Direct TV Drops The Weather Channel

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

Direct TV Drops The Weather Channel

#1 Postby WeatherGuesser » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:18 am

Contract dispute that has been in the news lately.

Those tuning to that channel now get Weather Nation.

For how long remains to be seen.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Direct TV Drops The Weather Channel

#2 Postby angelwing » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:43 am

And in the fall of 2014 Accuweather is also going to have a weather channel 24/7...things are getting interesting
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:47 am

Well, it appears that TWC no longer will monopolize the market for TV weather coverage anymore. Things are changing indeed.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby gboudx » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:28 am

Here's an article from CNN.com regarding this news. I have DTV and don't even know what the channel number is for TWC.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/13/news/co ... ?iid=HP_LN
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Tireman4 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:05 pm

I know it is 362, but I only watch it (only) when severe weather strikes...that is usually May-June....
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby MGC » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:15 pm

I've been watching WeatherNation the past couple of weeks instead of TWC. WN is what TWC use to be....weather. Hopefully this will be a wake up call to the brass at NBC to return TWC to what it was. Seemed every time I would tune to TWC the past couple years there would be a reality show on......MGC
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby WeatherGuesser » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:00 pm

MGC wrote:Hopefully this will be a wake up call to the brass at NBC to return TWC to what it was.

Hopefully DirecTV and the other service providers will carry WN and drop TWC.
0 likes   

LilGrimmy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby LilGrimmy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:24 am

Man, maybe I haven't looked for it recently but up until maybe a week ago and to my knowledge we still have TWC. Boring as all get out now but still there. That Weather Nation channel sucks...
0 likes   
Can-tank-er-ous: Adjective
Bad-tempered, argumentative, and uncooperative.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re:

#9 Postby tolakram » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:25 am

LilGrimmy wrote:Man, maybe I haven't looked for it recently but up until maybe a week ago and to my knowledge we still have TWC. Boring as all get out now but still there. That Weather Nation channel sucks...

Why does Weather Nation ... stink? Bad forecasting, bad presentation? I don't have access to it (other than some app on our Blueray player) and stopped watching TWC a long long time ago.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#10 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:12 pm

Now that TWC is unavailable to me now, I can see why weather entertainment shows were incorporated; having the meteorologists repeat the same thing every few hours is incredibly boring. It's nice to have a 24/7 weather channel, but WeatherNation seems short staffed and their technology/graphic design is decades behind TWCs.

Definitely prefer(ed) TWC. :(
0 likes   

tomboudreau
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby tomboudreau » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:47 am

Haven't watched TWC in years. Flipped on WN briefly the other day and didn't find it very interesting. Just use the internet for all weather information now.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby WeatherGuesser » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Apparently Marsh of the SPC has recommended NWS offices drop TWC from their office television displays. Supposedly somewhere on his FB page.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#13 Postby RL3AO » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:48 pm

You can read about what ticked off Marsh here.

http://blog.chron.com/weather/2014/01/w ... r-service/

Cantore interview on TWC

Q. Is it really appropriate to say this channel is about saving lives?

A. I really think when you kind of look at The Weather Channel overall, and you think about what happens before a storm, whether you’re an emergency manager’s office, whether you’re even at the National Weather Service or a local TV station, your first hint at what’s to come is from The Weather Channel.

------

So yeah...Cantore wants the public to think that the NWS gets their info from the TWC, when we all know its pretty much the opposite (when you include NWS/SPC/NCEP ect).
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#14 Postby Alyono » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Since Comcast remains the largest cable provider and they own TWC... many will always have access to TWC and likely will have no access to any competitor, unless they change to a different cable or satellite company
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby brunota2003 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:02 pm

I think it is inappropriate to suggest that the NWS finds out what will happen from TWC, basically stating they don't forecast.
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#16 Postby CajunMama » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:04 pm

I get my weather only from the internet and have for who knows how long.
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Frank2 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:16 pm

IMHO Comcast's purchase of TWC caused this to happen, and not because of their increase in reality show programming, but because it created a conflict with competing provider outlets - no one is going to be eager to carry a channel that is owned by a competing company and apparently that's why DTV is going to stand by their decision, because in relenting it would make their competition claim victory - not TWC but Comcast...

Some might recall 20 years ago and earlier TWC's claim (by Jim Cantore, if I remember correctly) that TWC was financially supported from it's beginning by the cable companies themselves - ironic that they are now owned by one company, and that puts them in conflict with every other provider - DTV might not be the only cable or satellite company to end their association, for the same reason....

