How do we make S2K better?

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: How do we make S2K better?

#141 Postby streetsoldier » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:03 pm

We need more COWBELL!
0 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#142 Postby GeneratorPower » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:03 pm

I would just like to suggest removing the full page of map, stickies, and reminder threads that are at the top of every single S2K thread list page. I basically have to hit Page Down every time I visit every page because of the massive amount of unnecessary stuff. I don't mind one or two stickies, but honestly the giant map is pointless. We all know what systems are out there, and if we don't, it becomes clear the first time we check in. Nonetheless, we have to be "reminded" by the giant map every single time we load an index page. Then comes the incessant page-down maneouvers.

Second, if you bring up the Active Storms - All Basins index you see about 2 inches devoted to a quick link to the Tropical Analysis forum. Unfortunately, the TA forum is little used and every time I've gone there, the info is outdated. Derek Ortt is the only one I remember using this forum faithfully. My suggestion is to at least remove it from the index at the top of every page.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is I would love it if we could streamline the navigation so we don't have so much in the way to get to the meaty parts of the site. Thanks All!!!
0 likes   

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#143 Postby lrak » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:09 pm

Hmmm...I'll get back with you, right now it rocks.
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#144 Postby Persepone » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:16 am

I think the best thing about Storm2K is that you get "advance warning" of possibilities long before the local media, etc. puts them on the air and that you get many different perspectives. You are not at the mercy of what some specific limited set of sources tell you. You get to read and learn and evaluate for yourself. Yes, this may mean taking in the lawn furniture a few times when it turns out to be unnecessary--but it also has meant not being blind-sided. And the "tips and tricks" you learn on "preparation" forum are helpful or interesting--there is always something you haven't thought of... And as you age or your life changes, your priorities change. I think most people--even those who know little/nothing about weather forecasting can pretty quickly sort out the "wishcasting" from the "scientific." Earl is a case in point. We have a "hurricane warning" on Cape Cod today. The local print media still have not all gotten on board with that--and there is still a great deal of "it's not going to be that bad" on some of the internet sites. Well, I'm not leaving my lawn furniture out... I've pretty much completed my prep. Yeah, it would be nice if it did not come here--but if it does, I will have a lot less misery than people who did nothing. I've never regretted prep. for something that did not materialize, but I'm sure that I would really regret not having prepped for all the weather events that really did happen! Also, as I said somewhere else, as I get older, I need more time to do prep--even though I have gotten a bunch of stuff down to a routine. What took a couple of hours when I was younger I now spread out over a couple of days--it's just easier that way. (The stuff out in the yard seems to get heavier every year--and there seems to be more of it every year).
I'm not sure you should do anything to "change" the board or "make it better." The wide range is interesting in and of itself...
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#145 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:27 pm

Good to see you Persepone!!! I know you'll be safe, but I have to tell you, be safe and take care!! Let us know you are ok as soon as you can after the event.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Gladstone
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#146 Postby Gladstone » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:47 pm

I would suggest not patronizing the lazy and stupid. Just because one can speak/write intelligibly doesn't necessarily mean one is rational.

Here's an audio clip from the son of the guy who invented Lear Jets:
http://itsrainmakingtime.com/2010/johnlear/

The point of this is to remind people there are nuts all around us. An extreme case of course, but there are posters, especially during storms, that come out of the woodwork who have have no business posting.

When I see a "stupid" or "lazy" post....with half a dozen replies; I feel like fleeing this website.

My suggestion is to not be afraid to call a spade a spade. Moderators need stop protecting the "idiots" over the intelligent.

Gladstone
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#147 Postby Aquawind » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:12 pm

:uarrow: Spoken like a true rookie on this weather board..yeah let's just eliminate everything but perfection. What make this board an exception is the fact even an idiot can come up with a good idea and the METS will agree..so if you can't sift through it like the rest of us.. FLEE.. Riiiight it's not that easy and why be rude.
0 likes   

Rainband

Re:

#148 Postby Rainband » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:38 am

Gladstone wrote:I would suggest not patronizing the lazy and stupid. Just because one can speak/write intelligibly doesn't necessarily mean one is rational.

Here's an audio clip from the son of the guy who invented Lear Jets:
http://itsrainmakingtime.com/2010/johnlear/

The point of this is to remind people there are nuts all around us. An extreme case of course, but there are posters, especially during storms, that come out of the woodwork who have have no business posting.

When I see a "stupid" or "lazy" post....with half a dozen replies; I feel like fleeing this website.

My suggestion is to not be afraid to call a spade a spade. Moderators need stop protecting the "idiots" over the intelligent.

Gladstone
speaking as a former moderator on this site. That post is one that I would remove. S2K stands alone because we not only respect the "idiot posters" as you put it but we try and educate them. Everyone started as a novice even the pros. Wow did you read what you posted before you hit post. I am sure many would agree you fall into the category :wink:
0 likes   

summersquall
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#149 Postby summersquall » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:26 pm

I absolutely love storm 2k. I only wish that there were some clear instructions for posting images and loops. I may just be showing my lack of internet forum savvy here and/or have not been able to find the instructions if they are here. Maybe a FAQ section introducing the new member to the nuts and bolts of posting would be helpful.

