How do we make S2K better?

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#21 Postby cycloneye » Sat May 26, 2007 5:58 am

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:30 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nonone has to go anywhere,because the ship will not sink,I can assure you that.You may not believe what I am saying,but the sun will shine more brighter than ever in storm2k.

:uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow:

That quote was made by me on April 7th.And what do we breath now? :) A friendly atmosphere,the philosopfy that storm2k has been since it started on October,2002.

MiamiensisWx
S2K Supporter
Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:51 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the games return, I don't believe that there should be limits on posting threads in that forum. That drains the fun from the competition. I believe games should be lively, interactive, and intelligent. Different varieties of quizzes (and other activites) should be implemented. For example, we could have historical, cultural, and meteorological trivia (in addition to other subjects).

I support that idea.But it's up to the admins if they make a Games Forum.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby Stephanie » Sat May 26, 2007 9:35 am

I think that part of the original problem with the Games Forum was that it did get out of hand mainly due to a post count competition amongst the members.

Secondly, there are alot of games that some would like to be able to see everytime they log on instead of searching through the Forum to find it because of some of the other games people would create. Many were slight twists to other games already on there.

Thirdly, I believe that the Games Forum was a drain on our system. We have closed that forum in the past when the board got really busy due to a tropical storm just so we wouldn't totally overload the system. That could be done again.

I would be in favor of a Games Forum, but I believe that there should be limits.

Matthew - if you have proof that the Mods are reading pm's, then please share it with one of us or one of the Admins. If not, you worry about your site and we'll worry about ours.
0 likes   

GulfBreezer
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby GulfBreezer » Sat May 26, 2007 12:02 pm

Maybe my opinion on this will not be very popular but here goes........

If you are posting ANYTHING on the web and you think it is private then think again. Neither mods nor admins are reading PM's here but that does not mean it is not possible. As Chad said, it would take time and effort but it could be done. With that said, owners of this board really have the right to read PM's if deemed necessary. They own this board. Now, as has been said before. If you truly want to make sure any communication between members of this board is private from S2K admins and moderators then use another form of communication. It is quite a simple fix if you are that paranoid. Do not be fooled into thinking that the web is private. All of this hullaballoo about reading PM's in my opinion is just another way to try to cause dissention and it is really quite juvenile. Sorry to keep this part of the topic alive but it is really starting to irritate me. :)
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby JenBayles » Sat May 26, 2007 7:03 pm

:uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow:
Ditto that. :-D
0 likes   

Rainband

#25 Postby Rainband » Sat May 26, 2007 7:35 pm

I agree with Stephanie and Sandi. I barely have time to read all the posts I need to read. With all due respect I resent the accusation and I am sure I am not alone. That being said.... The staff of S2K will continue to work together with the members of S2K. Thats what Makes S2K what it is. :D :D :D
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Category 5 » Sat May 26, 2007 10:46 pm

GulfBreezer wrote:Maybe my opinion on this will not be very popular but here goes........

If you are posting ANYTHING on the web and you think it is private then think again. Neither mods nor admins are reading PM's here but that does not mean it is not possible. As Chad said, it would take time and effort but it could be done. With that said, owners of this board really have the right to read PM's if deemed necessary. They own this board. Now, as has been said before. If you truly want to make sure any communication between members of this board is private from S2K admins and moderators then use another form of communication. It is quite a simple fix if you are that paranoid. Do not be fooled into thinking that the web is private. All of this hullaballoo about reading PM's in my opinion is just another way to try to cause dissention and it is really quite juvenile. Sorry to keep this part of the topic alive but it is really starting to irritate me. :)

Well said
0 likes   

MississippiHurricane
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#27 Postby MississippiHurricane » Sat May 26, 2007 11:42 pm

I have an idea.....I dont know if its possible but here it is: when new members join this forum, is there anyway we could possibly add a reason as to why they would like to join? Also, again if this is possible, view the new members and if warrented decline there membership. I am a member of a sports board and they did this to cut down on spammers, trolls, ect.....

Other than that, I think were good to go! 8-)
0 likes   

NEWeatherguy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#28 Postby NEWeatherguy » Sun May 27, 2007 12:19 am

Misshurricane wrote:I have an idea.....I dont know if its possible but here it is: when new members join this forum, is there anyway we could possibly add a reason as to why they would like to join? Also, again if this is possible, view the new members and if warrented decline there membership. I am a member of a sports board and they did this to cut down on spammers, trolls, ect.....

Good idea, but don't make it impossible (which I don't think you are suggesting either) as one weather-related message board did (denying my membership because I was not "professional enough.") Just make it so that people basically have to know what this board is all about. Also another way is to look at their member name. Some of these are nearly-obvious (if not all the way) obvious spam-providers: i.e. names with triple x's, or odd numbers or letters in the name. On one message board I am a member of they actually put in their profile they sold drugs - legal, but hey, that advertising :lol:. Those are some things to look for.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby Stephanie » Sun May 27, 2007 10:56 am

Believe me NEWeatherguy, we check all of the 'new members" that sign up. Some are bots which aren't active so we can delete them. Unfortunately, there maybe a time when there are no Mods/Admins online so some spammer can get away with posting for a little bit, but not long. Just pm a Mod or Admin as soon as you see one online if there's a spammer present.

Thank you though for the suggestion. ;)
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby x-y-no » Sun May 27, 2007 11:10 am

Misshurricane wrote:I have an idea.....I dont know if its possible but here it is: when new members join this forum, is there anyway we could possibly add a reason as to why they would like to join? Also, again if this is possible, view the new members and if warrented decline there membership. I am a member of a sports board and they did this to cut down on spammers, trolls, ect.....

