How old were you when you first got into the tropics or just weather in general?

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: How old were you when you first got into the tropics or just weather in general?

#21 Postby ElectricStorm » Sat May 08, 2021 9:04 am

Iceresistance wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
I never knew that AmericanWX existed! Applying as a user there right now! :D

Also, how long does it take before I'm able to be on there?

There's also WX Disco.
And I got right in American wx right after I verified my email

Mine never came, there is also Infinity WX, mainly for Texas . . .

Maybe try to type the link slowly?

Check your spam. That's where mine was
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: How old were you when you first got into the tropics or just weather in general?

#22 Postby Iceresistance » Sat May 08, 2021 9:48 am

Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:There's also WX Disco.
And I got right in American wx right after I verified my email

Mine never came, there is also Infinity WX, mainly for Texas . . .

Maybe try to type the link slowly?

Check your spam. That's where mine was

I found it, And I'm in! :D
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Sat May 08, 2021 11:24 pm

Well, I guess I'm the old man on the thread so far. I first got interested in weather in 1957, June to be exact. Even though I remember Flossy of 1956 which came through closer to us--it was nothing compared to what came in 1957. I was sitting on a lawn chair (canvas type) and noticed it was blustery-- I got up and a gust just picked that thing up and blew it all the way down our driveway to the street. I'd never seen that before. My dad came out and said it was that storm over Cameron name of "Audrey". Hence my moniker: Audrey2Katrina. although a more accurate one now would be Audrey2Zeta --however A2K still works for me. I've been following the tropics ever since. I still watch every invest, and even download reconnaissance data when I can. I just find the force of nature fascinating; but having been through a large number of these monsters--I prefer being a safe distance away from them as I've learned to give them a lot of room and a great deal of respect.

A2K
3 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#24 Postby wxman57 » Sun May 09, 2021 7:25 pm

Audrey2Katrina wrote:Well, I guess I'm the old man on the thread so far. I first got interested in weather in 1957, June to be exact. Even though I remember Flossy of 1956 which came through closer to us--it was nothing compared to what came in 1957. I was sitting on a lawn chair (canvas type) and noticed it was blustery-- I got up and a gust just picked that thing up and blew it all the way down our driveway to the street. I'd never seen that before. My dad came out and said it was that storm over Cameron name of "Audrey". Hence my moniker: Audrey2Katrina. although a more accurate one now would be Audrey2Zeta --however A2K still works for me. I've been following the tropics ever since. I still watch every invest, and even download reconnaissance data when I can. I just find the force of nature fascinating; but having been through a large number of these monsters--I prefer being a safe distance away from them as I've learned to give them a lot of room and a great deal of respect.

A2K

I think A2Z has a nice ring to it. ;-) I started tracking hurricanes in 1961 with Carla. I was born about 6 weeks after Audrey in 1957.
3 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby toad strangler » Sun May 09, 2021 7:32 pm

Tropics - 1985 Hurricane Gloria - growing up on the Jersey Shore
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Iceresistance » Wed May 12, 2021 7:52 pm

I recently remember tracking several Supercells on May 10th, 2010 . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Wed May 12, 2021 10:42 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Audrey2Katrina wrote:Well, I guess I'm the old man on the thread so far. I first got interested in weather in 1957, June to be exact. Even though I remember Flossy of 1956 which came through closer to us--it was nothing compared to what came in 1957. I was sitting on a lawn chair (canvas type) and noticed it was blustery-- I got up and a gust just picked that thing up and blew it all the way down our driveway to the street. I'd never seen that before. My dad came out and said it was that storm over Cameron name of "Audrey". Hence my moniker: Audrey2Katrina. although a more accurate one now would be Audrey2Zeta --however A2K still works for me. I've been following the tropics ever since. I still watch every invest, and even download reconnaissance data when I can. I just find the force of nature fascinating; but having been through a large number of these monsters--I prefer being a safe distance away from them as I've learned to give them a lot of room and a great deal of respect.

A2K

I think A2Z has a nice ring to it. ;-) I started tracking hurricanes in 1961 with Carla. I was born about 6 weeks after Audrey in 1957.

You know you're RIGHT as rain (no pun intended). A2Z would be almost like alpha2omega... however after this season it could change all over again... and designing a neat avatar is well, I'm a bit lazy when it comes to doing that all over again. I remember Carla WELL. I know few if any people use the HSI index anymore; but Carla is STILL #1 on their list, because of size and intensity combination.

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby Iceresistance » Thu May 13, 2021 5:58 am

Audrey2Katrina wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

A2K

You know you're RIGHT as rain (no pun intended). A2Z would be almost like alpha2omega... however after this season it could change all over again... and designing a neat avatar is well, I'm a bit lazy when it comes to doing that all over again. I remember Carla WELL. I know few if any people use the HSI index anymore; but Carla is STILL #1 on their list, because of size and intensity combination.

