How do we make S2K better?

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Downdraft
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: How do we make S2K better?

#101 Postby Downdraft » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:55 pm

Recently there have been some super sensitive and touchy threads. One specifically involved politics to such an extent that it was impossible not to keep political discussion out of it. Of course I'm referring to the Proenza mess. Today two other posts have caused flame to fly but the really offensive posts have been quickly deleted. I compliment the staff for their diligence and for allowing free debate to thrive.
0 likes   

opera ghost
Category 4
Category 4

#102 Postby opera ghost » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:22 am

I'm actually a lot more comfortable coming back to S2K with the politics gone. Might have come back more quickly if I'd realized it had been moderated heavily, aside from my difficulties getting my account reactivated after Rita. This wasn't a very comfortable place to be if you had strong political opinions that clashed with the majority (and I did. Oh boy did I... and I didn't know how to keep my mouth shut either.)

My only suggestion would have been to make the other tropics forums more easily accessible from the active storms page, but I noticed a new link to the pro met discussions just this week, so you're a step ahead of me already. (might have been there, but I don't remember it)

All in all I like the recent changes, keep it up! :wink:
0 likes   

arkess7
Category 5
Category 5

#103 Postby arkess7 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:44 pm

i think yall have done awesome since ive been offline for about a year :)
keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glad 2 b back!!!! 8-) :D :flag:
0 likes   

PhillyWX
Category 1
Category 1

#104 Postby PhillyWX » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:34 am

I don't know if it's ever been suggested but would you consider merging USA and winter weather together into just 'weather discussion'? There can be some crossover in weather (especially Fall/Spring storms) that can go in both forums. Might make it easier for people and perhaps increase posts in the non-tropical parts of the forums.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#105 Postby Stephanie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:53 pm

Downdraft wrote:Recently there have been some super sensitive and touchy threads. One specifically involved politics to such an extent that it was impossible not to keep political discussion out of it. Of course I'm referring to the Proenza mess. Today two other posts have caused flame to fly but the really offensive posts have been quickly deleted. I compliment the staff for their diligence and for allowing free debate to thrive.

Just as a reminder, the staff REALLY DOES appreciate the member's help when we are alerted to a potential problem. Please use the report post feature (!) and/or pm one of us that is online when there you see something happening. :D
0 likes   

Terrell
Category 2
Category 2

#106 Postby Terrell » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:48 pm

If it hasn't been already suggested a multi-quote feature would be nice.
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#107 Postby streetsoldier » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:47 pm

More SERVING WENCHES.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#108 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:48 pm

restrictions on wishcasting like we had 3 years ago. I remember then, it was not tolerated, but the restrictions, IMO, has become a little more (I'd even tolerate posts like those from PAUK on the old GOPBI... his wishcasts wer nothing like some of the current ones)
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#109 Postby Category 5 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:08 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:restrictions on wishcasting like we had 3 years ago. I remember then, it was not tolerated, but the restrictions, IMO, has become a little more (I'd even tolerate posts like those from PAUK on the old GOPBI... his wishcasts wer nothing like some of the current ones)

I second that.
0 likes   

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#110 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:53 pm

I agree. Every time a storm has threaten to form these past two seasons, suddenly people would start posting threads like: "GOM is doomed!". This frightened people, and lead to some confrontations. If users can not act responsibly, than the above practice should be reinstated next year.
0 likes   

wyq614
Category 3
Category 3
Location: Beijing, China (Hometown: Qingdao, China, 36.06N 120.43E)

#111 Postby wyq614 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:12 am

很抱歉地通知各位网友,用中国的网络有时无法打开S2K,不得不用代理服务器。我基本肯定,这不是政府封闭网站所致。希望斑竹们检查一下这到底是什么问题。谢谢。

I'm sorry to inform you that using Chinese IP, sometimes I cannot log on to Storm 2k. The respond was "you don't have the permission to ...". I'm sure that it is not due to censorship or IP-blocking, I hope that our administrators could check out the problem. Thanks!
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#112 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:52 pm

wyq614 wrote:很抱歉地通知各位网友,用中国的网络有时无法打开S2K,不得不用代理服务器。我基本肯定,这不是政府封闭网站所致。希望斑竹们检查一下这到底是什么问题。谢谢。

I'm sorry to inform you that using Chinese IP, sometimes I cannot log on to Storm 2k. The respond was "you don't have the permission to ...". I'm sure that it is not due to censorship or IP-blocking, I hope that our administrators could check out the problem. Thanks!

