Hurricane FELIX: Caribbean-Discussions

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Buck
Category 5
Category 5

#1681 Postby Buck » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:47 pm

I must say, I'm a bit angry with the big news stations for not reporting on Felix like they should be. If it's not threatening the US or the US' favorite vacation spots, they aren't nearly as concerned. It's all so frustrating. :x
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#1682 Postby HURAKAN » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:11 pm

Buck wrote:I must say, I'm a bit angry with the big news stations for not reporting on Felix like they should be. If it's not threatening the US or the US' favorite vacation spots, they aren't nearly as concerned. It's all so frustrating. :x

I always get angry when they just cover the touristic places anf not the poor places where we know it's where the cyclone will most likely hit.
0 likes   

jhamps10
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#1683 Postby jhamps10 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:13 pm

Buck wrote:I must say, I'm a bit angry with the big news stations for not reporting on Felix like they should be. If it's not threatening the US or the US' favorite vacation spots, they aren't nearly as concerned. It's all so frustrating. :x

one of our local stations had Felix as the top story this morning, in fact updates every 20 minutes on it, of course maybe because one of the web producers who is very popular to this stations blog site was in Honduras on a scuba diving trip, and was trying to get out.
0 likes   

dwg71
Category 5
Category 5

#1684 Postby dwg71 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:20 pm

This is venturing way off topic, but if it doesnt effect the US or US interest (vacation spots,business, etc) its not news that should be covered in depth (imo).

There are tropical cyclones all over the world, that dont get mention on US news channels.
0 likes   

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#1685 Postby baygirl_1 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:26 pm

AJC3 wrote:
Another point to be made here is that, according to NWS directives, a hurricane or TS warning for coastal locations does not cover inland sections of the counties those coastal locations lie within. If hurricane conditions are expected inland (which has been the case in ECFL every single time since this policy has been in place) then an "Inland Hurricane/TS Warning" must also be issued for the county as well.

While I can see the occasional case where a recurving storm would keep hurricane/TS force winds confined to the coast, personally I think at least part of the general public would find this confusing, or at the very least redundant in the headlines of the zone forecasts.

...HURRICANE WARNING...
...INLAND HURRICANE WARNING...

...HURRICANE WARNING...
...INLAND TROPICAL STORM WARNING....

This would be especially true during a hurricane, since if there was a warning in place for the coast, I can't ever fathom NOT having, at the very least, an inland TS warning.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about this policy.

I didn't realize that. I assumed the hurricane warning covered the entire coastal county and the inland warnings were for counties just inland from coastal counties. For example, here in South Alabama, I assumed the inland warnings were for the counties such as Washington and Escambia, which are located just above the coastal counties of Mobile and Baldwin. You learn something new on Storm2K everyday! I would wager a bet that others made that assumption, too. Perhaps the NWS does need to clarify that.
0 likes   

Buck
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#1686 Postby Buck » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:32 pm

dwg71 wrote:This is venturing way off topic, but if it doesnt effect the US or US interest (vacation spots,business, etc) its not news that should be covered in depth (imo).

There are tropical cyclones all over the world, that dont get mention on US news channels.

So if it doesn't concern the borders of my country, I shouldn't know about how a catastrophic storm could economically cripple another country in my hemisphere and potentially kill hundreds or thousands of people?

Also... CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and TWC are seen outside the US too.
Last edited by Buck on Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

txwatcher91
Category 5
Category 5

#1687 Postby txwatcher91 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:32 pm

Is it me or does it still appear to be heading WSW?

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis ... _floater_1
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1688 Postby HURAKAN » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:38 pm

It does look to be moving WSW. It may be a wobble and it really doesn't matter anymore as the rainfall is going to be deadly everywhere.
0 likes   

RDTF
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re:

#1689 Postby RDTF » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:39 pm

I must say, you really look like Colin Farrell :D
0 likes   

dwg71
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#1690 Postby dwg71 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:43 pm

Buck wrote:
dwg71 wrote:This is venturing way off topic, but if it doesnt effect the US or US interest (vacation spots,business, etc) its not news that should be covered in depth (imo).

So if it doesn't concern the borders of my country, I shouldn't know about how a catastrophic storm could economically cripple another country in my hemisphere and potentially kill hundreds or thousands of people?

