"Sittin' on the Front Porch"

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#21 Postby Pburgh » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:46 am

Wow, a voice of reason from the past.
Hi there J. It's great to have you back. You have been missed.
1 likes   

j
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#22 Postby j » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:48 am

Pburgh wrote:Wow, a voice of reason from the past.
Hi there J. It's great to have you back. You have been missed.

Careful girl who you associate with. lol --- how's the golf game?? I hav given it up for now and I'm pursuing my bowling career. lol
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby Pburgh » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:00 pm

Trust me, I associate with only the BEST!!! LOL
I haven't been out this year. The weather is just turning nice so I'll have to get back with you on that.

Bowling!!!!! Now that is definitely a Pittsburgh sport!!!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#24 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:17 pm

Welcome back j........nice to see old friends return to the fold, always!

But I'm still trying to not laugh at Karan's comment about you.......j = the voice of reason from the past?

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Let the fun begin. It's official, spring is definitely here - j's back. LOL

Your return j begs the next question - where in the world is Chad?
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

Re: "Sittin' on the Front Porch"

#25 Postby breeze » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:05 pm

Yea - I was wondering where Chad went to, also!

Tomorrow is Friday - YAAAY!! I started a new job Monday at a doc's office, and I'll be officially
through my first week, tomorrow evening! My brain is spinning - lots of new stuff to learn!

I'm going to grab a cup of coffee and a KK and rest a few moments - everyone enjoy the rest
of the evening. I think I'll put that hammock chair up while I'm here, and see if Garrett shows up
to try and push me out of it! :lol:
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#26 Postby CajunMama » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:20 pm

Breeze!!!!!!!!! The crawfish festival is this weekend! There's alot of mudbugs callling your name!

Congrats on the new job...back to the 8-5 grind eh? Now you'll be able to visit us more. We've missed you.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#27 Postby Miss Mary » Fri May 01, 2009 7:50 am

breeze wrote:Yea - I was wondering where Chad went to, also!

Tomorrow is Friday - YAAAY!! I started a new job Monday at a doc's office, and I'll be officially
through my first week, tomorrow evening! My brain is spinning - lots of new stuff to learn!

I'm going to grab a cup of coffee and a KK and rest a few moments - everyone enjoy the rest
of the evening. I think I'll put that hammock chair up while I'm here, and see if Garrett shows up
to try and push me out of it! :lol:

Breeze - I'm currently looking for a doctor's office job again. I think this is where I'd be most happy. Working part time in a school cafeteria has been fun, I love the hours and who can complain about the schedule (holiday breaks, summer off, no evenings, no saturdays...LOL). But it's a very physically demanding job. I will never take food service for granted! Let me just say that. Anyway, I know I can't get more hours and we need the extra income so the search is on. Trouble is I'm worried I'll get into long working days again, like I used to have decades ago. 40 hours a week turned into 50! But in this economy maybe that isn't the case anymore......wish me luck too. I am just more cut out for clerical, PR, front desk work. I'd even take file clerk at this point.....LOL!

Good luck with your new job......
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby Pburgh » Fri May 01, 2009 7:56 am

Congrats Breeze on your new job.
Mary, with your personality, I think front desk medical is just your style. Good luck on the search.

I'm so glad it's Friday. I'll get thru today and crack open a bottle of chardonnay tonight. It's raining here so it looks like I'll spend some time this weekend doing spring cleaning. I do have a party on Saturday so that should be fun.
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby breeze » Fri May 01, 2009 9:00 pm

Thanks for the congrats, ladies - I made it through the week, alas!

Miss Mary, it's true that the 8-5 really does last longer a lot of evenings, but it's
still better than those 12-hour shifts I was working in private-duty. I loved the lady
I stayed with, but I'd rather be up and moving with various things going on - and,
where else but a doc's office?

Hey, CajunMama, I can hear those mudbugs calling! It's pouring so much rain here,
though, I'd have to come down in a boat! LOL, that year I went down there it stormed
all weekend, and you accused me of bringing the rain... I'd better stay here, this time! :wink:
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#30 Postby Miss Mary » Fri May 01, 2009 9:19 pm

breeze - in your case it does beat those 12 hour shifts. My ex-sister-in-law who's an RN wished she could work 8 hour shifts but only 12 were available. And 12 wasn't 12, more like 12.5 or 13. They tempt you with overnight shifts too because no one else wants them! She told me once that her sleep patterns were all messed up and it's because she's been working such odd hours for over 10 years now.

