Storm2k Views, 2016

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

Storm2k Views, 2016

#1 Postby TheAustinMan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:29 pm

Data as of October 7, 2016, at 5:28 pm Central Time, US.
Views

Today the old Storm2k viewer count record of 1317 set on August 23, 2011 during Hurricane Irene was broken this afternoon in large part due to Hurricane Matthew and the conclusion of the 12z ECMWF run, which increased confidence in impacts on the United States along with a cohort of other models. As such the record now stands at 1342 viewers.

Throughout year I have been cataloging the view count on Storm2k, and given the new record set today thought I'd take the time to share some of that data with y'all. I began taking data after January 29, so unfortunately the stats for views during Hurricane Alex and southern hemisphere activity during most of January is unavailable.

For clarity, the bright blue and orange lines represent 24-hour averages in total views and registered user views, respectively, while the faint lines represent the view count every hour for those two categories. Following an inactive period in February, activity picked up again in the Spring which continued throughout the year. The big spike in the middle of the image is the result of Tropical Storm Colin, which hit 432 viewers at its peak. Colin's view count remained uncontested until the INVEST that eventually became Hurricane Hermine developed, and that's responsible for the large peak towards the latter end of the graph. Hurricane Matthew's recent exploits reveal themselves in the massive spike at the right of the image that is currently ongoing - the view count is large enough that can see the views spike up and down day-to-day as the modelling swayed to and fro the United States.

The registered user count is generally more stable and more representative of post activity ongoing on the boards, so that's available below:

Threads

I've also been keeping tabs on the forum posts this year, specifically threads with more than 1000 replies. I've seen many users express an interest in how the thread sizes this year have been stacking up against prior storms, so the list below documents the largest threads this year and how they stack up against Storm2k's largest threads:

THREAD RANK RANK AMONG STORM THREADS
---------------- ---- ------------------------
Matthew Discussion #6 #4
Hermine Discussion #11 #6
Matthew - Models #18 ---
2016 Seasonal Indicators #108 ---
2016 Global Model Runs Discussion #113 ---
Earl #116 #68
Texas - Spring 2016 #123 ---
Colin #172 #95
Pouch 43L (Pre-Matthew) #179 #100

For reference, the largest storm thread is Ike with 676 pages of content. The largest thread overall is the Caribbean/Central American weather thread with 920 pages of content.

Perhaps noteworthy of mention is that Hermine is the most viewed Storm2K storm thread of all time, and the second most viewed thread overall (counting threads with than 1000 posts). Matthew's discussion and model threads are not very far behind, and combined have more than 1 million views.

I'll update the stats here throughout the year.
Last edited by TheAustinMan on Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1 likes   
ImageImageImage
- Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Storm2k Views, 2016

#2 Postby tolakram » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:33 pm

I like those dividers you used. :D Neat post, thanks for graphing it.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:39 pm

Very interesting data.Wow,the Caribbean thread is closing on 1,000 pages. :eek:
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

#4 Postby TheAustinMan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:23 pm

We broke Matthew's view record several times within the past hour, increasing the earlier 1342 view record to 1386, 1404, and then 1409. Matthew's discussion thread size has moved up from 24th to 17th all-time for Storm2k in the past day, while the model thread has increased from 21st to 19th.
0 likes   
ImageImageImage
- Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby brunota2003 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:26 am

This is definitely interesting!

Something to keep in mind when ranking TC threads: Older storms had everything (discussion and models) combined all in one thread...there weren't too many of us, so things didn't progress as fast as they do now! After a storm is over, I'm pretty sure the discussion thread and model thread are combined before being archived now? So that would impact the stats...but it is interesting to see where the discussion/model threads stand...before even being combined! Impressive!
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:40 am

TheAustinMan wrote:We broke Matthew's view record several times within the past hour, increasing the earlier 1342 view record to 1386, 1404, and then 1409. Matthew's discussion thread size has moved up from 24th to 17th all-time for Storm2k in the past day, while the model thread has increased from 21st to 19th.

The highest online count came yesterday as evidenced by this:
In total there are 1306 users online :: 178 registered, 8 hidden and 1120 guests (based on users active over the past 15 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1552 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:56 pm
Thanks so much for doing these stats!!! Gives us a good view of what is going on.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

#7 Postby TheAustinMan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:27 pm

Matthew broke 1 million views earlier today, becoming the first Storm2K thread to do so. Matthew's discussion thread moves up to 6th all time by size, and among storm threads it ranks 4th, behind Ike, Fay, and Dean. Matthew's model thread has inched forward to 18th largest all time, and is also the largest storm model thread in Storm2K history by nearly 100 pages.
0 likes   
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off Topic”