Will Laura be upgraded to a cat 5 landfall?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Will Laura be upgraded to a Cat 5 landfall?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Yes
10%
No
90%

Total votes: 101

DestinHurricane
Category 4
Category 4

Will Laura be upgraded to a cat 5 landfall?

#1 Postby DestinHurricane » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:54 pm

I figured we should start a thread to have this discussion.

I think it will be a very close call. Dropsponde showed cat 5 winds but FL didn't support it. I'll guess no it won't be upgraded.

Mods can add a poll if they would like.
1 likes   
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, Florida: Ivan 2004, Dennis 2005, Michael 2018, Sally 2020

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Eta 2020, Many future storms!

THE Ohio State University: :cold:

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Will Laura be upgraded to a cat 5 landfall?

#2 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:56 pm

I think no, strongest gusts were not anywhere close to Category 5 force, and the highest flight level and SFMR winds do not support Category 5 intensity.
4 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3 Postby Ivanhater » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:02 pm

DestinHurricane wrote:I figured we should start a thread to have this discussion.

I think it will be a very close call. Dropsponde showed cat 5 winds but FL didn't support it. I'll guess no it won't be upgraded.

Poll created.
1 likes   
Michael

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby cheezyWXguy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:23 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:I think no, strongest gusts were not anywhere close to Category 5 force, and the highest flight level and SFMR winds do not support Category 5 intensity.

Practically no surface observations along the coast where the highest winds would have occurred. Regardless, I don’t think cat5 winds existed there and 150mph is probably justified.
2 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby otowntiger » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:53 pm

DestinHurricane wrote:I figured we should start a thread to have this discussion.

I say no. I'm not seeing the kind of wind damage I'd expect from a cat 4 much less a cat 5 on the ground. Also prelim.wind reports on the ground nowhere near cat 4 or 5. I've only seen cat 4 gusts in very limited reports. I think Michael will be in the end measured as the most intense.
4 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby cheezyWXguy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:08 pm

otowntiger wrote:

I say no. I'm not seeing the kind of wind damage I'd expect from a cat 4 much less a cat 5 on the ground. Also prelim.wind reports on the ground nowhere near cat 4 or 5. I've only seen cat 4 gusts in very limited reports. I think Michael will be in the end measured as the most intense.

It’s important to note that just about all of the observations came from locations from about 30 miles inland. Even over swamplands these winds would be reduced by a couple of categories over that distance. I am quite convinced this was a mid-upper cat4 at landfall, just not a cat5.
4 likes   

tomatkins
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#7 Postby tomatkins » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:34 pm

Right
cheezyWXguy wrote:
otowntiger wrote:

It’s important to note that just about all of the observations came from locations from about 30 miles inland. Even over swamplands these winds would be reduced by a couple of categories over that distance. I am quite convinced this was a mid-upper cat4 at landfall, just not a cat5.

Not only that, but the places that were in the eastern eyewall (east of Cameron) on the coast there are swamps with very little to damage. Has anyone made it out to Creole or east of there to see what thats like. Because even Cameron wouldn't necessarily have gotten the worst winds.
4 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby FireRat » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:35 pm

I think no as well, Cat 4 with 150 mph winds sounds about right, and the gators probably were the only ones who got those winds. The barometric pressure was also a bit too high for a Cat 5, unlike Michael which bottomed at 919 mb.
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

jopatura
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9 Postby jopatura » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:28 pm

I think there could be a case for 155 mph winds, but not Category 5. If she had another hour or two over water she probably would have made it. The conditions were there and I’m fairly certain the numbers they were picking up was because she was trying to strengthen.

