Surviving H. Irma

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Surviving H. Irma

#1 Postby DaylilyDawn » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:59 pm

We survived Hurricane Irma with minimal damage, a few shingles off the roof and our tv antenna was lost. But the roof stayed on the house even though we had 100 mile per hour winds.But the cable connection for our Internet service, was lost for Sun. night through Wed. we just got it back this morning. I had over 438 emails to go through.
1 likes   

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Surviving H. Irma

#2 Postby gigabite » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:59 pm

I survived Irma 2017. That was as bad as Wilma 2005, technically it may have been a more intense storm, but what I have seen driving around Naples, Florida. There is not as much structural damage, except for the power infrastructure. Much of the unregulated construction was removed by Wilma 2005, and hundreds of old code pool cages. Power poles were just snapped in half, usually in pairs. Lots of trees toppled, but this time they didn't tear up the curb & gutters and sidewalks. Maybe it had to do with all the rain this summer. The close in rural estates from what I saw are still flooded. I talked to one gentleman. He said his place out in the estates was destroyed by blown over trees. The eastern estates took a beating from what they say. I haven't had the opportunity to drive out there yet. Naples Mobile Homes, an over 55 manufactured home community had a lot of damage, again it was a building code thing. The older units were obliterated, but the newer units seemed fine from the road. There is power at my office, but not at home, so I'm camping out there. Hot coffee instant oatmeal in the morning, A/C and inflatable mattress at night. I am glad I dropped the $15 on the inflater.

I is good to hear you are ok. Stay safe, Floridians are tough crackers, unfortunately not everyone realizes there are rules at a 4 way stop.
1 likes   

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby DaylilyDawn » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Gigabit,
I hope your house gets power restored real soon. I am in Polk county which is north of where you are, we are near the center of FL. Driving around here in Lakeland we have seen fences, and trees uprooted, one tree fell on a shed and crushed it but missed that person's garage . I go back to work next Tues even though we didn't lose power for very long. We lost it for a few minutes but then it came back on.
2 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4 Postby CajunMama » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:28 pm

Glad to hear y'all both fared well. I have a friend from here (Lafayette) who moved to Naples last year. She said she fared well too except for some material damage.
1 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#5 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:19 am

Glad to know you both are ok!! Thanks for checking in with us!!
1 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Return to “Off Topic”