EWWW Rats in my house!

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

EWWW Rats in my house!

#1 Postby euro6208 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:51 am

Living on Guam, I've grown accustomed to many types of insects and animals visiting especially when living near the jungle. :lol:

But not BIG BIG Master Splinter RATS! EWW.

We just moved from the front where we lived for years to the back of a duplex where it has been abandoned for years. First weeks were ok then I saw Splinter moving through my kitchen. I happened to notice it came from the ROOF! climbing down a shelve underneath a wide area of chewed wood. So that's where it lived... :eek: I just heard it moving around like it was being chased. MORE RATS? :eek:

Should i move and get away from it or try to destroy it? My landlord knows about it and is quiet about it and doesn't want to renovate the house. :cry:

What shall i do?
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re: EWWW Rats in my house!

#2 Postby Hurricaneman » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:32 am

Call pest control, they will remove them
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby tolakram » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Something the size of a rat is easy to keep out but if you're renting it's something the landlord should take care of, or simply move somewhere else IMO. Field mice ... now there's a tough nut to crack. :)
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

stormwise
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby stormwise » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:38 am

Get a cat.

0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#5 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:07 am

euro6208 wrote:Living on Guam, I've grown accustomed to many types of insects and animals visiting especially when living near the jungle. :lol:

We just moved from the front where we lived for years to the back of a duplex where it has been abandoned for years. First weeks were ok then I saw Splinter moving through my kitchen. I happened to notice it came from the ROOF! climbing down a shelve underneath a wide area of chewed wood. So that's where it lived... :eek: I just heard it moving around like it was being chased. MORE RATS? :eek:

Should i move and get away from it or try to destroy it? My landlord knows about it and is quiet about it and doesn't want to renovate the house. :cry:

What shall i do?

You know what is best for you and yours, but if I was in the situation you are describing, I would move. It is obviously an ongoing problem and it sounds like there could be a colony of rats.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby euro6208 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:49 pm

vbhoutex wrote:
euro6208 wrote:Living on Guam, I've grown accustomed to many types of insects and animals visiting especially when living near the jungle. :lol:

What shall i do?

You know what is best for you and yours, but if I was in the situation you are describing, I would move. It is obviously an ongoing problem and it sounds like there could be a colony of rats.

I haven't done anything yet too busy. I just managed to trap a big rat that came out and went back in a vacant room. I used a dirty towel to cover the bottom opening door. :lol:...Last night when i was about to sleep, I heard another thug like sound. I think one just came down from the roof. Even my dog noticed it. :eek: Hopefully i can start doing something
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby euro6208 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:59 pm

Eww yet another one. I was taking a shower and looked up to the artificial roof that was built under the old one and saw a long blackish/brown telephone cord lookalike sticking out of a small opening. I thought it was dead, i grabbed a long stick and touched it. IT MOVED EWW! :eek: and ran off to a different spot where i don't know. :cry:
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby euro6208 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:49 am

Ok time to move. I found all kinds of tunnels even holes connecting my living space to the vacant rooms too!

I was shocked just minutes ago, I saw a rat peaking out my shelve closet (about 6-9 foot above the ground, maybe the same one i trapped in the room} where i keep my cooking oil, sauces and such and next thing it was on the very top roof of the closet. God, then it disappeared into a hole it probrably created on the left corner so it jumped into it...

2 days ago i blocked the bottom opening door with a dirty rag and now i just taped that opening hole at the top... I can still hear noises.

It's raining heavy now, I wonder what will that do? make them more active? :eek: :lol: We were'nt here when the last typhoon made it's closest approach to Guam last May of 2015, I wonder what that have been liked. I just heard my plates moving around... :double:
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#9 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:34 pm

euro6208 wrote:Ok time to move. I found all kinds of tunnels even holes connecting my living space to the vacant rooms too!

I was shocked just minutes ago, I saw a rat peaking out my shelve closet (about 6-9 foot above the ground, maybe the same one i trapped in the room} where i keep my cooking oil, sauces and such and next thing it was on the very top roof of the closet. God, then it disappeared into a hole it probrably created on the left corner so it jumped into it...

2 days ago i blocked the bottom opening door with a dirty rag and now i just taped that opening hole at the top... I can still hear noises.

It's raining heavy now, I wonder what will that do? make them more active? :eek: :lol: We were'nt here when the last typhoon made it's closest approach to Guam last May of 2015, I wonder what that have been liked. I just heard my plates moving around... :double:

:double: :double: :double: :double: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: DEFINITELY time to move!! GACK!!!!
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby abajan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:59 am

I can relate. We're currently contending with rats running about in our roof. Sometimes they sound like thunder. I think I spotted a small one in our kitchen too! A cat might be able to handle the one in the kitchen but judging by the sounds emanating from the roof, the others might kill the cat!
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby euro6208 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:39 am

abajan wrote:I can relate. We're currently contending with rats running about in our roof. Sometimes they sound like thunder. I think I spotted a small one in our kitchen too! A cat might be able to handle the one in the kitchen but judging by the sounds emanating from the roof, the others might kill the cat!

