How do we make S2K better?

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#61 Postby JonathanBelles » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:40 am

When I was reading, BB's post an idea hit me. Why cant S2k put out official discussions? We have numerous ProMets and many knowledgeable people that could formulate a discussion of what they think. I know many of us do that already. Why not make it a bigger event. Like BB says, why not go Bigger and Better! We could set up a format that is different to the NHC. Other sites do it, why cant we? I love doing forecasts, but I don't have the resources. We could create maps and put out the information on a "portal" like page. I like looking at all of the forecasts, and one being done by all of S2K would a forecast to be reckoned with. They say two heads are better than one, well we have a lot more than two heads, why not use them?
0 likes   

Berwick Bay

Re: How do we make S2K better?

#62 Postby Berwick Bay » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:49 am

Thats right Fact, and pretty much in accord with my post. We have a "group" of degreed mets. They could be the nucleus of a "tropical outlook" as you suggested. Now along with this, there would be a "tie-in" to the official info posted by the NHC. We obviously wouldn't want to compete with the NHC. But look, Accuweather is putting out their own views and comments on official info. Why sholuld they be the only one's to fill that slot? And this board as at its base a large pool of interested amateurs and observers all along the East and Gulf coasts. Seems to me that (with money of course) you could build something really powerful here. Mets would have to be paid, It would take sponsorship and donations (from foundations, and the like). But I think it could be done. If you've got the vision.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#63 Postby x-y-no » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:14 am

Berwick Bay wrote:Seems to me that (with money of course) you could build something really powerful here. Mets would have to be paid, It would take sponsorship and donations (from foundations, and the like). But I think it could be done. If you've got the vision.

There's the rub.

This is a very different model from the contribution-supported all volunteer model we have now.
0 likes   

Berwick Bay

#64 Postby Berwick Bay » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:34 pm

I know xy. One thing you need to look at. Just think what you guys have built already. Look at the complexity and overview of tropical weather that you guys offer, also including the off-topic forum as a service to your members, helping to build a community. Perhaps you could go with some kind of pyramidal type structure with forums based on volunteer membership, but then higher up the pyramid a more serious"tropical weather outlook" based on sponsorship and donations. Perhaps linking up with a "big donor" or sponsor to help get it off the ground. I also think that if you started something semi-official then you might get many of the "little guys" who make up the forum to donate, and that you might begin to add new members. But XY maybe y'all have already thought of these things and know what the obstacles are. I'll let it go at that.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#65 Postby Derek Ortt » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:25 am

the idea of Berwick Bay would require S2K to pay fairly hgih salaries to the mets (in excess of 50K per year).

It would also require some mets to potentially stop contributing as they have jobs elsewhere
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#66 Postby Derek Ortt » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:35 am

I would like to see a civics forum started, where current news could be debated. I would like it to not be political (meaning back up your position with facts, not talking points on how the situation would help out a particular party.

This would give the people like myself and others the chance to debate the issues of the day, including war, while those that do not want to be subjected to this can avoid it
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#67 Postby mf_dolphin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:15 am

At one point in our history we did have a team that issued forecasts but we discontinued that so we would not be seen as being in conflict with the NHC. We see our primary role is in helping people get the information they need to be ready for a storm when it threatens. Our ProMets do a wonderful job of helping to explain what's going on in layman's terms which helps all of us understand the unique situation for each storm. I know I really have no desire to turn S2K into any kind of commercial enterprise. We're a board founded by members for our members and I hope it stays that way for a long time. :-)
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#68 Postby streetsoldier » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:30 pm

Hire some SERVING WENCHES.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#69 Postby Stephanie » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:34 pm

streetsoldier wrote:Hire some SERVING WENCHES.

:lol:

You WOULD say that, wouldn't you??
0 likes   

olddude
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#70 Postby olddude » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:30 am

mf_dolphin wrote: Our ProMets do a wonderful job of helping to explain what's going on in layman's terms which helps all of us understand the unique situation for each storm.

