Please Let Us Know

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
LonghornDeb
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re: Please Let Us Know

#241 Postby LonghornDeb » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:26 am

As I recall, I found Storm2K after seeing a mention of the site on the Pensacola News Journal website following Hurricane Ivan.

PBeach is one of my favorite places to visit, and I wanted to know what was happening there, not trusting the "reports" on network news and The Weather Channel! I became addicted to Derek Ortt's column on the PNJ website, and either he mentioned Storm2K in his column, or I read it in a post on the PNJ community forums.

After that, I visited Storm2K regularly without registering, until our area was in the cross-hairs of Hurricane Rita in 2005. Signed up at that point!

This site has provided much valuable information and a greater understanding of tropical weather, as well as many hours of entertainment...
0 likes   

greels
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#242 Postby greels » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:45 am

Found this site right around the time of Katrina.....had moved to the Turks and Caicos Islands and couldn't find any (or at least what I would call) credible information from Island media (then found out all our watches & warnings are generated out of Nassau Bahamas which is far north of where I lived).

The information I found here pre-Ike was a godsaver for us and we were prepared for Ike before most others on our Island...thank you all so much!

Now back in States and living in coastal NE.....still watching.
0 likes   

dingbat
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#243 Postby dingbat » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:14 am

I also found S2K around the time of Ivan, but didn't join up until the following year. S2K was mentioned on another forum I frequented back then and I've since referred at least seventeen bus loads to S2K since then myself.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#244 Postby Stephanie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:47 am

Posts like those above is greatly appreciated by the staff. :D

We're glad that you've found our forums, with our extremely talented professionals and amateurs very informative and most especially, a learning tool. THAT'S what we are all about.

Thank you again!
0 likes   

kat61
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#245 Postby kat61 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:03 pm

Mark Suddith's huricanetrack.com has a link. I've been S2K stalking since 2004 when I moved from the northeast. Knew little about the weather here.
0 likes   

Duffy1966
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#246 Postby Duffy1966 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:17 pm

I found Storm2k way back in 03 I think.....I was watching CNN's Coverage of a Storm that hit the Carolina's someplace and I seen Mark Sudduth on there and they advertised his Site, so I started going to it....then he started mentioning about Storm2k and the rest, as they say is history :)
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#247 Postby southerngale » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:15 am

We're seeing a lot of new "faces" around here. Tell us how you found Storm2k. :)
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#248 Postby dexterlabio » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:58 am

I've been here since the time of PARMA. Philippines is just suffering from Ketsana's wrath then there was a news about another cyclone much stronger than Ketsana coming within days (and so it was Parma). So, I searched weather sites in the net to confirm this, then I found storm2k. Now, I am happy to be here :)
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

drdavisjr
Category 1
Category 1

#249 Postby drdavisjr » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:10 am

Ever since Ketsana, I have been closely monitoring local storm systems. It is my nature to analyze and study the how and why of stuff that affects me. I was growing tired of ready JTWC forecasts and reasonings without fully understanding how they came to their conclusions. I found storm2k searching on Google for severe weather communities and am very glad I found you guys.

Thanks for the hospitality and patience with us new members. You have helped me tremendously. I can look at water vapor loops, satellite loops, forecast models, etc and see why and how ridges and troughs affect systems and even make somewhat educated guesses at what might happen next.

Thanks storm2k!!
0 likes   

oaba09
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#250 Postby oaba09 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:18 am

Basically, I was looking for random info about TY Parma....I just clicked on what google search showed and bam, I found this great website :D
0 likes   

metenthusiast
Category 1
Category 1

#251 Postby metenthusiast » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:00 am

I found out about this when I was looking for additional information on Lupit (then TD 22W). I tried search engines on pointed me to your site. I'm glad I stumbled upon storm2k when I did. Lots of valuable and useful information, friendly and accommodating members, tolerant admins and moderators (who takes pain on listening to my seemingly unending questions and answering them :D ), and most of all the comfortable feeling of being included in a community.

What more could I ask for? :wink:
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#252 Postby Tireman4 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:34 pm

I found Storm 2k through the KHOU Weatherboard.
0 likes   

StarmanHDB
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#253 Postby StarmanHDB » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:28 pm

Even prior to my August 2007 move from S.E. Michigan to South Florida, through my interest in amateur astronomy, I've always been fascinated with anything having to do with the sky....especially the yearly parade of Atlantic storms which always seem to take on a life of their own. Through a totally unrelated website, a friend who runs that site recommended http://www.skeetobiteweather.com. Following the link posted there, I found S2K.

Once I did move down here and started my new job, I quickly discovered that a fellow worker (now friend) was a MAJOR tropical weather buff. While perusing through S2K's "Active Storms" forum, I read a number of posts written by a guy who "reads" exactly as my friend sounds. Putting two plus two together, my friend was totally astonished when one day at work, instead of using his real name, I started calling him his S2K name (keep in mind that prior to this I had absolutely no idea that he was an S2K member). The rest, as they say, is history!

Even though I don't know a lot about meteorology, thanks to the many educated professional mets and amateurs who post here, I'm quickly learning the in's and out's of tropical weather. That written, I have one question (and I completely understand if anyone gets angry when they read this)....

....Although I know that they can cause major amounts of pain, death, and destruction, is it wrong of me to want to experience a hurricane firsthand? How many of you actually feel, or have felt this way?

