Images

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

Images

#1 Postby asd123 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:27 pm

I know how to post images by using image hosting sites that's not the question. The question is how do I post the images without breaking any copyright laws.
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Images

#2 Postby tolakram » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:23 pm

Don't post copyrighted images. Each site usually has a usage guideline telling you how and when you can use images. Most subscription based sites explicitly indicate that you may not post the images to public forums.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

#3 Postby asd123 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:22 pm

tolakram wrote:Don't post copyrighted images. Each site usually has a usage guideline telling you how and when you can use images. Most subscription based sites explicitly indicate that you may not post the images to public forums.

Problem is everything has a copyright, yet I see people post images all the time. I am tired of posting links to images. I think users of this website would benefit if there was an image with the post instead of having to click on the link and scroll down the page.

By the way, I sent Levi from Tropical Tidbits an email asking for permission and I hope he will respond and say yes.
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4 Postby tolakram » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:35 pm

There is nothing stating on his site that you can't use his images. All of his images have his website name on them. It would only be an issue if someone took his images and removed the attribution to TropicalTidbits.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#5 Postby wxman57 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:55 pm

I've discussed this with Levi (tropicaltidbits.com) in the past. He has no issues with posting his images in the forums or on tweets, as long as he's given credit.
0 likes   

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby asd123 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:23 pm

I got an email he said it was fine, so I will now be posting images with my post instead of just links to the picture.

In another email I asked him to join storm2k, let's see what he says.
0 likes   

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

#7 Postby asd123 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:04 pm

I know that NWS NOAA CPC data is public domain and everything, but I read somewhere on this website that there are restrictions to posting NWS NOAA CPC forecasts? What exactly is that rule?
0 likes   

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby asd123 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:49 pm

asd123 wrote:I know that NWS NOAA CPC data is public domain and everything, but I read somewhere on this website that there are restrictions to posting NWS NOAA CPC forecasts? What exactly is that rule?

Mods, executives, administrators, can you please tell me :?:
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#9 Postby tolakram » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 am

The only restrictions that I know of are posting forecasts without attribution and marking up maps with official symbols on them. For example, if you take a NOAA generated image with their logo and draw your forecast path on it. This is not allowed because the forecast might be mistaken for something official.

This post is updated on a regular basis to cover the rules and regulations for the board. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=87189

Unless it's a flagrant violation most issues end up being a friendly PM from one of us, so I would not be overly concerned.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

#10 Postby asd123 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:00 pm

You say that posting of images from subscriber sites is not allowed. However on Weatherbell, there is a note that says that any maps can be redistributed except for ECMWF non WMO essential. Mods and admins, what is your take?

To access disclaimer: http://models.weatherbell.com/
(Note is on last section of third column). Some browsers may cut off the text, just highlight whole section note, paste it into word. This way the cut off text will be visible too.)
0 likes   

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

#11 Postby asd123 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:06 pm

Just talked to vbhoutex. My suspicions were confirmed that posting of images of Weatherbell is allowed under certain circumstances. Here is Weatherbell's image disclaimer posted on their models page: http://models.weatherbell.com/

"Note: Any maps, images or charts from ECMWF (License) may never be posted or re-distributed (except for WMO-Essential). All other maps, images and charts from other models may be shared in moderation under the following conditions: The images may not be used for any commercial (revenue generating) purpose including, but not limited to, ad-supported websites or private consulting. Any images must be attributed to WeatherBell Analytics. If confused, ask Ryan."

UKMET is a relatively new model on Weatherbell. I think Ryan or Weatherbell forgot to add to their disclaimer as UKMET being off-limits for redistribution: disclaimer (located above too in quotes): http://models.weatherbell.com/
UKMET addition: https://twitter.com/ryanmaue/status/557057121422827520
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#12 Postby wxman57 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:36 am

I know that Ryan would rather not have any of their (WeatherBell) maps posted in public forums, regardless of what the terms and conditions statement says. We should refrain from posting images from ANY paid site unless they are first posted publicly (like on Twitter).
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”