It is in this vane that I would like to suggest a glossary of some form that could be added as a sticky, preferably in the Talkin' Tropics. The most helpful for me would be an acronym glossary. I have searched the web and come up with many of the acronyms used here but not all. To be honest my most intense use of storm2k is just prior to and during hurricane season. I have learned a great deal but weather is not really a hobby of mine, thus I don't retain all of the lingo as it isn't used on a daily basis. To be able to refresh my memory quickly when reading a post as opposed to chasing about the web would be invaluable to me and I imagine to many other newbie or casual members.
Scott
"Tryin' to reason with hurricane season"
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#71 Postby streetsoldier » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:51 pm

Stephanie wrote:

Hey, I got a rep to uphold! :double:
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#72 Postby Stephanie » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:27 pm

streetsoldier wrote:
Stephanie wrote:

Hey, I got a rep to uphold! :double:

Yes you do! :lol:
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#73 Postby MSRobi911 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:34 pm

My best suggestion, stop all the high school bickering among folks from other boards toward members here! We don't say bad things about them, can we just ignore them?????? Just when they post something snotty, ignore it, don't reply to it....if they post it on "their site" don't go there, don't read it and don't run and tattle to someone that so and so said such and such about them on "another board"...good grief! Grow UP!

After Katrina I stayed out of the Tropical forums because I KNEW things were probably being said that I didn't want to read so therefore, I didn't go in there....it was an easy thing to do, just don't click!

I graduated a long time ago and thought I had left that long behind me!

Mary
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#74 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:54 pm

MSRobi911 wrote:My best suggestion, stop all the high school bickering among folks from other boards toward members here! We don't say bad things about them, can we just ignore them?????? Just when they post something snotty, ignore it, don't reply to it....if they post it on "their site" don't go there, don't read it and don't run and tattle to someone that so and so said such and such about them on "another board"...good grief! Grow UP!

After Katrina I stayed out of the Tropical forums because I KNEW things were probably being said that I didn't want to read so therefore, I didn't go in there....it was an easy thing to do, just don't click!

I graduated a long time ago and thought I had left that long behind me!

Mary

Very good advice Mary. I have a question however. Are you seeing that bickering here and now on S2K? I haven't seen any of it lately and as an admin on this site would surely like to know about it. Of course I don't read every thread here so I easily could have missed it.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#75 Postby Miss Mary » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:38 am

Mary - I could not agree with you more!

I have to ask yet once more, why can't all of these message boards just coexist, side by side if you will, and each become known for a certain atmosphere or vibe (wow that's a wx pun!) and leave it at that?

I want this world to become a nicer place but that's the naive Pollyanna coming out in me and it sounds as if you're this way too. We can all just make it happen ya know - let wx board bashing end. Right now. David - I am in no way referring to anything of recent or even distant, just a general tendancy for wx board communities to compare themselves to others. We should all just - be!

Hope I'm making sense here but I had to agree with you Mary.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#76 Postby Derek Ortt » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:57 pm

another suggestion, please allow html. It makes posting of links easier (and I cannot figure out this BBCode)
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#77 Postby x-y-no » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:47 pm

MSRobi911 wrote:My best suggestion, stop all the high school bickering among folks from other boards toward members here! We don't say bad things about them, can we just ignore them?????? Just when they post something snotty, ignore it, don't reply to it....if they post it on "their site" don't go there, don't read it and don't run and tattle to someone that so and so said such and such about them on "another board"...good grief! Grow UP!

I'm at a loss ... I don't read every thread, but I at least skim through a majority of them and I don't recall seeing any of this (at least not for a very long time.)
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#78 Postby MSRobi911 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:39 pm

Since I answered David in a pm I guess I need to post on here, I believe I was reading the Spam thread about sending out pm's inviting folks to other boards and pointing fingers at others, etc. etc..... Good Grief!

Mary
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#79 Postby wxmann_91 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:52 pm

Here are some suggestions.

I believe there are too many forums. I think we can merge the USA/Winter forums, Wx Attic/Wx Stations, and eliminate the Contest forum (or change it into a wx photography forum). In the tropics section, I think we can merge hurricane preparation with hurricane recovery.

Also, the wx question forum should have some mention that the forum is only for wx-related questions (possibly in the description?).

Just my .02.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#80 Postby MSRobi911 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:20 am

I don't agree with merging the Hurricane Prep and the Recovery Forums.....there is still so much to be done on the MS/LA/AL gulf coast, even after almost two years.

Mary
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”