So what is going on U-all is it or not
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Invest 99L:Off E Coast-Discussions-Analysis & Imagery

#2062 Postby wxman57 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:25 pm

Scott_inVA wrote:Hi folks!

00Z model maps I do initialized Invest 99L as a Tropical Storm (note symbol in the 00Z model map below)

http://www.midatlanticwx.com/cyclone/AL992007.png

When this occurs, TPC typically goes with named status at with the pending F/A package. Looks like Gabby is here.

Scott
Mid-Atlantic WX.com
Lexington, VA
http://www.midatlanticwx.com

Not surprising since recon found 40kt surface winds. 00Z models have it initialized at 40kts. That means if the LLC ever gets better-defined it'll be Gabrielle on the first advisory (unless it weakens before then).

Model tracks look good, a North Carolina clipper then out to sea, probably a moderate TS at the rate it's going when it passes NC.
0 likes   

fox13weather
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2063 Postby fox13weather » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:25 pm

Bane wrote:

00Z model maps I do initialized Invest 99L as a Tropical Storm (note symbol in the 00Z model map below)

When this occurs, TPC typically goes with named status at with the pending F/A package. Looks like Gabby is here.

Scott
Mid-Atlantic WX.com
Lexington, VA

looks like a big black box.

It is dark in the western Atlantic.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#2064 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:25 pm

I'm not sure... it is being carried as a 40KT area of low-pressure, not as a TS... at least as of yet
0 likes   

Scott_inVA
Storm2k Forecaster
Storm2k Forecaster

Re:

#2065 Postby Scott_inVA » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:28 pm

'CaneFreak wrote:what do you think about intensity scott?

I'd imagine there indeed is debate at TPC as to wheter or not to pull the trigger tonight based on all the recon data. Can't argue it remains closed off so if they go straight to TS Gabrielle, it'll be at 40 knots.
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

#2066 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:29 pm

Looking at IR 2, low level center looks much better defined, near 30.3ºN and 71.5ºW, with a new blob of convection firing just North of the center.

Maybe this is Derek's convective burst to push this over the edge.
0 likes   

Scott_inVA
Storm2k Forecaster
Storm2k Forecaster

#2067 Postby Scott_inVA » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:30 pm

fox13weather wrote:
Bane wrote:

Scott
Mid-Atlantic WX.com
Lexington, VA

looks like a big black box.

It is dark in the western Atlantic.

ROFL :)

Embedded image is .png format...some browers do do that so here is the 00Z in jpg: http://www.midatlanticwx.com/cyclone/AL992007.jpg

Should be cool for all.

Scott
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2068 Postby HURAKAN » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:31 pm

SHIP S 0000 32.40 -71.90 212 15 60 45.1 - 9.8 12.0 - - 30.01 -0.06 78.8 80.6 70.7 12.4 7 - 8.2 14.0 90

45 knts. This could be from the storm itself or because of gradient pressure.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2069 Postby Brent » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:31 pm

If it is Gabby at 11 then I say THANK GOD. It will make this situation so much better, we'll have a track from the NHC, their thoughts on intensity and such, it's much better. Storm shouldn't be too much of a wind issue.
0 likes   

Scott_inVA
Storm2k Forecaster
Storm2k Forecaster

#2070 Postby Scott_inVA » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:34 pm

wxman57 wrote:

http://www.midatlanticwx.com/cyclone/AL992007.png

Scott
Mid-Atlantic WX.com
Lexington, VA

Not surprising since recon found 40kt surface winds. 00Z models have it initialized at 40kts. That means if the LLC ever gets better-defined it'll be Gabrielle on the first advisory (unless it weakens before then).

Model tracks look good, a North Carolina clipper then out to sea, probably a moderate TS at the rate it's going when it passes NC.

Yeah, think 40Kt is what they'll go with. I'll bet there's some haggling going on there as there is not one single center of circulation.

Scott
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#2071 Postby Brent » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:34 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:maybe Shannon can correct me if I am wrong, but there are very few nighttime invest missions. I believe the last one was Erin in 1995, and that wa sonly because the system was impacting the Bahamas and warnings needed to be issued the second it became a tropical storm. I am not certain it is 100% that recon will fly tonight, but if I'm wrong, please let me know Shannon

It is slated to take off at 10:30. I don't see them cancelling especially since all it needs is a well-defined LLC and it's a TS. But yeah you're right, nighttime invest missions are extremely rare. I think this will be an exception.
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#2072 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:34 pm

...Recon did not find a closed defined LLC through out its mission. But it did find surface winds up to 42-45 knots. Also a broad LLC...Based on tonight satellite, I would place the "LLC" or the base area to watch around 30.5/71.5...Near the area of convection blowing up. Also the ULL is moving west-southwestward away form our system...So shear levels have droped and should be getting more favorable by tomarrow morning. I expect that recon tonight may find us a tropical storm later tonight. The high reminds very strongly to the north of the system, even so the system kind of got pushed north of 30 today. I still a landfall into NC in around 36-42 hours...This could develop into a interesting storm as it moves over the gulf stream...Also the high should be strong enough that the trough moving to its north should not weaken it enough to pull it out to see before it makes landfall.
0 likes   

storms in NC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2073 Postby storms in NC » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:35 pm

Brent wrote:If it is Gabby at 11 then I say THANK GOD. It will make this situation so much better, we'll have a track from the NHC, their thoughts on intensity and such, it's much better. Storm shouldn't be too much of a wind issue.

