Please Let Us Know

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NXStumpy_Robothing
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Please Let Us Know

#321 Postby NXStumpy_Robothing » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:38 am

Ended up having a user on here mention the forum, got talking with them about it, and then joined soon after.
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student, Georgia Institute of Technology

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#322 Postby AnnularCane » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:00 pm

I barely even remember. :P I used to mostly lurk on the Palm Beach board and I guess it went to Storm2k from there. I didn't actually sign up as a member for several more years though.
3 likes   

TexasBreeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#323 Postby TexasBreeze » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:10 pm

KHOU weather forum (now currently wxinfinity). Read both all of the time.
2 likes   

storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

#324 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:03 pm

I read this xkcd comic: https://xkcd.com/611/

The alt-text reads: “Hurricane forums are full of excited comments about central pressure and wind speed and comparisons to Camille and 1931 and 1938, with hastily-tacked-on notes about how it will be tragic if anyone dies and they hope it's a dud.”

I read the alt-text and was like “wait there are hurricane forums?!” and googled hurricane forums. I found a Storm2K
thread where people were discussing whether Hurricane Camille would date Hurricane Andrew or the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane and so I decided to follow this website.

It wasn’t until 2017 I got the courage to post anything though.

EDIT: Apparently the conclusion in the old thread was that Camille would date Andrew, but I personally prefer Camille+Labor Day.

EDIT 2: The thread was here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=78515&hilit=Camille+Andrew+Allen

I was mistaken, it was Allen, not Andrew.
Last edited by storm_in_a_teacup on Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
6 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#325 Postby AnnularCane » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:34 pm

:uarrow: I love that drawing! (Now I have to see if I can find that thread.)

Okay, carry on now. :oops:
5 likes   

ClimateEquationPlayr
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#326 Postby ClimateEquationPlayr » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi! First post. I googled “Tropical Weather Forum” and found this site. I’ve been an active fly on the wall for sometime now. I’m homeschooling my grandson for the first time this year and I’ve been scoping this site for geographical and weather related teaching ideas. Wonderful site full of lively conversation and thought-provoking points of views.
6 likes   
I’m safer being the wallpaper but I’m happier being me.

SootyTern
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#327 Postby SootyTern » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:50 pm

I am also an infrequent poster but longtime active lurker. I remember some of y'all from flhurricane.com in the early 2000's and started spending more time here as there is a lot more activity. There are some fantastic posters here, new and old!
1 likes   
Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Gulf Coast: Opal '95 Georges '98 / So Fla: Katrina '05 Wilma '05 Irma '17

Fego
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#328 Postby Fego » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:48 pm

I used to visit Bob Barometer and Hurricane City, then somebody mentioned this site. From scratch I liked the format, content and the courtesy between users. That year, 2004, I met Luis Martínez (Cycloneye), with whom I have stablished a great friendship.
4 likes   
Go Giants! Go Niners! Go Warriors!

cstrunk
Category 1
Category 1

#329 Postby cstrunk » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:42 pm

A friend in Texas was telling me that his dad was always talking about the active discussion for Texas so I looked it up and joined. I've been a member of Stormtrack.org and AmericanWX.com before this.
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#330 Postby ElectricStorm » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:01 pm

I just searched for weather forums and this one came up. Been a member since last year. I post sometimes but mostly just a lurker.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

GulfHills
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#331 Postby GulfHills » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:15 am

Many years ago while searching for hurricane information. I never went anywhere else. Have learned so much. I remember when Katrina was coming across Florida and my husband said he was going to buy some hurricane flags for me to wave every time I came out of the computer room to give updates. LOL.
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”