Iraq moving scud launchers near mosques

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Iraq moving scud launchers near mosques

#1 Postby cycloneye » Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:50 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/02/11/sprj.i ... index.html

They are putting those launches near hospitals and mosques as they think that those wont be attacked.Ummmm they still have some scuds to throw at Israel I think 20.

Also the republican guard are ringing the city of Bagdad and apparently what they want is for the US to go and fight urban warfare and that can yield casualties but hopefully no lifes are lost in the american side.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Rainband

#2 Postby Rainband » Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:56 pm

They are cowards and thats why they won't fight us in the open. Also using hospitals and mosques for cover is just more proof that they are cowards. They will sacrafice their entire civilian population IMHO to keep the U.S. from toppling Saddam.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:02 pm

Yes agree rainband that the goverment of Saddam are cowards but I am worried about the inocent mothers and children there that may die in a war by colateral damage as the republican guard are in the citie.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Rainband

#4 Postby Rainband » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:09 pm

Unfortunately, some if not most of the people of Iraq would cut our throats given the chance. They are brain-washed by Saddam and think the American people hate them. I hope that the ones that don't kill Saddam before too many "innocent" civilians die. I just remember all the demonstrations against the U.S. and thats why I feel this way :wink:
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#5 Postby cycloneye » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:24 pm

The best thing that can happen at this point for Iraq to avoid a war are 2 things and those are Saddam leaving Iraq in excile and the second is if someone close to him puts a bullet in Saddam's head and another on his son who is like him or worse.
0 likes   

Rainband

#6 Postby Rainband » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:27 pm

I agree, lets hope somebody gets gutsy :wink:
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#7 Postby streetsoldier » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:57 pm

It wouldn't be the first time; Saddam got where he is by assassinating everyone in the Ba'ath Party that could have opposed him...

Frankly, I think the best people to get the job done would be Mossad (Israel covert ops)...they have more reason than we have, and a long history of success against unbelievable odds.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

Target locatio does not matter

#8 Postby Derek Ortt » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:59 pm

In our last major was against Serbia in 1999, we were bombing numerous targets every night that had human shields. The Iraqis should have learned that their unarmed bodies do not stop American and British bombs.

During the Kosovo War, we were sending more than 500 planes per night at Belgrade, bombing anything that stood, similar to WW2. That's how we won the war, by bombing the people, the people then had enough of the war and demanded Molosevic to accept the unconditional surrender. If we do the same here, we will get the same with Iraq, possibly without ground troops. But we cannot be squeemish about civilian deaths, just as we did not care during Kosovo
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#9 Postby streetsoldier » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:06 pm

Wrong, Derek...we had specific targets even then; unlike WW II, we don't "saturate bomb" anymore.

We hit "Milosonofabitch" where it counted....electricity, water works, communications facilities, supply routes (foodstuffs), military barracks, fire stations, etc., and effectively closed the Danube to water-borne relief.

Remove the WILL to fight on...that was, and still is the key.

Indiscriminate bombing is not "policy".
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby mf_dolphin » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:08 pm

12 years ago Iraq tried traditional defenses against our air forces to no avail. His tanks blew up every day and night like popcorn. The advances in our weaponry in the last 12 years will again make these new tactics just as ineffective. While it is inevitable that there will be some colleteral damage, I'm sure that our military will make every effort to minimize the loss of life of the "innocents". This is innocent loss of life is what makes war so abhorent. That's the way it should be.....
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby JQ Public » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:19 pm

They are cowards and thats why they won't fight us in the open.

hmmm...although they are hiding we are not really fighting in the open when most of our fighting is done by flying over and bombing. Innocent people are not just collatoral damage ;)
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

I was unclear in my post

#12 Postby Derek Ortt » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:43 pm

I was a bit unclear in my post. While there was not the lining up of B 52's, we did not refrain from bombing, especially in that final month of the war, targets that had civilian shields. I remember the Yogu factory bombing where 130 workers remained in the factory over night in the hopes of preventing a bombing raid, but we still bombed them (either US or Britian). We should not allow human shields to prevent us from carrying out the encessary mission
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#13 Postby streetsoldier » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:09 pm

Understood, Derek; I was in USAF, and called in air strikes in a certain nameless SE Asian country back in the "pre-PC" age.

Our Rangers on the ground in Mogadishu learned that the hard way, too...the bastards have NO respect for human life at all (not even their women and children), and we need to understand that.

Thanks for the clarification.
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby JQ Public » Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:18 pm

stay safe soldiers.
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#15 Postby streetsoldier » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:20 pm

Iraq NOW says it "has no weapons capable of hitting Israel, and will not attack them"...

I'll believe that when I see Saddam's Military Council celebrating Seder...LOL :wink:
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby mf_dolphin » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:36 pm

Refresh my memory... what are the OTHER two great lies?
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#17 Postby streetsoldier » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:42 pm

"Iraq is in total compliance, all pertinent information has been suplied to the UN in our documents, and we have destroyed all our weapons-grade stockpiles"...

"Iraq is not in violation of UN human rights parameters, and the U.S. and U.K are lying to the world...the evidence provided was a doctored, Hollywood fabrication".

There are more, but that will do to fill the "three count".
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”