Germany Sees End to Deadlock Over Iraq

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Rob-TheStormChaser

Germany Sees End to Deadlock Over Iraq

#1 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:03 am

Germany signaled Thursday that its bitter dispute with the United States over starting NATO's defensive preparations for an Iraq war could end as early as Saturday, but it was unclear whether holdouts France and Belgium would go along.

After a month of resistance, the three European nations say they will only consider the start of NATO planning to defend Turkey after a U.N. meeting on Friday, when weapons inspectors are due to present their latest report on Iraq's cooperation.

Germany, France and Belgium have held out for four weeks against the U.S.-backed request to send AWACS surveillance planes, Patriot missiles and biochemical units to protect Turkey against any Iraqi counterstrike.

They maintain that starting military planning now is premature and could undercut U.N. efforts to resolve the Iraq crisis peacefully.

NATO officials reacted with caution to Struck's comments.

They said no meeting had yet been scheduled for Saturday and repeated the view of the United States and 15 other allies that planning to help Turkey should start as soon as possible.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby mf_dolphin » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:12 am

I think a good swift lick in the ass is in order for all three of the holdouts. :grab:
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#3 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:16 am

No doubt...I just dont get why they arent going along this time. Besides, they shouldnt worry that those countries will attack them, they have their own forces as well. They just think we start too much turmoil and they dont want in for fears they'll be shafted down the road for exports etc. i hope they get their act together...we need all of NATO in on this one.
0 likes   

bfez1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Meraux--10 mi E of New Orleans-totally destroyed by Katrina

#4 Postby bfez1 » Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:49 am

MF, here, use my boot
Now give em a good,swift kick in the _ss from all of us here at storm2k :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 likes   

JCooper
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5 Postby JCooper » Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:50 am

What we should do is pull all of our troops out of Germany.. Hell I guess they are not worried we have several bases in Germany.
0 likes   

stormraiser
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby stormraiser » Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:31 pm

Thanks for the offer Bfez, but I would like to personally get a few good kicks in myself. :p

bfez1 wrote:MF, here, use my boot
Now give em a good,swift kick in the _ss from all of us here at storm2k :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#7 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:20 pm

I was stationed over there in Germany 3 years and we got called up for the Gulf War in November of 1990 from there. There's plenty of bases over there and that country resembles my hometown here in PA or NY almost to the T...except much cleaner and prettier. I am pretty sure a few bases including the one I was at have now folded and packed up...I'm not sure if anymore will leave, but they should still have a good number of troops there for any reason...including deployment for war.
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#8 Postby streetsoldier » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:11 pm

News Flash...

ROMANIA has offered us use of their bases, and their own military for non-combat deployment (guess this means "humanitarian, after-the-fact"); Poland's offer is also on the table, and Ukraine (?!!!) wants a piece of our "action", too...

"Grossdeutschland" is waking up to the fact that they are being left behind, and they don't LIKE it...as to the French, "let them eat $#!+". Ditto for the Belgians, in both Walloon French and Flemish!
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#9 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:14 pm

lol no doubt! Seems like they just want to remain a unified Deutchland and spend their marks without the currency exchanging! Bunch of Svinehundts!
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”