Apparently the Earth Is in an Active Earthquake Phase

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Apparently the Earth Is in an Active Earthquake Phase

#1 Postby abajan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:58 pm

Heard something on our local news recently about seismologists stating that the earth is currently in an active earthquake phase. I monitor this site fairly often and it does indeed seem like the frequency of strong quakes is increasing. Just within the last 24 hours there was a 7.0 in Vanuatu and a 6.8 off the coast of Mexico. And a few weeks ago, there was a 6.8 a couple hundred miles east of Barbados which raised the eyebrows of a few Eastern Caribbean seismologists due to its unusual location, not near to any fault line.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Apparently the Earth Is in an Active Earthquake Phase

#2 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:46 pm

abajan wrote:Heard something on our local news recently about seismologists stating that the earth is currently in an active earthquake phase. I monitor this site fairly often and it does indeed seem like the frequency of strong quakes is increasing. Just within the last 24 hours there was a 7.0 in Vanuatu and a 6.8 off the coast of Mexico. And a few weeks ago, there was a 6.8 a couple hundred miles east of Barbados which raised the eyebrows of a few Eastern Caribbean seismologists due to its unusual location, not near to any fault line.

That last location makes me raise my eyebrows too! Very unusual location!!
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Apparently the Earth Is in an Active Earthquake Phase

#3 Postby chaser1 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:17 pm

That is interesting?! I recently went to Iceland and was fascinated how the mid Atlantic ridge line rises above the ocean where Iceland was actually formed; This by the very volcanic activity which has (and still is) occuring where the North American and European continental plates meet, impact or are separating. I can only assume that this same Mid-Atlantic ridge line continues southward as well and may be the demarkation where perhaps the S. American tectonic plate and some other (African?) tectonic plate might abutt and interact? I suppose that might be the cause of past volcanic activity which has occured in the Eastern Caribbean Islands and maybe also the cause of these recent earthquakes east of Barbados.

Makes you wonder if this is an area that will evolve into an increasingly active "hot-spot" for increased volcanic activity which we're more used to seeing associated with the Ring of Fire region in the Pacific??? I guess further evidence of that would be some connect the dots pattern from a number of new areas of active volcanism along this Central/North Atlantic ridge line. So far the only other "hot-point" that I'm aware of is around Iceland and some infrequent underground quakes around the Canary Islands in the N. Atlantic.

All that aside though, it certainly DOES seem as if there have been an increasing amount of bad earthquakes lately. Could all be a normal process constantly occuring on Earth over the many thousands of years, but then again does anything just "happen" in a vacuum? I"m sure there's some very real cause and effect relationships that could play a role in tectonic shifts and the overall movement of magma deep below the surface. I've heard a number of theories that range from the "way out there" to what seems more plausible.

One very real change occuring to our planet now, and one that has appearantly occured a number of times during our planet's history, is the shifting of Earth's actual magnetic poles. I think this is a relatively recent discovery that scientists began to notice maybe during the last 20 or so years but is getting increasing attention due to the poles increased speed of movement during the last year or two. I think I read that these magnetic pole shifts normally takes several hundred years to occur but from what i've read and understood, scientists have taken notice that the poles seem to be moving faster than expected. One article I recently read had several U.S. scientist predicting our poles are moving a number of miles faster each year and may completely shift during the course of the next 60-100 years.

Still, all that info and $1.50.... still won't buy you a cup of coffee LOL (especially at Starbucks!) Either way, theres a WIDE range of opinion regarding what if any impact these magnetic pole shifts will have on our planet. My own opinion is that it seems reasonable that the Earth's core or perhaps the movement of sub surface magma moves and shifts as a result of either pressure, gravitational pull from the sun, or heck... maybe tens of millions of people in China and India all jumping up and down at the same time ;) But I do think it could be related to a shifting of our planets magnetic poles though. More I think about it, perhaps its the magnetic characteristics of our planet's very core and shifting magma, that might be the CAUSE of Earth's magnetic poles shifting???
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Off Topic”