IBM Buys The Weather Company - Leaves The Weather Channel

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

IBM Buys The Weather Company - Leaves The Weather Channel

#1 Postby WeatherGuesser » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:29 am

IBM announced Wednesday that it has purchased the Weather Company. It is essentially buying everything except the actual TV network. IBM is taking the Weather Company's digital assets, including the uber-popular Weather Channel mobile app, weather.com, and -- most crucially for IBM -- all the company's forecasting data and technology.

Through a business unit called WSI, the Weather Company licenses its data to businesses across many industries, including media, aviation, energy, insurance and public utilities. It also provides weather data for Google and Apple (AAPL, Tech30). And it owns the largest commercial meteorological database in the world, along with massive facilities that collect radar, satellite, and other weather information.

WSI says it processes 100 gigabytes of weather information each day.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/28/technol ... r-channel/
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: IBM Buys The Weather Company - Leaves The Weather Channel

#2 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:58 pm

Very interesting. At first I didn't think it made sense, but after reading the article it makes perfect sense. I was wondering "who is behind this?", but after the article I understand(I think).
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:45 am

in fact, three billion weather forecast reference points, as well as weather data from more than 40 million smartphones and 50,000 daily airplane flights. All this will be a perfect data set to run through Watson and IBM’s cloud computing prowess to mine for new insights on weather patterns that impact our daily lives.

Meanwhile, in the Physical Analytics Lab at the company’s Yorktown Heights, NY, research facility, a team has been working with the Department of Energy on technology that could one day (fairly soon) accurately predict when clouds will form (and therefore, rain). IBM also already partnered with the Weather Company earlier this year to provide cities with a disaster management tool as the Atlantic hurricane season began.

Now with direct access to the Weather Company’s multitudinous sensors and digital channels, IBM could revolutionize how well we’re able to predict—and plan for—weather events using data already available today.

http://qz.com/535345/ibm-is-going-to-ch ... th-watson/

IBM 'Cloud Computing' :idea: :wink:
0 likes   

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby TexasStooge » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:24 am

This explains why I haven't seen the "weather.com" URL address anywhere on the cable network itself since 2013.
0 likes   
Weather Enthusiast since 1991.
- Facebook
- Twitter

Return to “Off Topic”