We'll check and see if there is anything that can be done.
0 likes   

Coredesat

#113 Postby Coredesat » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:58 pm

I'd like to reiterate the "no wishcasting" pleas from above - apparently they've gone unanswered, and wishcasters (for example, Matt) have become hostile to the people who have been telling them to stop. It was worst in the Mediterranean thread a couple months ago, and has gotten bad in the 95L thread (which needs archiving, 95L has been gone). I have been wondering if this is intentional, as there's absolutely no consistency in dealing with this - the wishcasting tends to be worse when the boards are slow (in terms of activity). There should be no exceptions to the rules.

Also, the "no political posts" rule in Global Weather is not being enforced. In fact, since political posting is against the rules in all forums, I think the "Vote Bush!" smiley should be removed. The "Vote Kerry!" one was removed a while ago, and there is no reason to keep the "Vote Bush!" one (unless this forum wants to appear to have a major political bias) - Bush can't run again anyway.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re:

#114 Postby southerngale » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:28 am

Coredesat wrote:I'd like to reiterate the "no wishcasting" pleas from above - apparently they've gone unanswered, and wishcasters (for example, Matt) have become hostile to the people who have been telling them to stop. It was worst in the Mediterranean thread a couple months ago, and has gotten bad in the 95L thread (which needs archiving, 95L has been gone). I have been wondering if this is intentional, as there's absolutely no consistency in dealing with this - the wishcasting tends to be worse when the boards are slow (in terms of activity). There should be no exceptions to the rules.

Also, the "no political posts" rule in Global Weather is not being enforced. In fact, since political posting is against the rules in all forums, I think the "Vote Bush!" smiley should be removed. The "Vote Kerry!" one was removed a while ago, and there is no reason to keep the "Vote Bush!" one (unless this forum wants to appear to have a major political bias) - Bush can't run again anyway.

You're right... there's no consistency in dealing with wishcasting. It's not black and white and is dealt with on a case by case basis, if it needs to be at all. You can't just ban people for thinking (or hoping) that a storm will come their way. If you see a post that is out of line or against the rules, use the report button and we'll check it out.

Ditto as above... if you see a political post, report it. The staff doesn't have time to read every post, so we have always asked that the members report posts that violate our rules, and even questionable ones that you're not sure about. We'll check it out.

As for the "Vote Kerry" and "Vote Bush" buttons... I know for a fact that Chad didn't mean to leave the Bush one there and only remove the Kerry one. He started replacing the smilies, but didn't get very far before life outside of s2k took priority. We laughed about both of them still being there as we hadn't really noticed, since nobody ever used them, but we thought they should be removed. I spent a lot of time finding new smilies for the site, but he hasn't gotten around to replacing the existing ones. That's the only reason the Bush one is still there. It wasn't intentional. Like you said, it's not like anyone can vote for him again anyway. There's no political bias either... there are members and staff on both sides of the fence.
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#115 Postby Chacor » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:05 am

How far does no politics go? Only US politics?
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#116 Postby Stephanie » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:43 pm

Chacor wrote:How far does no politics go? Only US politics?

No, it includes all politics.
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#117 Postby Cyclenall » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:16 am

The spellcheck feature should be installed, that would be great.
0 likes   

Cryomaniac
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#118 Postby Cryomaniac » Mon May 05, 2008 10:33 am

Cyclenall wrote:The spellcheck feature should be installed, that would be great.

Can you not just use a browser spell check?
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#119 Postby Cyclenall » Mon May 05, 2008 4:48 pm

Cryomaniac wrote:
Cyclenall wrote:The spellcheck feature should be installed, that would be great.

Can you not just use a browser spell check?

I already do but it sucks. It's much better if the spell check function was just built in like it used to be.
0 likes   

Cryomaniac
Category 5
Category 5

#120 Postby Cryomaniac » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:07 am

Could we have the storm names in the active storm list link to the thread about that storm?
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”