Professional Update

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

Professional Update

#1 Postby JonathanBelles » Tue May 24, 2016 9:09 pm

"So you're gonna be on The Weather Channel someday, eh?" was one of the most common questions that I received while I was at FSU as a meteorology student. For much of a decade I always took the time to explain that meteorologists do more than TV and The Weather Channel. And they do more often than not. This response was often a an honest, but easy way of saying 'no'.

The winds of change have gust in and changed that answer in recent weeks. I have been brought aboard the TWC Digital Team as a "Digital Meteorologist" in Atlanta, GA just ahead of this hurricane season.

As a Digital Meteorologist, I will be responsible for writing some of the content that appears on weather.com and their mobile app, and providing meteorological guidance to the content and video teams.

I am excited to take on this new challenge, and I realize that I am incredibly lucky to become part of this well established team of meteorologists. It may have taken a long time for me to join a team, but I also realize that I was lucky to have an extended break to enjoy with family and friends after 8 unbeatable years of college. I look forward to enjoying an Autumn with falling leaves and cooling temperatures too. I know that I have lots to learn over the next few months.

Throughout the last year I had numerous big supporters that helped me find jobs and look in places that I never thought of. S2k undoubtedly has played a role in the early parts of my development as a meteorologist, and I am grateful for that. Thank you to those that have and will help me along the way.

Can't wait for you to join me on my new journey.
--Jonathan (@JonathanBelles)
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Professional Update

#2 Postby RL3AO » Tue May 24, 2016 9:51 pm

Congrats Jonathan! I too get the "so you're gonna be on TV" all the time.
0 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby tropicwatch » Tue May 24, 2016 10:19 pm

8-) Cool!
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4 Postby tolakram » Wed May 25, 2016 6:24 am

Very very cool, good luck in your new job!
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#5 Postby vbhoutex » Wed May 25, 2016 9:43 am

So happy for you Jonathan!! You've always been at the top of your game no matter what you've done and I know you will be the same at TWC!! What an amazing opportunity!! Also, thanks for the kudos to S2k. I feel it is part of the mission of this site to at a minimum help educate and nurture those interested in meteorology.
ps:Don't forget us now that you are part of the big leagues!! :cheesy:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Hurricaneman » Wed May 25, 2016 8:31 pm

You have a lot of people to sponge off of not in any order

Dr. Greg Forbes
Jim Cantore
Paul Goodloe
Dave Schwartz
Dale Eck
Bryan Norcross
Mike Seidel
Mark Elliott
Mike Bettes
and many more

That would be a dream of mine so I'm happy for you
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby sunny » Thu May 26, 2016 9:09 am

Congratulations!!
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Cyclenall » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:18 pm

You are a very lucky man, and also very hard working; what a great time to join TWC right when they are improving again.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”