I have learned a lot over the past few years from everyone who posts. With my mom in Puerto Rico, I am very grateful for the "heads ups" I have been able to share with her.
0 likes   
My posts should NEVER, EVER, EVER be construed as an official forecast as I know virtually nada respecting the finer points of meteorology. Consequently, my posts are obviously NOT endorsed by any professional institution or the good folks at storm2k.org. For official information please refer to the weather gurus at the NHC and NWS.

Rainband

Re:

#150 Postby Rainband » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:52 pm

summersquall wrote:I absolutely love storm 2k. I only wish that there were some clear instructions for posting images and loops. I may just be showing my lack of internet forum savvy here and/or have not been able to find the instructions if they are here. Maybe a FAQ section introducing the new member to the nuts and bolts of posting would be helpful.

I have learned a lot over the past few years from everyone who posts. With my mom in Puerto Rico, I am very grateful for the "heads ups" I have been able to share with her.
feel free to pm any mod. They will help you with anything. Also that faq idea is a great one. I think there is a thread about posting images and links. you can use the search function to find it.
0 likes   

Rainband

#151 Postby Rainband » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:53 pm

0 likes   

kevin

#152 Postby kevin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:33 am

Thanks!
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#153 Postby JQ Public » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:25 am

It seems like the NE component is lacking in the forums. Perhaps catering to those from all around the states will keep this forum active throughout the 4 seasons.

I don't think anyone from pg 7 of this thread even experiences true winter weather, except maybe the poster from China.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#154 Postby somethingfunny » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:29 am

Jerry Jones wishes we didn't have winter weather here in Dallas. ;)

This board does tend to skew towards southern/southeastern users, but that ought to be expected since the forums are primarily focused on tropical weather. I notice influxes of users from a particular area sticking around after major events. If we ever have another season like 1954, there will be tons of new friends here from the Northeast! The winter threads have been growing here the past few years because people stick around. I stay here in the winter because Storm2K has the biggest and best collection of analysts and enthusiasts from Texas anywhere on the Web, hands down!

I also like the FAQ idea, it's low-investment, high-payoff IMHO.

Edit - I just looked at the top of the page next to Search and Control Panel and found something amazing!!!! :D
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#155 Postby brunota2003 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:30 pm

JQ Public wrote:It seems like the NE component is lacking in the forums. Perhaps catering to those from all around the states will keep this forum active throughout the 4 seasons.

I don't think anyone from pg 7 of this thread even experiences true winter weather, except maybe the poster from China.

We're trying! I have offered to a couple of the NWS forecasters here in Buffalo the chance to jump onboard (and pass the link around)...and I might also pass it along to the college in Oswego, the forums are a great place for mets to start exposure to the public, or a place to start working on presenting things to the public (with criticisms to help out).

I also agree with the top post on this page, we need more cowbell!
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

Re:

#156 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:59 pm

JQ Public wrote:It seems like the NE component is lacking in the forums. Perhaps catering to those from all around the states will keep this forum active throughout the 4 seasons.

Now you have one.

Personally I'd love to see the "United States and Caribbean" forum become the "North American and Caribbean" forum (or something similar) since the U.S.'s major weather comes from both directions and the United States and Canada does share, believe it or not :wink:, one immense continent (I really feel strange posting in the global forum when I am also a North American).
0 likes   

tobol.7uno
Category 1
Category 1

#157 Postby tobol.7uno » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:19 am

A small thing but... I would like to see a new banner. The current banner at the top of the page is sort of boring.
Otherwise I think S2K is great and I have recommended it to everyone on my Facebook page and more. I even added a link to it in my website! Keep up the great work!
0 likes   
My Tropical Weather Website: http://tropwx.com/
I do link exchange, so if you have a website we can share each others links.

lonelymike
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#158 Postby lonelymike » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:32 am

Like to see some of the pro mets post more in the analysis forum...Miss Don Southerland, Derek Ortt and Mike W and others posting..just saying.
0 likes   

GO SEMINOLES

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#159 Postby somethingfunny » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:47 pm

Hmm - has the idea of a Spanish-speaking subforum been floated around? I know we have several great moderators and/or long-time members here who are fluent in both Spanish and English who might be able to moderate the sub-forum, and having a subforum for folks in Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and South America (and of course those who have recently immigrated to the United States) to discuss the weather in their own language would drastically expand the reach of storm2k.org.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

This

#160 Postby Cyclenall » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:32 am

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:Personally I'd love to see the "United States and Caribbean" forum become the "North American and Caribbean" forum (or something similar) since the U.S.'s major weather comes from both directions and the United States and Canada does share, believe it or not :wink:, one immense continent (I really feel strange posting in the global forum when I am also a North American).

:uarrow: THIS. I've been thinking this for years now and I believe it should just be turned into "North America" forum that includes the Caribbean.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”