Becoming a professional meteorologist without grad school?

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

Becoming a professional meteorologist without grad school?

#1 Postby Dean_175 » Thu May 07, 2015 3:40 pm

I want to become a non-broadcast meteorologist with the NWS. I have a bachelor's degree in meteorology and do not want to go back to school. Is it unlikely I could find a job in this field without a master's?
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#2 Postby RL3AO » Thu May 07, 2015 3:46 pm

From what I've picked up on talking with various NWS employees is that its becoming harder and harder to get into the NWS without the masters. The last stat I heard is that 90% of recent NWS hires have a MS or higher and that most of the 10% that don't had an internship/volunteer position with an office during school. I don't know what you have for skills or experiences since you graduated (was it this year?). If you have a skillset outside of meteorology like computer/programming skills or excellent communication skills, then that may make you look better on a resume.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”