Yeah, I think the software can be set up to require moderator approval before an account goes active. But there's a downside to that too, since it means some possibly significant delay before a new user gets to participate, and that could discourage new users.

We do delete quite a lot of spambots before they manage to post anything. I've only been doing this for two days and I've already dumped a bunch.
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby Aquawind » Sun May 27, 2007 1:16 pm

I think that part of the original problem with the Games Forum was that it did get out of hand mainly due to a post count competition amongst the members.

Secondly, there are alot of games that some would like to be able to see everytime they log on instead of searching through the Forum to find it because of some of the other games people would create. Many were slight twists to other games already on there.

Thirdly, I believe that the Games Forum was a drain on our system. We have closed that forum in the past when the board got really busy due to a tropical storm just so we wouldn't totally overload the system. That could be done again.

I would be in favor of a Games Forum, but I believe that there should be limits.

Matthew - if you have proof that the Mods are reading pm's, then please share it with one of us or one of the Admins. If not, you worry about your site and we'll worry about ours.

If you are posting ANYTHING on the web and you think it is private then think again. Neither mods nor admins are reading PM's here but that does not mean it is not possible. As Chad said, it would take time and effort but it could be done. With that said, owners of this board really have the right to read PM's if deemed necessary. They own this board. Now, as has been said before. If you truly want to make sure any communication between members of this board is private from S2K admins and moderators then use another form of communication. It is quite a simple fix if you are that paranoid. Do not be fooled into thinking that the web is private. All of this hullaballoo about reading PM's in my opinion is just another way to try to cause dissention and it is really quite juvenile. Sorry to keep this part of the topic alive but it is really starting to irritate me.

Double Ditto.. 8-)

Additionaly unfortuantely when we do get busy durring an event the games board will only tax the server even more because it will pick-up with the additional members as well.. Anything that slows the board durring an event needs to be minimized..we could turn it off during an event I suppose..of course somebody will be unhappy about it either way..
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#32 Postby southerngale » Sun May 27, 2007 1:20 pm

x-y-no wrote:

Yeah, I think the software can be set up to require moderator approval before an account goes active. But there's a downside to that too, since it means some possibly significant delay before a new user gets to participate, and that could discourage new users.

We do delete quite a lot of spambots before they manage to post anything. I've only been doing this for two days and I've already dumped a bunch.

Yep. Also, when there's a tropical system out there, we can get a LOT of new members in one day. The staff is usually already very busy and manually activating all new members when it gets crazy around here, is just about impossible.
0 likes   

lurkey
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby lurkey » Sun May 27, 2007 5:54 pm

Regarding the Games Forum and "post count competition":

Several of the boards I belong to don't allow posts made in the "Games Forum" count towards member's post count. Is there way to do this with current board software?
0 likes   

Jack8631
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby Jack8631 » Mon May 28, 2007 11:54 am

Last edited by Jack8631 on Thu May 31, 2007 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

kevin

#35 Postby kevin » Thu May 31, 2007 6:03 am

This site should be running vBulletin from the amount of money donated. One of the reasons I have never donated to this forum is because I do not trust you all have the technical knack to make it worth while. All I've ever experienced on this forum are error messages. Most of the time during peak times, but now when hardly anyone is on, its absolutely inexcusable. This isn't rocket science.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby mf_dolphin » Thu May 31, 2007 8:05 am

kevin wrote:This site should be running vBulletin from the amount of money donated. One of the reasons I have never donated to this forum is because I do not trust you all have the technical knack to make it worth while. All I've ever experienced on this forum are error messages. Most of the time during peak times, but now when hardly anyone is on, its absolutely inexcusable. This isn't rocket science.

I'm be happy to post my technical credentials anytime you'd like and why don't you do the same. ;-) You don't support the site but you obviously use it is since you have 4000 posts.
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby chadtm80 » Thu May 31, 2007 8:25 am

kevin wrote:This site should be running vBulletin from the amount of money donated. One of the reasons I have never donated to this forum is because I do not trust you all have the technical knack to make it worth while. All I've ever experienced on this forum are error messages. Most of the time during peak times, but now when hardly anyone is on, its absolutely inexcusable. This isn't rocket science.

I would respond, but I am to stu, stu, stupid to understand what you said :-)
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#38 Postby CajunMama » Thu May 31, 2007 8:34 am

Those who use something for free are the biggest complainers. I can't believe you had the gall to say this when you don't donate. That's a slap in the face to all who do donate and those of us who work so damn hard as a volunteer on here. And how much downtime has there been for you to have posted almost 4100 times? Couldn't have been too often. :wink:
0 likes   

GulfBreezer
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby GulfBreezer » Thu May 31, 2007 9:22 am

And you know how much $$ is donated how?????????? That was probably the most ludicrous post I have EVER seen on this board and I have seen quite a few...........I can't even respond the way I want to or I would have to ban myself for breaking the S2K rules of engagement :)

For someone who has over 4,000 posts, you sure do have a lot of hutzpah to even hit 'submit' when you typed that post. I would be thoroughly embarassed if I were you.

Chad, it's ok buddy. Stu Stu Stu pid is as stupid does :) :) :)
0 likes   

BreinLa
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#40 Postby BreinLa » Thu May 31, 2007 9:52 am

Well I have held back responding to this &*() what Mama and Gulf said will take care of my response
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”