From the look of the model track not going to be much of any thing. Rain or wind. It curves out to sea missing the coast.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2074 Postby HURAKAN » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:35 pm

Latest:

0 likes   

philnyc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#2075 Postby philnyc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:36 pm

HURAKAN wrote:Latest:

I'M A MODERATOR!!!

CONGRATS, HURAKAN!
0 likes   

windstorm99
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 99L:Off E C-Discussions-Ship Reports 45kt wind at page 104

#2076 Postby windstorm99 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:36 pm

Whether this is a TS is up for grabs but in my opinion this still does not look to great...Models seem to be trending on keeping the worst weather of what ever this is right now of the coast.Adrian
0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2077 Postby OuterBanker » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:37 pm

Bath an bed to face another day. BTW, looks like somebody piled the spagetti on eastern NC. Maybe I should gas up in the am.
0 likes   

Scott_inVA
Storm2k Forecaster
Storm2k Forecaster

#2078 Postby Scott_inVA » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:41 pm

Matt-hurricanewatcher wrote:...Recon did not find a closed defined LLC through out its mission. But it did find surface winds up to 42-45 knots. Also a broad LLC...Based on tonight satellite, I would place the "LLC" or the base area to watch around 30.5/71.5...Near the area of convection blowing up. Also the ULL is moving west-southwestward away form our system...So shear levels have droped and should be getting more favorable by tomarrow morning. I expect that recon tonight may find us a tropical storm later tonight. The high reminds very strongly to the north of the system, even so the system kind of got pushed north of 30 today. I still a landfall into NC in around 36-42 hours...This could develop into a interesting storm as it moves over the gulf stream...Also the high should be strong enough that the trough moving to its north should not weaken it enough to pull it out to see before it makes landfall.

We've "been there, done that" before with NHC. Sometimes there will be a moderately broad closed off circulation but a center is not well defined, nor is it wrapping up and in. That may be enough to take the finger off the trigger. However, nothing is static out there and a decent burst of thunderstorms will tighten up the center in a hurry...so...my guess is: 11PM EDT Gabby at 40 knots.

Believe it or not, Friday night *can* make a difference in on the fence calls :wink:

Scott
0 likes   

'CaneFreak
Category 5
Category 5

#2079 Postby 'CaneFreak » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:43 pm

Scott_inVA wrote:
Matt-hurricanewatcher wrote:...Recon did not find a closed defined LLC through out its mission. But it did find surface winds up to 42-45 knots. Also a broad LLC...Based on tonight satellite, I would place the "LLC" or the base area to watch around 30.5/71.5...Near the area of convection blowing up. Also the ULL is moving west-southwestward away form our system...So shear levels have droped and should be getting more favorable by tomarrow morning. I expect that recon tonight may find us a tropical storm later tonight. The high reminds very strongly to the north of the system, even so the system kind of got pushed north of 30 today. I still a landfall into NC in around 36-42 hours...This could develop into a interesting storm as it moves over the gulf stream...Also the high should be strong enough that the trough moving to its north should not weaken it enough to pull it out to see before it makes landfall.

We've "been there, done that" before with NHC. Sometimes there will be a moderately broad closed off circulation but the center is not well defined, nor is it wrapping up and in. That may be enough to take the finger off the trigger. However, nothing is static out there and a decent burst of thunderstorms will tighten up the center in a hurry...so...my guess is: 11PM EDT Gabby at 40 knots.

Believe it or not, Friday night *can* make a difference in on the fence calls :wink:

Scott

Scott

I agree...what have they got to lose? I mean....people need to be prepared and if we go ahead and issue advisories and watches and warnings now...people will be prepared...if we wait until tomorrow...people may not be ready in case this thing goes KABOOM overnight...its happened before and it may happen again...who knows?

'CaneFreak
0 likes   

storms in NC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2080 Postby storms in NC » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:52 pm

What is going to happen is you have all these people that have beach homes and boats that will wait till they call it then they will go down to the beach to tie up the boat and board up the homes. But you are not talking about to much time here. You will have more people on the beach and can't get off.
0 likes   

Return to “2007”