Also... CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and TWC are seen outside the US too.

that many people die every day in Africa from wars, droughts, poverty, its not plastered on the news, its not news if no one is interested in it. You cant make someone care about a hurricane in Central America, any more than they care about a hurricane in Japan. Why should Felix get more coverage than a storm in Eastern Hemisphere?

The instant it became apparent that Dean was not a US threat the posts on this site dropped dramaticly, same thing happend with Felix. Does that mean people are heartless, no it means they are not going to be affected so their interest drops.
0 likes   

MetSul Weather Center
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Hurricane FELIX:Caribbean-Discussions & Imagery 5 PM pag 84

#1691 Postby MetSul Weather Center » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:44 pm

Online editions from Nicaragua's newspapers report at this hour catastrophic damage in the coast. Local media is saying Puerto Cabezas (60.000 people town) has been destroyed.

http://www.radiolaprimerisima.com/notic ... eral/19186
0 likes   

Normandy
Category 5
Category 5

#1692 Postby Normandy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:46 pm

MetSul Weather Center wrote:Online editions from Nicaragua's newspapers report at this hour catastrophic damage in the coast. Local media is saying Puerto Cabezas (60.000 people town) has been destroyed.

Thats interesting....
Because supposedly (well from what I heard on another board) they only got Cat1 conditions. Perhaps that assumption was wrong...
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1693 Postby Brent » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:51 pm

English please? :double:
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#1694 Postby Derek Ortt » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:53 pm

they did NOT get cat 1 winds

They took the southern eyewall, which has at least REAL cat 3 winds
0 likes   

MetSul Weather Center
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1695 Postby MetSul Weather Center » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:53 pm

Here is the translation of part of the long report:

"Four dead, one seriously injured, one missing, 13.000 out of their homes, 90% of the homes without roof or destroyed in the city of Bilwi, many communities, incluidin Sandy Bay Norte, totally destroyed, is the preliminary evaluation offered this afternoon by the presidential delegate to the Caribbean Lumberto Campbell".

The headline of the report says:

Puerto Cabezas está destruida = Puerto Cabezas is destroyed

Another report that has the headline:

Puerto Cabeza está viviendo una “desgracia” = Puerto Cabezas is living a "disgrace"

http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/2007/09 ... ales/58043

Another one:

BILWI HA SIDO DEVASTADA = BILWI HAS BEEN DEVASTED

http://www.radiolaprimerisima.com/noticias/19180
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

#1696 Postby fasterdisaster » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:54 pm

Puerto Cabezas likely got AT LEAST Cat 2 winds, possibly Cat 3, though it may be that they were in between observations, or the instruments were damaged thus giving incorrect data. At the closest they were a mere eight miles from the center of the eye, and they in fact got the VERY edge of the eyewall, where winds would be higher than the rest of the eyewall, and another two to three miles south and Puerto Cabezas may have gotten a few minutes of the eye(but they didn't). Even if the Cat 1 report from that board was right, remember these are VERY poorly built houses, at least for the most part, and Cat 1 sustained winds can cause a lot of damage nonetheless.
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#1697 Postby Cyclenall » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:56 pm

I heard on the TV news that 2 people so far have died in the hurricane. Take that with a grain of salt since TV media is not a good source anymore for tropical cyclone information as we know now.
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#1698 Postby fasterdisaster » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:59 pm

That is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. If deaths happen ANYWHERE it should make the news. And we all know nothing of interest is actually happening in the US right now. Would you rather we have top stories of heatwaves and what latest thing Larry Craig said? Those are just not as important topics. And yes, typhoons and cyclones are often not covered, but they do definitely get mentioned, and just because they aren't covered doesn't mean they shouldn't be.
0 likes   

MetSul Weather Center
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1699 Postby MetSul Weather Center » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:06 pm

JUST IN

The government of Nicaragua has just declared state of disaster (estado de desastre in Spanish).

http://www.laprensa.com.ni/archivo/2007 ... 3583.shtml
0 likes   

RDTF
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1700 Postby RDTF » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:11 pm

MetSul Weather Center wrote:JUST IN

The government of Nicaragua has just declared state of disaster (estado de desastre in Spanish).

http://www.laprensa.com.ni/archivo/2007 ... 3583.shtml

thanks for that update
0 likes   

Return to “2007”