Greed will make you do this.....

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

LaPlaceFF
Category 5
Category 5

Greed will make you do this.....

#1 Postby LaPlaceFF » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:41 pm

RAVENNA, Ohio - A man facing a big bill because he had blown the engine in his 1997 BMW decided to bury his car instead and collect $20,000 from his insurance company by claiming it was stolen.

Matthew Mueller rented a backhoe in October 2002 and buried the car on property owned by his father in rural northeast Ohio.

Police received tips last year and excavated the vehicle.

Mueller, 35, of Akron, was sentenced to a year in prison for insurance fraud, tampering with evidence, falsification and receiving stolen property.

He apologized in Portage County Common Pleas Court on Tuesday and paid restitution to Progressive Insurance along with $15,500 to state officials for their costs digging up the vehicle.

"It was stupidity and completely out of character," he said. "I broke the law and I tried to conceal it."

And here is another story....

COLUMBIA, S.C. - Police arrested a man accused of faking his death more than 25 years ago to avoid paying child support.

Johnny Sterling Martin, 58, had a relative call Family Court in 1979 and report that he died during a bar fight in Alabama, authorities said. That call came a few months after he escaped from a work detail while serving a one-year jail term for failing to pay $4,120 in support for two children.

He was captured Tuesday and jailed, and now owes more than $30,000 in child support and faces an escape charge, authorities said.

"Johnny Martin is the ultimate deadbeat dad, faking his own death to avoid paying money to support his young children who were living in Lexington County," Sheriff James Metts said.

Martin has been living in Myrtle Beach, about 150 miles away, and had been using his real name for about 20 years, investigators. He has been married four times — twice since his disappearance — and has a third child, sheriff's Maj. John Allard said.

The investigation was reopened last week when police got a tip from one of Martin's ex-wives that he was alive and living in Myrtle Beach. A fingerprint analysis confirmed Martin's identity, investigators said.

They are working to identify the caller who told family court Martin was dead.
0 likes   

arkess7
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby arkess7 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:56 pm

geez :roll:
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby alicia-w » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:59 pm

I know a guy who shoved his car off a bridge and filed an insurance claim, saying it was stolen. His fraud was not discovered.
0 likes   

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby TexasStooge » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:00 pm

What people will do for money. :lol: :roll:
0 likes   
Weather Enthusiast since 1991.
- Facebook
- Twitter

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby x-y-no » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:07 pm

Oh, my ...

That first story just brought to mind a certain youthful indiscretion of mine I had literally completely forgotten.

Great. Now I owe another amends. :oops: And I don't even know who I owe it to ...

(time to call my sponsor) :lol:
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby O Town » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:13 pm

The first one does sound tempting doesn't it? :lol: They 2nd one is a just scum bag of the earth idea. Claim your dead and forget your children??? That is lower than low.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#7 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:42 pm

O Town wrote:The first one does sound tempting doesn't it? :lol: They 2nd one is a just scum bag of the earth idea. Claim your dead and forget your children??? That is lower than low.

Uh, we are not allowed to use the words I would use to describe this scum.
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby LSU2001 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:49 pm

x-y-no wrote:Oh, my ...

That first story just brought to mind a certain youthful indiscretion of mine I had literally completely forgotten.

Great. Now I owe another amends. :oops: And I don't even know who I owe it to ...

(time to call my sponsor) :lol:

It really sucks when the "more will be reveled" part comes true. :lol: :lol:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Off Topic”