TWC Staff Let Go, including Dave Schwartz

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: TWC Staff Let Go, including Dave Schwartz

#21 Postby Stephanie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:39 am

Miss Mary wrote:Another spin on the situation Steve. Thanks for another viewpoint.

I wish TWC would find it's compass again and begin with pleasing it's fans, first and foremost.

Sure would be nice if they still offered forums, then we could post our well wishes and appreciation for mets we've all come to admire and respect over the years.

If and when they offer forums again, that will be when they've found their compass again. I remember Cheryl coming online and posting comments in those forums. I liked her, but I really liked Dave and his enthusiasm. Jim Cantore has that same enthusiasm and that's what kind of scares me about the whole situation. A lot of people enjoyed watching Dave because of it, just like Jim Cantore and I just hope it's not a sign of more things to come. I just don't get it.
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby Frank2 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:58 am

Per Wikipedia:

As of November 20, 2008, The Weather Channel has begun laying off some of its staff. Included in the layoffs are OCM's Dave Schwartz, Cheryl Lemke, and Eboni Dion. In addition, former on air personality Melissa Tuttle was relieved of her duties, as was most of the marketing department, environmental unit, and the Road Crew (including Jeff Mielcarz). The layoffs are to take effect on November 30, 2008.

Being Cheryl's and Dave's age, I know how it feels to feel like you are being put out to pasture, especially if the decision is being made by those much younger...

Not that that happened to me at the NHC (I'm still part of that "family", thankfully), but, I still know how it feels...
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:54 pm

This totally sucks!! Dave Schwartz absolutely Rocked! And the others were pretty
good too. Whoever decided to fire them must be on crack!!!!

NBC is on Crack.
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby Frank2 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:48 am

To my surprise, Cheryl Lemke was on TWC at her usual time early this morning - I'm not sure if she's also on the 4 or 5 a.m. shift tomorrow morning (November 30), so, either today or tomorrow was or will be her last time on TWC...

I'm sure the others must have had something for her, and, for Dave and Eboni, too, since they are all on the weekends...

What a shame...
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#25 Postby Dionne » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:00 am

This all reminds me of when we lost the "local on the 8's" because of an end use contractual agreement with DirecTV. Another well aimed shot in the foot.
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Frank2 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:41 am

Cheryl was on again this morning, from 5-7 with Mark Mancuso (both veterans) - interestingly enough, the last segment seemed to end early (about 6:53), so, poor Cheryl didn't get a chance to say goodbye to those who've been seeing her on TWC since the early '90s, though I'm sure those she worked with did have something for her and the others who lost their jobs...

Dumb NBC (National Baloney Company)...
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#27 Postby Aslkahuna » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:26 pm

Why do you think NBC is dead last in the ratings. They are also letting Jay Leno go next year from the Tonight Show.

Steve
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#28 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:04 pm

Eboni Dione was on today too. I didn't stick around to see if she had anything to say. I was trying to see if TWC had put on the"Hurricane 2008" segment which they did and then interrupted to tell about breaking weather in FL and developing snow in the midwest. That was the part she was on for a few minutes. NBC has major work to do if they are going to make TWC continue to be viable and relevant in todays market. I must say that them breaking in on the show surprised me.
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#29 Postby pojo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:48 pm

Marshall retired not that long ago.... quite possibly a force out.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby Stephanie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:04 pm

pojo wrote:Marshall retired not that long ago.... quite possibly a force out.

I didn't know that. I'm out of the house before that comes on in the morning.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#31 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:30 am

Well I will admit to watching TWC more than usual. Just to see who is left.

And I will also admit that the ones still there that I recognize are looking - older.

Which means - time has marched on!

But I am tuning in more than I have in the past 5 years or so. And not for wx updates, I rely on the computer for that now. My family does too. If they're out and about, they will call home and have me go online to see instant wx radar. Of course it's available on our cable tier but my online local wx sources offer instant forecasts. TWC can't even touch that (cable channel that is.....you have to wait for local on the 8's!)......
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby breeze » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:41 pm

I still tune in to TWC on the mornings that I am getting ready for work, but
I usually don't watch it any other time as I used to. I noticed a lot of quite
"different" things going on, like Marshall's last morning, "missing" OCMs, and
the tendency to play the same episode of "Storm Stories" for a solid week!
I'm sure Marshall retired so he didn't have to hang around and wring his hands!
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby Stephanie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:49 pm

Good to see you Breeze! :D
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby Frank2 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:09 am

Last evening I was watching an old VHS tape from early 1993, and, at the end of the tape there was a portion of the old TWC "Good Afternoon Weather" segment that featured Mike Bono and the late Charlie Welch...

The cable video was grainy in comparison to the sharpness of today's signal, but, it was good to see the old TWC, if only for five minutes...

That piece of tape also included the "Michelin Driver's Report", and, the old WeatherStar 3000 feed at the end of the hour (years before the "Local on the 8's" began):

http://www.twcclassics.com/localforecast/3000/

it also included the old TWC "Accurate and Dependable" slogan used in the early 1990's, so, it was a trip down memory lane...

It also included the former "Selected Cities Summary" scroll, which was something that I helped to transmit from the NWS to TWC during their earliest years...

Only a weather person would understand all of that (though I should get out more)...

LOL
0 likes   

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby TexasStooge » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:57 am

"Forecast Earth" I can see being let go. But Dave Schwartz?

Why couldn't they let him stay on until he retires? That's what WFAA-TV did for recently retired meteorologist Troy Dungan.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”