When posting links....

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

When posting links....

#1 Postby CajunMama » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:38 am

Many of you may find that when you click on a link, you're redirected to the new page in the same window. Then when you close it, you find yourself having to reopen S2k. To solve that, when posting a link, use the "post reply" button to enter your info instead of replying in the quick reply box. Then when after pasting your link, hilite it and click the "URL" button. That will direct your link to a new window when someone clicks on it. It would really, really help some of us out. Thanks! :D
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby O Town » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:24 pm

Thank you for sticking this. It drives me batty. I have just tried to get in the habit of right clicking the link and opening it in a new window because half the people use the tags and the other half don't. Hopefully it will catch on..... :D
0 likes   

M_0331
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: When posting links....

#3 Postby M_0331 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:19 pm

Thanks for the insight; this link issue sure was causing me a lot of problems :double: .
Eddie :D
S/F
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby chadtm80 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:45 pm

I am in the habbit of just right clicking every link I come across on every site.. If you right click the link you can then select "open in new window" or "open in new tab"
0 likes   

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5 Postby P.K. » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:47 pm

Or even easier just click the link you want to open in a new tab with the scroll wheel on your mouse.
0 likes   

Recurve
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Recurve » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:30 pm

Or, one more tip (for internet explorer), hold Shift when you click the link to always open in a new window (IE).

But really, better that everyone does what CajunMama says. :wink:
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby O Town » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:26 pm

P.K. wrote:Or even easier just click the link you want to open in a new tab with the scroll wheel on your mouse.

Huh? You can set your mouse to do different things when you click it, mine doesn't do that and probably alot of others doesn't either. Mine is set to do the super scroll when clicked.
0 likes   

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8 Postby P.K. » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:32 pm

Well I've not changed any settings so that must be the default in FF (And has been for the 2 years + I've been using it).
0 likes   

gerrit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby gerrit » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:01 pm

P.K. wrote:Well I've not changed any settings so that must be the default in FF (And has been for the 2 years + I've been using it).

Also works in Opera and IE 7 :)
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby abajan » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:33 pm

FWIW, I believe W3C (the WorldWide Web Consortium) states somewhere that all links should open in the same window.

That's why the "target" attribute was deprecated in XHTML 1.0 and beyond.
0 likes   

kpost
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#11 Postby kpost » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:00 am

had to comment here. the scroll wheel by default will fast scroll when on a page but when on a link will open in a new tab works in firefox, IE, and opera. the stupid touch pad on the lap top is a different story though.
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Shoshana » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:36 pm

O Town wrote:
P.K. wrote:Or even easier just click the link you want to open in a new tab with the scroll wheel on your mouse.

Huh? You can set your mouse to do different things when you click it, mine doesn't do that and probably alot of others doesn't either. Mine is set to do the super scroll when clicked.

Having gone from a Microsoft mouse to a Logitec mouse - clicking the scroll wheel works on MS mice, not on Logitec mouse. I do miss it, but I rightclick now.

And a request- snip out non relevant stuff when you quote especially graphics/pics if you can - page will load faster and it won't take up so much room. Besides - the quote thing only works a few layers deep which is why some posts during the thick of things in the Ike threads looked weird.

I actually went into my profile and turned off all pictures including avatars when the board started bogging down during Ike. It made the board much faster - and we have a very fast connection. I could still click on individual pics if I wanted to see them, but didn't have to see the same thing 16 times in replies...
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”