Glad to see that TWC dropped their "call your Congressman" request, because insisting Washington get involved could have brought trouble on themselves - if I'm not mistaken Comcast had been accused of violating antitrust laws in some markets (I might hear from the weather mafia for saying that - lol, though I'm sure Comcast was already aware of that happening if they made too much noise)...

And, funny to hear some say that WN's graphics are terrible - sounds like the TWC comments of the early 1980's...

Frank2
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Cyclenall » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:51 pm

MGC wrote:I've been watching WeatherNation the past couple of weeks instead of TWC. WN is what TWC use to be....weather. Hopefully this will be a wake up call to the brass at NBC to return TWC to what it was. Seemed every time I would tune to TWC the past couple years there would be a reality show on......MGC

A trend in cable TV Channels right now that is accelerating is airing non-related programming to the network name like Country Music TV (CMT) airing America's Funniest Home Videos (all day long), The Funny Pit, Pick a Puppy, Reba, Just Ask Jim, Home Improvement, Fear Factor, Deal with It, Mob Cash (coming soon), The Middle, etc.; Much Music showing The Simpsons, South Park, The Cleveland Show, Community, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Conan, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Silent Library, and various movies totally unrelated to music; Much More Music airing SNL, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (used to), Parks and Rec, and near Jan.1 an all-day or evening marathon of Masterchef; A&E showing Storage, Shipping, Parking, etc. Wars; Outdoor Life Network (OLN) showing Ghost Shows, Repo Shows, Storage shows, Man vs Food, Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura, etc.; Discovery airing fully scripted "reality" shows like Amish Mafia, Moonshiners and History airing Ancient Aliens. The Learning Channel (TLC) hasn't aired really anything that has to do with their name for many years but their latest creation: Sex Sent me to the ER...all I learned was how much I need to weep for humanity after watching the series opener :lol: .

RL3AO wrote:You can read about what ticked off Marsh here.

http://blog.chron.com/weather/2014/01/w ... r-service/

Cantore interview on TWC

Q. Is it really appropriate to say this channel is about saving lives?

A. I really think when you kind of look at The Weather Channel overall, and you think about what happens before a storm, whether you’re an emergency manager’s office, whether you’re even at the National Weather Service or a local TV station, your first hint at what’s to come is from The Weather Channel.

------

So yeah...Cantore wants the public to think that the NWS gets their info from the TWC, when we all know its pretty much the opposite (when you include NWS/SPC/NCEP ect).

Wow, that reminds me of the thing SS posted in the Canadian thread about how a US presenter said (or person) that the extreme cold air during the first PV event, could reach Canada from the US...not realizing that Canada is closer to the Arctic than the US and where the air originates from first :lol: :lol: . That comment is a huge insult to The National Weather Service and Cantore should redact that one.
Last edited by Cyclenall on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Hurricaneman » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:27 am

angelwing wrote:And in the fall of 2014 Accuweather is also going to have a weather channel 24/7...things are getting interesting

And Network Weather which is also coming out around the same time
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#20 Postby Alyono » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:44 am

Frank2 wrote:IMHO Comcast's purchase of TWC caused this to happen, and not because of their increase in reality show programming, but because it created a conflict with competing provider outlets - no one is going to be eager to carry a channel that is owned by a competing company and apparently that's why DTV is going to stand by their decision, because in relenting it would make their competition claim victory - not TWC but Comcast...

Some might recall 20 years ago and earlier TWC's claim (by Jim Cantore, if I remember correctly) that TWC was financially supported from it's beginning by the cable companies themselves - ironic that they are now owned by one company, and that puts them in conflict with every other provider - DTV might not be the only cable or satellite company to end their association, for the same reason....

Glad to see that TWC dropped their "call your Congressman" request, because insisting Washington get involved could have brought trouble on themselves - if I'm not mistaken Comcast had been accused of violating antitrust laws in some markets (I might hear from the weather mafia for saying that - lol, though I'm sure Comcast was already aware of that happening if they made too much noise)...

And, funny to hear some say that WN's graphics are terrible - sounds like the TWC comments of the early 1980's...

Frank2

One issue, Comcast could prevent other carriers from carrying ALL of their channels. That would include no NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, USA, NBCSN, and many other channels. Comcast holds the upper hand here. Imagine a superbowl on NBC that cannot be shown on another carrier
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”