With the wishes of Clear, Dark, and Steady Skies to any fellow amateur astronomers out there, thanks!
:)
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#254 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:40 pm

Is it wrong for you to want to experience a Hurricane first hand? I don't know it that question is answerable to be honest. I have experienced more than my share of storms and hurricanes as have many on this site. I''ve been through 3 direct strikes by Hurricanes and effects from several others plus many TS's. Have I ever lost my fascination with the tropics? No. Will I? Not till I lose my mind. Do I ever want to go through another Hurricane? NO!! My last one was Hurricane Ike and 6 straight hours of the eyewall is something I NEVER want to go through again!! It sounds fun and exhilarating to think about experiencing the raw power of mother nature at her best, till you do. The aftermath is not something I would wish on anyone, especially from a major storm. I don't know any other way to answer this than to say that if you do go through a hurricane your tune will change. Trust me.

BTW, welcome to S2K!! Who is the poster that is your coworker?
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

StarmanHDB
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#255 Postby StarmanHDB » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:41 pm

vbhoutex wrote:It sounds fun and exhilarating to think about experiencing the raw power of mother nature at her best, till you do.

Thanks vbhoutex!

Even though Michigan has its share of severe thunderstorms and tornadoes, there is something remarkable in how loosely grouped oceanic thunderstorms begin to circulate around a central low, "grow" from their "birth" into an invest, then into a TD, then into a TS, then into a hurricane (storms which are so powerful they earn names) all the while facing obstacles along the way!

I'm sure that a lot of my fascination with tropical weather has to do with experiencing the sheer power of the big storms. Until I moved down here, I never saw rain fall sideways and I never experienced the massive amount of rain such as was dropped by TS Fay! No pun intended, but this stuff blows me out of the water!

Yes, I do know the havoc that tropical storms wreak (personally seeing the once lush green canopy of Coral Springs, Florida torn to shreds by 2005's Hurricane Wilma....after four years, the canopy that I recognized in my 2003 visit is finally growing back) and I do know how they literally hit close to home (the track of 1964's Hurricane Cleo passed within one mile of where I currently live), but that power has to be so amazing to experience firsthand!

My aforementioned buddy (Vortex), who has chased many storms, told me that once he had a feeling Hurricane Charley was going to be a doozy, he booked out of Port Charlotte back to this side of the state ASAP.

I definitely respect nature and I do realize that I will change my tune when a big one hits, but still....
0 likes   

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#256 Postby StormingB81 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:45 pm

I Googled a Typhoon and the site came up.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#257 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:12 pm

StarmanHDB wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:It sounds fun and exhilarating to think about experiencing the raw power of mother nature at her best, till you do.

Thanks vbhoutex!

Even though Michigan has its share of severe thunderstorms and tornadoes, there is something remarkable in how loosely grouped oceanic thunderstorms begin to circulate around a central low, "grow" from their "birth" into an invest, then into a TD, then into a TS, then into a hurricane (storms which are so powerful they earn names) all the while facing obstacles along the way!

I'm sure that a lot of my fascination with tropical weather has to do with experiencing the sheer power of the big storms. Until I moved down here, I never saw rain fall sideways and I never experienced the massive amount of rain such as was dropped by TS Fay! No pun intended, but this stuff blows me out of the water!

Yes, I do know the havoc that tropical storms wreak (personally seeing the once lush green canopy of Coral Springs, Florida torn to shreds by 2005's Hurricane Wilma....after four years, the canopy that I recognized in my 2003 visit is finally growing back) and I do know how they literally hit close to home (the track of 1964's Hurricane Cleo passed within one mile of where I currently live), but that power has to be so amazing to experience firsthand!

My aforementioned buddy (Vortex), who has chased many storms, told me that once he had a feeling Hurricane Charley was going to be a doozy, he booked out of Port Charlotte back to this side of the state ASAP.

I definitely respect nature and I do realize that I will change my tune when a big one hits, but still....

Ah yes, Vortex has been around for a while! I do understand what you are saying concerning experiencing a storm, but I thought I would throw my past experience in for thought.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

kat66
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#258 Postby kat66 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:42 am

Hi .... okay, "g'day" .....I am an Aussie who has been lurking around this forum for a while, just a total amateur but lifelong weather freak. I first discovered this forum via Googling during the time of Hurricane Gustav, and was blown away (....sorry....) by the depth of knowledge evidenced here and by the level of sophistication in how these immense storms can now be observed, analysed and discussed.

However I have never registered or posted until now because I really would not have much to contribute to these discussions.... and don't want to be one of the annoying junk posters. But now that I have.... I'll briefly take the opportunity to say thanks to you all for creating such a brilliant learning environment for people like me, and of course - more importantly - a priceless resource for people who may be impacted directly by one of these storms. I live in the southern half of Oz and have never been up north when a cyclone / hurricane has hit so I have not experienced one firsthand, and I know that (weather junkie or not) I can count my blessings on that score.

Thanks again and I'll just go back to lurking now!
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#259 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:56 pm

No need to just lurk. If you have questions,suggestions,etc., chime in! It is easier to learn if one asks questions. Example- You live in Oz, which, if I remember correctly, is a province(?) in Australia. To most of tth American posters on this site I would geuss they were "are you kidding? That's a movie!" Now if they read this they will know differently, so ask away. We even have a special forum for it.
Thanks for the kudo's. We try to do our very best to keep everyone informed about tropical weather and in the "off" season Winter weather. It is always good to hear we have at least accomplished part of our mission.
Once again, welcome to Storm2k and don't be just a lurker.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#260 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Sun May 23, 2010 5:40 pm

I searched 18zBAMD and found this. I joined today though i found it yesterday.
0 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”