I used to suggest she look into medical offices. But the pay was lower she claimed.

All I know is I think by now I'd love to find a 4 day work week, in a medical office. I wouldn't mind one Saturday a month if I had to take one. Just not every Saturday.

There used to be so many medical receptionist ads in the paper. But not anymore.

One idea I had was to drop off copies of my resume and cover letters from my former med. office manage and current employer (who knows I'm looking) at various large medical practices in my area. Just asking them to keep my info on file should an opening come available. It's how I got my old job! What do you think? Just choose one afternoon and wear business attire, in case I'm interviewed on the spot (also how I got my old job) and visit around 20 offices. Couldn't hurt.
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby breeze » Sun May 03, 2009 6:53 pm

What a busy weekend! I finally managed to sit down and log on! I spent the night with my
best friend last night, and we had a pajama party and dragged out "Pirates of the Caribbean"
parts I, II, and III! Then, I went to my nephew and his wife's baby shower, this afternoon -
managed to sneak out before it was officially over...lol, I've a terrible habit of doing things
like that!

Miss Mary, I'd say that you have a good plan. Even if offices aren't advertising jobs, leaving
your resume is always a good move. Things can suddenly come up and already having those
resumes on hand beats the costs of advertising for the employers. I'd certainly take a day
and go around leaving resumes.

Another round of rain is coming - it sure pays to have a boat in the South, right now! Rivers
and creeks are flooding, and there's water pooled everywhere. We're going to be wishing for
just a little of this when the rains dry up around July.
:raincloud:

Everyone have a good night!
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#32 Postby Pburgh » Tue May 05, 2009 8:41 am

We have flooding around the Burgh too.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#33 Postby vbhoutex » Tue May 05, 2009 10:52 am

We got tired of it here in Houston and sent it North. J/K! I wouldn't wish what some here in Houston are gonig through/have gone through on anyone! S2k's own Jen Bayle's was one of thousands here who will be cleaning up and reordering their lives for months. Hope all is well for you in the Burg!
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby Pburgh » Tue May 05, 2009 11:16 am

Prayers for all of you down there. If you see Jen, give her a hug.

We're not having flooding like you have had. Our local creeks are flooding and any time you have two rivers converging to form one big one, you're in for trouble - the Monongahela, the Allegheny forming the Ohio right in downtown Pittsburgh.
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby breeze » Sat May 09, 2009 2:53 pm

It's still raining here! The sun peeps out, now and again, but really doesn't stay out
long enough to dry the soil before the next batch of rain moves in.... my flower seeds that
managed to come up are just sitting there and not getting any taller due to lack of sun. But,
as David mentioned, folks like Jen have much more to worry about than flowers not growing!

Where's Miss Mary? Her lawn chair is empty - it's not the same around here when she doesn't pop in!

Everyone have a good Saturday - I did my shopping chores this morning, and the house
chores are not getting done by the Merry Maids, so, off I go!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#36 Postby Miss Mary » Sun May 10, 2009 9:33 am

I'm here, I'm here. Prayers coming for Jen too. She's been loaned a lovely RV from a friend to stay in, while they renovate their flooded home. What a nice friend, huh? I'm sure Jen is surrounded by caring folks down her way.....she's always so quick to lend a helping hand when others need one. It's only fitting they return the favor now. The pics of her flooded home (lovely by the way) make me gasp. I cannot imagine going thru something like this. We're thinking of you Jen!

Happy Mother's Day everyone.......
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby breeze » Sun May 10, 2009 2:02 pm

Oh, that's wonderful that Jen has such good friends that are willing and able to lend a hand
to help - hard times don't seem so hard when people pull together and help one another!
0 likes   

coriolis
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#38 Postby coriolis » Thu May 21, 2009 10:23 pm

(drives by the porch and honks)
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby breeze » Sat May 30, 2009 8:10 am