I even saw new kids...still big but skinny...jumping around...

I'm still stubborn. :lol: Don't wanna leave and will fight. We have closed all holes (Slammed Wood with nails and ducktaped all openings) and now we just hear them running around on top of us looking for help and food. HAHA! We even destroyed their road to freedom from the the ground up where they like to cling onto ropes and wires and climb to the roof and vice versa.

As a former owner of beautiful Mices for years, I kinda feel bad for them but these are bigger something i have not faced ever...
Last edited by euro6208 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

stormwise
Category 2
Category 2

#12 Postby stormwise » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:03 am

Throw some talon rat baits up in the roof space that will clear em all out.
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby euro6208 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:08 am

Finally...

Killed the big ugly blackish/brown fat one bludgeon murder with a stick that managed to somehow get down from the roof from the many wires coming out from the top going down to the ground.

The roof now is very quiet. Like the rats suddenly disappeared...

The brown one in vacant room is eerily quiet and the kids...
Last edited by euro6208 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby euro6208 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:11 am

stormwise wrote:Throw some talon rat baits up in the roof space that will clear em all out.

We'll see but if there is more rats than expected then likely...

Depends if we hear any more noises next morning...already 1008 pm here...
0 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Kazmit » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Ew. We have cockroaches and ants in ours. :grr:
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby euro6208 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:07 am

euro6208 wrote:
stormwise wrote:Throw some talon rat baits up in the roof space that will clear em all out.

We'll see but if there is more rats than expected then likely...

Depends if we hear any more noises next morning...already 1008 pm here...

Heard more this morning ...
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby euro6208 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:38 am

:lol:

Still living with the rats. Actually feel like they are more of a lost family members we have not seen in a long time trying to communicate with us. :lol: But when i see one, all my hatred and disgustedness comes out. Better for them to just hide. :lol:

Above our room, we can definitely hear some kind of nest, squicking babies, not sure if it's in the roof or walls.

What makes me sick is that we have blocked all the entrances and exit on the walls, floors, and roofs and now they are using my door and windows to gain entry! EWW... I have so much patience for them, pretty soon, i'm gonna get some kind of poison or rat trap. :lol:
0 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby JDawg512 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:30 pm

I happened to come across this thread and found it interesting. May I ask why you dislike rats so much? Sure they can be diseased and they can overpopulate if they are not kept in check but other than that what else about them creeps you out?

I have a little fascination about why people are afraid of certain animals.

Rats don't bother me so much though part of that is I used to play with my friend's pet rats growing up. They are basically oversized mice. I guess it also helps that I've played with mice and kept Hamsters and a pair of Gerbals as a kid. I will admit that wild rats are not the same as pet rats that look cute. Wild rats can be pretty ugly.

I live in Austin, Tx so I've had at least one rat get into the house as well as a few mice. There's been a couple of Possums and Racoons that I've found in my laundry room in the middle of the night. They occasionally break in through our cat door in search for the cat's food. That can startle me but only due to their size when I turn on the light before I realize what they are. Usually they run out the cat door pretty quickly but one time a Possum decided to freeze up and hiss. I just left him alone and turned out the light and he was gone by the morning.

I'm creeped out when I see spiders and those big giant flying roaches in my house. Now that's what makes me say eeww and run lol. Not a fan of snakes either.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby euro6208 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:34 am

I don't know why i hate them. I used to have pet mices for years and years but these are bigger. Maybe it's just me watching too much social media and reading mostly bad things about them online.

Maybe it's how fast they move and how big we are compared to them. :lol:

We finally bought a rat trap aka cage with some bread overnight. We woke up and found a medium size rat inside in the morning. Much smaller than the first one we killed. I was happy but as i watched it no matter how ugly it was , i felt really sad. It's just a living thing looking for food. It's eyes fixed on me like Ratatouille aka the movie. :lol:

So we decided to just let it loose far away from my house. Hope we continue to do this for the other rats.

I'm still a gentle soul. :wink:

I also hate spiders the big ones especially but these i admire since they like to kill the roaches in my house. Oh, rainy days, these flying roaches are something! :lol:

Snakes are ok to me as long as they don't disturb me. :D
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby euro6208 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:51 am

Mmm, we bought a rat trapper (cage with bait inside) and caught one like 3-4 weeks ago using just bread. We let it free somewhere far from home and now, NOTHING above our head and in the walls. Dead silence. What could have happened to that baby nest we always hear every night? Our bait cage hasn't caught anything since.

Rejoice right? Nope, now we are getting visited by big brown tree snakes! We have already killed 2 of these in our backyard. Maybe they ate the baby rats in the roof? :eek:
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”