Accepted to MSU for Operational Meteorology! Advice?

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Accepted to MSU for Operational Meteorology! Advice?

#1 Postby StormingB81 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:14 pm

So I just got my letter and I have been accepted to Mississippi State University to study Operation Meteorology. Some of you know me because of postings others know me more. I have always been enthused about weather and finally have done something about it. So question now. Besides the obvious what should I prepare for and what should I look for and do. I have heard do not take short cuts in the math classes among other things but just asking those who have been through it what to expect. Thank you
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Accepted to MSU for Operational Meteorology! Advice?

#2 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:01 pm

First of all CONGRATULATIONS!! I can't give you specific advice except to tell you to contact some of the pro-mets on this site by pm even if you get a good response from this post. There are several who have graduated in the last few years and some that have been doing it for probably more years than you are old. ALL would be good sources.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby StormingB81 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Well remember I am a little but older....I am 34..haha....but hey better late than never right.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#4 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:06 pm

StormingB81 wrote:Well remember I am a little but older....I am 34..haha....but hey better late than never right.
Most definitely!! I almost started met school at 54, but after speaking to a couple of the pro-mets I know decided to not pursue it due to my age and prospects of employment for someone my age when I would have graduated. You aren't anywhere near old. Your maturity should help you in your schoooling.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#5 Postby StormingB81 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:07 pm

vbhoutex wrote:
StormingB81 wrote:Well remember I am a little but older....I am 34..haha....but hey better late than never right.
Most definitely!! I almost started met school at 54, but after speaking to a couple of the pro-mets I know decided to not pursue it due to my age and prospects of employment for someone my age when I would have graduated. You aren't anywhere near old. Your maturity should help you in your schoooling.

Point taken....lol
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6 Postby RL3AO » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:20 pm

Question for you before I can give some advice. Which of these MSU programs are you planning on doing?

http://distance.msstate.edu/geosciences ... quirements

OR

http://www.geosciences.msstate.edu/pdf/listProf-OMP.pdf
0 likes   

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#7 Postby StormingB81 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:40 pm

RL3AO wrote:Question for you before I can give some advice. Which of these MSU programs are you planning on doing?

http://distance.msstate.edu/geosciences ... quirements

OR

http://www.geosciences.msstate.edu/pdf/listProf-OMP.pdf

I have been admitted as a Special Non Degree student for the Bachelor of Science in Geo sciences Operational Meteorology. In 2 years once I receive my certificate I will go into the Bachelors part of it
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”