How do we make S2K better?

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#41 Postby Janie2006 » Thu May 31, 2007 11:25 am

And we have a faux pas.
0 likes   

Rainband

#42 Postby Rainband » Thu May 31, 2007 11:52 am

kevin wrote:This site should be running vBulletin from the amount of money donated. One of the reasons I have never donated to this forum is because I do not trust you all have the technical knack to make it worth while. All I've ever experienced on this forum are error messages. Most of the time during peak times, but now when hardly anyone is on, its absolutely inexcusable. This isn't rocket science.
Kevin, I once thought from reading your posts that you very a very smart young man but after reading this one I change my mind. How rude
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby MSRobi911 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:32 pm

Janie2006 wrote:And we have a faux pas.

You got that right Janie! kevin how dare you cut the owners of a board when you have absolutely no idea what their credentials are. Do you think they just wondered on here four or five years ago and decided oh, that would be a fun thing to do and took over??????? They started this board. As for your not donating, I won't waste my breath, don't take up the space that we that DO DONATE help pay for! We can certainly do without comments such as yours!

I wanted to make this statement as so far it has been Admin and Mods which I think he needs to hear from people that do send in their money that they do not appreciate his comment.

Mary
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby x-y-no » Thu May 31, 2007 12:41 pm

Let's try to get this thread back to the original topic, please. I think the point has been made on all sides.

EDIT:

Just to be clear. I'm not criticizing any comments made nor do I wish to stifle opinion. I just think we should not allow this topic to take over the thread.
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#45 Postby pojo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:13 am

One thing to watch especially in the TT forum is the attacking of members... I know the mods are super busy and they try to stop events like that from happening....but it still does happen.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#46 Postby southerngale » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:08 am

pojo wrote:One thing to watch especially in the TT forum is the attacking of members... I know the mods are super busy and they try to stop events like that from happening....but it still does happen.

We read a lot, but it's impossible for us to read every post, so if you see that happening, please report the post to a mod or admin so we can handle it. We appreciate it when members alert us to possible trouble as we do miss some posts.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby x-y-no » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:14 am

southerngale wrote:
pojo wrote:One thing to watch especially in the TT forum is the attacking of members... I know the mods are super busy and they try to stop events like that from happening....but it still does happen.

We read a lot, but it's impossible for us to read every post, so if you see that happening, please report the post to a mod or admin so we can handle it. We appreciate it when members alert us to possible trouble as we do miss some posts.

Yes, especially in Talkin' Tropics the volume can get huge when there's something brewing.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#48 Postby JonathanBelles » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:22 am

How about a better search system in the member list?
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#49 Postby pojo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:47 pm

x-y-no wrote:
southerngale wrote:

Yes, especially in Talkin' Tropics the volume can get huge when there's something brewing.

What urks me is that people take the Hurricane Hunters forgranted... Its a breach of Operational Security for the plane observations to be released to the public immediately...... People don't understand that.

I sure will watch for attacking members and report if I deem fit.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#50 Postby brunota2003 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:34 pm

Since we are on the subject of reporting, how about a "quick" report button? I'm sure you guys have your own area where you can post about things, and if possible, have it so that the report goes to a general area for all mods to see? That way whoever next gets on, automatically gets the message, versus PMing a mod and hoping they are the next one to get on.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby Stephanie » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:12 pm

That sounds like a good idea brunota.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#52 Postby southerngale » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:24 pm

It is a good idea, but I'd be willing to bet that if this version of phpbb2 supported it, we'd have it. Hopefully, we'll eventually get upgraded to phpbb3 and that will have it. Chad or Marshall would know more about all that though.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#53 Postby JonathanBelles » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:03 pm

I've been trying to think and this is what I have come up with:

1. Maybe we can somehow list our specialty in our profile and have them show up on the forum. Ex. Hurricanes, Winter Weather, UK weather, Tornadoes.

2. maybe a personal blogging system that we could post rain totals and other everyday happenings. With this we could eliminate the Weather Attic and a few threads.

Ill keep thinking.
0 likes   

NepenthesVash
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#54 Postby NepenthesVash » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:50 am

I'd love to see a tornado and severe thunderstorm forum. I'm planning on moving to Texas in August, stormtrack.org's forum is no longer accepting non-chasers, and I like other views than just the official (as in EWX really missed the tornado in Eagle Pass, and I'm moving to San Antonio - I want second opinions beyond EWX and my own on potentially tornadic storms.)
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby artist » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:26 am

NepenthesVash wrote:I'd love to see a tornado and severe thunderstorm forum. I'm planning on moving to Texas in August, stormtrack.org's forum is no longer accepting non-chasers, and I like other views than just the official (as in EWX really missed the tornado in Eagle Pass, and I'm moving to San Antonio - I want second opinions beyond EWX and my own on potentially tornadic storms.)

you can find what I think you are looking for in the USA forum
Here is the link to all the other forums
http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/index.php
and the link to the "USA" forum which covers all weather other than tropical or winter for the US
http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=24
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#56 Postby wx247 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:55 pm

I agree. A forum that is specifically designated for severe weather (ie: flooding, tornadoes, large hail, and high winds) would be very beneficial separate from the USA Weather Discussion.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NepenthesVash
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#57 Postby NepenthesVash » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:33 am

wx247 wrote:I agree. A forum that is specifically designated for severe weather (ie: flooding, tornadoes, large hail, and high winds) would be very beneficial separate from the USA Weather Discussion.

It would be, especially during major outbreaks, if people with qualifications were also allowed to post fcst threads and other important information. While I don't have those qualifications, I'd be very interested in reading forecasts/nowcasts and other collected information.
0 likes   

snoopj
Category 2
Category 2

#58 Postby snoopj » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:28 am

I must be one of the few that come here for the USA Weather Discussion. 90% of the time, I don't read the Talkin' Tropics area because it can get rather fanatic in there. In the USA Weather Discussion forum, I feel like I'm talking to peers and not feel like I'm going to get a retort from someone for the sake of just writing a retort. I've gotten a lot of good information out of that forum and even though my post count isn't exactly high, I do visit that forum subarea at least 2-3 times a day (more during any sort of event).

--snoopj
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby mf_dolphin » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:45 am

A couple of quick comments:
1. We'll take the suggestion for a "Severe Weather Forum" under consideration and should have an answer in a couple of days. :-)
2. A quick report capability is not included in phpBB2 but is in phpBB3. We are currently testing phpBB3 RC1 and have done our first test conversion of our current database. I think you will all find phpBB3 refreshing. Stay tuned for more information. :-)
0 likes   

Berwick Bay

Re: How do we make S2K better?

#60 Postby Berwick Bay » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:21 am

Writing this message on June 17th (on mew server now) so this is an appropriate question, how to get better. Why not think big? Its going to take money, I know. How about this? You guys have established mets as a part of your team. Why not use them as an alternative to the source of "experienced if not official" info during the hurricane season. Accuweather is trying to fit this bill now. Why not challenge? Yes it will take money. But begin to look and see how far you want to take this thing. Merging this type of source for info with a large message board of ordinary users might be the beginning of something powerful. It will take money. I'm not a rich man so I don't know much about these things. But are donations to sites like Storm 2k tax deductible? If not, I think there's reason to think that they could be. (Awareness of issues affecting life and property). Okay, this idea might not work. But I still believe that you need to have a vision. Don't limit yourselves.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”