A Virus called "WTC Survivor"!

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Skywatch_NC
Category 5
Category 5

A Virus called "WTC Survivor"!

#1 Postby Skywatch_NC » Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:19 pm

Got this in an e-mail forward from Streetsoldier today:

During the next several weeks be VERY cautious about opening or launching any e-mails that refer to the World Trade Center or 9/11 in any way, regardless of who sent it. PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW, "WTC" STANDS FOR THE WORLD TRADE CENTER. REALLY DANGEROUS BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL OPEN IT RIGHT AWAY, THINKING IT'S A STORY RELATING TO 9/11! BIGGGG TROUBLE!!!! DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor" it is a virus that will erase your whole "C" drive. It will come to you in the form of an E-mail from a familiar person. I repeat, a friend sent it to me, but called and warned me before I opened it. He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer! Forward this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not at all. So, if you receive an e-mail called "WTC Survivor", do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.dll files) from your computer. PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE.

My Dad said that he will update our Norton Anti-virus and Firewall system!
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Stormsfury » Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:39 pm

Thanks Eric ... I spread the word over at a couple of other forums as a warning ...
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#3 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:39 pm

I couldnt even open that file...my OE6 is protected from such attachments in the first place...but good to know about the heads up!
0 likes   

Skywatch_NC
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Skywatch_NC » Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:44 pm

I spread the news about it over at WxChat.com, also!
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Stormsfury » Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:46 pm

Good deal, Eric ... I posted this over at WWBB, Weatherforums, and WidreMann's Forums ...
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#6 Postby pojo » Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:46 pm

sky...I got that too...and I immediately forwarded it to everyone in my address book.

I've already had a worm happen to me...and it crashed the hard drive on my dad's computer...bad enough that he had to reinstall everything (even Microsoft 98!). The computer never ran the same way again. The worm that victimized me; attached itself to our word document files and then used an email address (that I didn't even know I had) and sent it out to everyone...EVEN the president of our bank (whom I don't even know!) When we got a call from the bank saying that I had sent a worm to them, we immediately cleaned the computer out. My dad luckily had proof that I didn't have that email address (that sent the worm out) to show the bank. (He writes all usernames and passwords down on a separate sheet...that way we can look up our passwords if we need to.) Then they finally believed us. I had to warn everyone about the problem before it got out of hand. So, I sent out a massive email to everyone that I knew and told them not to open anything that wasn't from my current email address. If it looks suspious, I told them not to open it. Needless to say, it was a horrible time coping with the effects of the worm that struck our computer. Don't go through it if you don't have to! It sucked!!!
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7 Postby cycloneye » Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:49 pm

Wonder if my comp crash last month was due to that but Eric thanks for the heads up bro and sharing it with us.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

hmmm

#8 Postby JQ Public » Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up sky :)
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby chadtm80 » Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:20 pm

Thaks :wink:
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

Just got wind of this ...

#10 Postby Stormsfury » Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:21 am

0 likes   

ColdFront77

#11 Postby ColdFront77 » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:24 am

Thank you Eric and Bill. 8) Good luck everyone. :)

I have never gotten a virus and have a firewall, hopefully nothing happens.
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#12 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:34 am

lol I see someone has been dipping their hands into the snopes site again! :roll:
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

hmmm

#13 Postby JQ Public » Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:07 pm

Wait so is snopes a gag siteE? I am confused. haha is it a virus or not?
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#14 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:14 pm

yeah snopes is notorius for hoaxes and Urban Legend material...it is definitely a hoax. I've surfed that site alot...and shouldve let everyone know that sooner, but I didnt even get to open the mail I got since I have a high security.
0 likes   

Skywatch_NC
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Skywatch_NC » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:54 pm

Yes, last night my Dad and I investigated this "WTC Survivor" Virus on a few sites and it is indeed listed as a hoax! Sorry for the undo stress this may have caused anyone...but you never know with the world situation that we are now in. Anyway...we did get our anti-virus system updated last night!

Eric
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#16 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:59 pm

Better safe than sorry in any event! I got one today and it had an attachment...wanted me to load the best possible freeware alternative so these 'worms' and latest viruses dont attack my server and mail....files etc! lol Who the hell are these spammers? I'm glad I have high security on these bogus emails.
0 likes   

Rainband

#17 Postby Rainband » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:06 pm

Thanks for the heads up anyway, better to be safe then sorry :wink:
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”