. We'll have to see if it's broken this time.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#1394 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:57 pm

Pressures are up in Sam on that pass. Weakening has definitely occurred.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#1395 Postby aspen » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:58 pm

Either Sam has weakened by 5 mbar, or recon missed the center. This weakening rate would suggest a peak pressure of 924mb a few hours ago.

The NHC needs to put out a special advisory NOW to record Sam’s minimum observed pressure of 929mb.
Last edited by aspen on Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#1396 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:58 pm

tolakram wrote:
ScottNAtlanta wrote:

I would say it is on the verge of another EWRC because it cant get much smaller, but as the eye shrinks the winds pick up...isn't that the law of angular momentum? As the eye shrinks the winds increase?

Yea, if that's what's happening. Maybe? I really don't know. It's such a clean reduction in size I don't think it's shear, could be a shrinking eye, could be lower water temps, could be anything.

F. CLOSED
G. C7

VDM had C7, circular eye 7 miles across. Pretty small already, now maybe smaller. We'll have to see if it's broken this time.

They just passed it, but I think they missed it (not hard if it is that small)
0 likes   

Yankee Corn Husker
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1397 Postby Yankee Corn Husker » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:59 pm

Iceresistance wrote:Is it possible where there is an EWRC that the eye gets Smaller after it's complete?

The incredible shrinking eye!
0 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#1398 Postby Ubuntwo » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:59 pm

Quite a pressure rise this pass. Should support a pressure below 929 mb between the two recon flights.
1 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#1399 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:01 pm

I think it has started the EWRC. The black ring looks like it is forming the new eye
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1400 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:02 pm

aspen wrote:Either Sam has weakened by 5 mbar, or recon missed the center. This weakening rate would suggest a peak pressure of 924mb a few hours ago.

The NHC needs to put out a special advisory NOW to record Sam’s minimum observed pressure of 929mb.

They can fix the pressure in the TCR.
0 likes   

Return to “2021”