A2K

I've noticed that you joined in 2005, so maybe Audrey2Katrina was the time before you showed up here . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Sun May 16, 2021 12:08 pm

Yup, joined in October or so of 2005, and Katrina was what helped me find S2K -- I thought A2K was an appropriate moniker! :wink:
1 likes   

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby lrak » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:50 pm

Really never had any interest in the weather, or wanted to understand it until about 1980.  Living in S Texas and active in athletics (football and track) I was always praying for rain since I hated football practice...lol.  So I started watching the Weather Channel and figuring out how the weather basically works.  Then after dumping football for surfing, John Hope was my go to guy at 10 before the hour everyday on cable...OMG we had 25 channels back then.  So hating football practice and the love for surfing got me hooked on weather which made me my family's meteorologist....LMAO  
2 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby galaxy401 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:08 pm

Growing up in the midwest, storms always intrigued me despite the fact that they also scared me when I was a kid. My older sister was always interest in Tornadoes and that probably kick-started my love-and-hate fascination with storms.

Even though hurricanes were far away from where I lived, seeing them on the Weather Channel with their large eye was quite impressive to see. The first hurricane I tracked was Claudette in 2003, when I was eight years old. I remember following the 2004 hurricane season as well as Katrina in 2005. After that, my interest in hurricanes waned until 2008. Gustav was the hurricane that really made me interested in tracking these storms. I discovered this site not that long after in early 2009 (I believe it was due to Googling a Depression in the South Hemisphere). I lurked in this site for a few years before finally having the courage to join it in 2012, during Hurricane Isaac.
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#32 Postby Stormybajan » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:09 pm

10 years old, after Tomas hit Barbados, kind of fell off 2013 and 2014, in 2015 got back on the hurricane train and since 2016 I have been HOOKED on the Hurricane season
0 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#33 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:52 pm

vbhoutex wrote:My first real memory of weather and hurricanes was at around 4 years old in 1955 when I would run into my parents room to jump under the covers and hide from thunderstorms. The first hurricane I remember is Flossie in 1958 in Gulf Breeze, FL. And now I am a weather nerd to say the least. IOW I have basically been following weather for 65 years.

After reading through this tonight I realized my year for Flossy was incorrect. So the first Hurricane I remember is Flossy from 1956.
2 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby Sciencerocks » Fri May 06, 2022 1:07 am

9 years old and my first season was the active 1995 season! I use to read the weather channel board in those days and watch the weather channel. John hope was active in those days. I use to also like watching JB back when he was free during the 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 time frame.

I started to post also on boards like gopbi, bobs/jims board and some other places. I was trolling this board since it opened in 2002. :flag: I will say storm2k is literally the best for information and knowledge on the entire internet for the tropics.
3 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri May 06, 2022 10:08 am

I was 5 I think and I remember seeing hail for the first time. It was big enough to dent my parents car and this was in Georgia. I was completely fascinated. How could fridge ice fall out of the sky? Seriously, I thought our fridge had broken and started making the sky rain ice. I remember the storm was bright. It’s one of the only memories I have of my early childhood. In tropical weather, I vaguely recall Patricia. But the first storm I tracked was Irma. From start to finish I tracked Irma. Harvey alerted me to tropical cyclones and Irma hooked me. What an amazing storm.
1 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#36 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Fri May 06, 2022 10:31 am

Well when it comes to the tropics in particular, I basically went from tuning in to TWC's hurricane coverage as a kid (beginning with Dean and Felix back in '07) to vehemently browsing Wikipedia articles on TCs to lurking on and eventually joining online WX-related communities (starting with Jeff Masters' now-defunct Wunderblog). Conducting hours of research on end along with the help of others I have met and befriended online is how I got to where I am now.
0 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby tropicwatch » Fri May 06, 2022 10:38 am

10yrs old, Hurricane Eloise 1975.
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:04 am

I vaguely remember Hurricane Charley in 2004. I was 6 then. I remember Hurricane Dennis and then Rita which impacted my area in 2005. I really became interested in weather and the tropics after Hurricane Ike in 2008. That storm put me in fear of my life because my home's doors were trying to blow in from the wind. I had to hold the doors shut with my mother for almost 5 hours. Ever since, I have been very interested in weather and the tropics in particular.
0 likes   

Stormi
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#39 Postby Stormi » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:21 am

I was 5 engrossed with my dad in tornado alley lol. Now hurricane area.
Now saving for a shelter. Trying to keep enough even before storm season.
0 likes   

TheHurricaneGod
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#40 Postby TheHurricaneGod » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:34 am

Once hurricane Sandy hit in 2012, I became obsessed with tropical cyclones. I was 9 years old at the time, about to turn 10 a few weeks later. Now, as a 19 year old who lives in S FL part time, I am a little worried about this year. Shuttered the house a few days ago and went back to Delaware for the summer.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”