The conditions aren’t the same, but even compared to Michael the damage just isn’t quite there. Buildings were pushed around in Cameron, but there were more walls standing then I expected. Even the storm surge seemed a lot tamer then some of the monsters that ballooned to “Category 6” and were downgraded before landfall.
2 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10 Postby Yellow Evan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:36 pm

135 yes but the conssitent evidence is not there for 140 given FL peaked at 146 and there was only one SFMR reading of 137.
7 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby toad strangler » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:45 pm

No on Cat 5 although much still needs to come out on damage assessment. But I doubt she was a 5.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:50 pm

Yeah I think at the end of the day this was easily not a Cat.5. However it did intensify all the way until landfall so we have to give it that as a lot of storms struggle to do so while they're about to landfall.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Hammy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:17 pm

135kt/155mph is about the highest recon supported. There's been a lot of comparisons to Michael but Laura's satellite appearance wasn't quite there, there was a large area of warmer cloud tops on the eastern portion, and Michael likely had a more favorable upper air setup as it was moving parallel with the upper SW flow.
3 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby galaxy401 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:58 pm

As many have already said, I don't think there's enough evidence to support an upgrade to a Cat 5. Recon data and land obs reports from Michael were a little stronger than Laura. I do think there is sufficient evidence to support raising the intensity to 155 mph by a combination of Recon and Doppler.
1 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#15 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:26 pm

Poll closes for voting on August 29 at 3:01 PM EDT.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#16 Postby AJC3 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:28 pm

cycloneye wrote:Poll closes for voting on August 29 at 3:01 PM EDT.

The masses have spoken, and overwhelmingly so far!
3 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:55 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:I think no, strongest gusts were not anywhere close to Category 5 force, and the highest flight level and SFMR winds do not support Category 5 intensity.

Practically no surface observations along the coast where the highest winds would have occurred. Regardless, I don’t think cat5 winds existed there and 150mph is probably justified.

Personally, I don't believe any 150 mph winds hit anywhere at landfall. I know about recon and doppler measurements but every surface based instrument where the storm came in, and all readings from Lake Charles Airport, and from University of Florida in the areas around there, both before, and those after the storm, none of them that I saw showed anything sustained over 109 mph. Now I'm sure there were embedded winds much higher--but not enough to say it was 150 sustained. I'll say definitely not. Pressure isn't quite low enough either although I think it maxed intensity at 938 hPa which I suppose would make it "possible", I say nope.
3 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:04 pm

otowntiger wrote:

Couldn't agree more... read the data from buoy at Calcasieu Pass just as the eye approached, was over it, and passed it.. max winds measured -- nowhere near a Cat 4 I know that's only one location---but also agree that not a single ground report shows anything approaching a 4. If you're counting gusts (and I think some sources are) then yeah I've seen high end Cat 4 gusts.. but that's not how you gauge categories.
1 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Ubuntwo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:15 pm

Almost certainly not, but there are some interesting things to note.

For one, Laura's leveling off in the hours leading up to landfall seems attributable to hitting the max potential intensity for the area, which is a high end cat 4/~930mb:
This is also supported by the 'little evidence of shear' noted by the NHC in advisory 29.

If the storm reached a higher max wind speed I believe it was in the gap between NE eyewall passes. The storm appeared to reach peak satellite appearance around this time with a slight decline leading up until landfall. (again, possibly attributable to running into a lower MPI area)

With that said, I don't think the "low" surface obs have much weight in terms of landfall intensity. Michael, which I'm sure we all agree was a cat 5, had max land obs of 92G112kt @ Tyndall, similar to winds recorded in Lake Charles (both of these anemometers failed soon after). The max sustained wind values only ever verify in a narrow band along the coast that recieves the RFQ. For Laura, this quad went without observations until it reached Lake Charles - 30 miles inland - where friction and land interaction certainly had a reducing effect on winds. So I don't think intensity was overstated either.
6 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:49 pm

"both of these anemometers failed soon after" The anemometers at Lake Charles worked as it approached, as it passed, and after it passed to the west slightly. The Buoy never failed in its wind readings all the way through, so I think the comparison to Michael fails on that aspect. Bottom line is we'll never really know, because unlike Michael, no major populated areas or structures around landfall, hence those who want to believe it was 150 or more will believe it, and those who don't won't... regardless of what they are presented with. And I believe that applies to both sides. ;)
4 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”