ATL: SAM - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: SAM - Hurricane - Discussion

#541 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Keep in mind that at such a low latitude the atmosphere is in fact warmer and has more air that Sam can take advantage of. What I mean is that the earth's atmosphere bulges more the closer to the equator you get due to centrifugal forces due to the Earth's spin. In other words, Sam might have higher cloud tops than indicated by inferred satellites. Also the action of which Sam is bringing up warm air to high levels means that it is warming the atmosphere above it so cloud tops may have not decreased as much in height as it appears due to these factors. IMHO.
10 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#542 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:04 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:Keep in mind that at such a low latitude the atmosphere is in fact warmer and has more air that Sam can take advantage of. What I mean is that the earth's atmosphere bulges more the closer to the equator you get due to centrifugal forces due to the Earth's spin. In other words, Sam might have higher cloud tops than indicated by inferred satellites. Also the action of which Sam is bringing up warm air to high levels means that it is warming the atmosphere above it so cloud tops may have not decreased as much in height as it appears due to these factors. IMHO.

Eh, the upper troposphere doesn't really vary much in temperature. I think it'll fire deeper convection soon

It's already heating the core extremely efficiently right now with an eye, even if it isn't THAT deep
0 likes   

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

Re: ATL: SAM - Hurricane - Discussion Update= 00z Best Track up to 85 kt

#543 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:19 pm

Storms trade "convection deepness" for structure whenever they can. So a Cat 2 with a round warm eye probably shouldn't have deep convection, otherwise it would be a Cat 4.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: SAM - Hurricane - Discussion Update= 00z Best Track up to 85 kt

#544 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:27 pm

grapealcoholic wrote:Storms trade "convection deepness" for structure whenever they can. So a Cat 2 with a round warm eye probably shouldn't have deep convection, otherwise it would be a Cat 4.

Unless Recon proves it otherwise, but Sam is too far out for Recon right now . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#545 Postby skyline385 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:47 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:Keep in mind that at such a low latitude the atmosphere is in fact warmer and has more air that Sam can take advantage of. What I mean is that the earth's atmosphere bulges more the closer to the equator you get due to centrifugal forces due to the Earth's spin. In other words, Sam might have higher cloud tops than indicated by inferred satellites. Also the action of which Sam is bringing up warm air to high levels means that it is warming the atmosphere above it so cloud tops may have not decreased as much in height as it appears due to these factors. IMHO.

I doubt it matters much. Remember that Iota and Eta which were both closer to the equator too had extremely cold pink tops but they never even made it to Cat 5 and people called the cloud tops deceiving since it was October saying the atmosphere is colder back then.
0 likes   

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#546 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:51 pm

skyline385 wrote:

I doubt it matters much. Remember that Iota and Eta which were both closer to the equator too had extremely cold pink tops but they never even made it to Cat 5 and people called the cloud tops deceiving since it was October saying the atmosphere is colder back then.

Colder upper air temperatures do support stronger storms. I just think Eta needed time to catch up to it's convection
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#547 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:53 pm

Colder Cloud Tops starting to blow at the Eyewall, Sam is also moving WNW . . .
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#548 Postby skyline385 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:55 pm

grapealcoholic wrote:
skyline385 wrote:

Colder upper air temperatures do support stronger storms. I just think Eta needed time to catch up to it's convection

Yea they would support a stronger system simply because of the difference in temperatures but at the same time, the IR imagery would also show much colder tops than normal since the atmosphere is already cold.
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#549 Postby Teban54 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:02 pm

skyline385 wrote:

I think that only applied to Eta. Iota actually had more typical cloud tops and ADT was also more in line with actual intensity.
0 likes   

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#550 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:04 pm

Teban54 wrote:
skyline385 wrote:

I think that only applied to Eta. Iota actually had more typical cloud tops and ADT was also more in line with actual intensity.

Eta's raw ADT was much higher than it's adjusted. I think it could have gotten below 900 if it maintained those cloud tops
0 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#551 Postby Sciencerocks » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:06 pm

8 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#552 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:13 pm

New towers starting to go up around the center
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#553 Postby galaxy401 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:21 pm

Sam is bombing out now. At this rate, it will be a major in just a few hours (if not one already).
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#554 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:22 pm

Number 9 alert. Sam looks like number 9! RI continues!
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#555 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:24 pm

CI# /Pressure/ Vmax
4.3 / 986.4mb/ 72.2kt

Final T# Adj T# Raw T#
4.3 5.3 5.3

Estimated radius of max. wind based on IR : 13 km

Center Temp : +10.3C

Final Ts should start shooting up soon
2 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#556 Postby skyline385 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:26 pm

The last band is waning as well, this will probably end up being annular soon. The small size also supports it...
0 likes   

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#557 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:29 pm

Last few frames look more W than WNW
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#558 Postby Teban54 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:35 pm

Given the continuous organization, I can see NHC going higher than the 85kt best track intensity in the upcoming advisory.
2 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#559 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:37 pm

Hurricane Sam Advisory Number 10
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL182021
1100 PM AST Fri Sep 24 2021

...SAM NOW A CATEGORY 2 HURRICANE...
...FORECAST TO BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE ON SATURDAY...

SUMMARY OF 1100 PM AST...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...12.4N 45.9W
ABOUT 1215 MI...1950 KM ESE OF THE NORTHERN LEEWARD ISLANDS
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH...155 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 285 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...982 MB...29.00 INCHES
2 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#560 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:38 pm

Surprised they didn't go with 100 kts given the eye temp
0 likes   

Return to “2021”