Have any of you ever purchased a puppy from a pet store?

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#21 Postby O Town » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:10 pm

Well I am so happy you got the dog you wanted cajungal. Glad it has worked out for your family. :D :D

On the note of a shelter dog, I agree that one should try to resue before buying. My mom went through the same thing as cajungal her daushand had died, and when it was time for them to get another dog no other breed would do. I tried to convince her other wise but she just had to have another wiener dog. She was in love with that breed as well. She also tried to resue one and was unable to find one without alot of medical needs. So low and behold they found a litter and brought home 2, 2 girls. My dog was not from a shelter but from a friend who could not keep her due to rules from the new landlord, she was just a pup and she is a mixed breed, and the best dog I think I have ever owned. If I do end up getting another dog, it will be from the shelter. The problem I will have is trying to decide which dog to bring home and which to leave at the shelter with a chance they will never get a home. I really hate going into those places, you just feel horrible about all those animals who have been abandoned. At any rate I am glad cajungal got her new little puppy, I am sure she will fill your hearts with love. Enjoy!
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby JenBayles » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:12 am

We rescued all 3 of of our mutts. Two from the side of the road and one from the Houston SPCA. I'm convinced: I'll always have rescue animals. Yes, there were medical problems with the roadside dogs, one fairly severe, but Dave and I looked at it as saving a life and there's a lot of satisfaction in that.

As for worrying about mental trauma going through the shelters in search of your animal companion, yes, it can be difficult. But remember, even if you can't save all of them, saving just one is so very rewarding.

Whether mutt or purebred, the best thing you can do as an owner is research the breed and look for personality characteristics that will work for your household. That cute, hyper little puppy can grow up and become an 80-pound missile if not trained properly and ultimately banished from the house. Always remember that dogs are pack animals, and you, the human, are now part of the pack. All kinds of behavior problems develop in unsocialized dogs left to their own devices.

<stands down from soapbox> :lol:
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”