IKEA!

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

IKEA!

#1 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:52 am

The first Ohio IKEA store opened near me last month. Which is very exciting for our area and our entire state. They could have built this store in Columbus, for example, central to the state but they decided to build it just north of Cincinnati. To which, I say thank you!

Anyway, do we have any IKEA shoppers here?

We picked up a few items for the kitchen, my daughter found a few things for her bedroom but mostly we just looked at kitchen cabinets (for a short row of them in our finished basement half). Their cabinets look to be well made and I was surprised I liked more than one style. I expected all of them to be ultra modern, but I liked at least 3 or 4 styles (that blend well with the arts and craft look). We liked how the drawers closed themselves too.

We had breakfast before shopping, a new shopping concept for us. And brought home cinnamon rolls. Forgot to pick up the Swedish meatballs (next trip!)....

So does anyone here IKEA shop? Just curious......

Mary
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: IKEA!

#2 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:02 am

Not very often, but we have purchased a few things there as well as our kids doing the same. Haven't been able to bring myself to eat there, but we hear that it is very good. The concept of eating at a furniture store is just so bizarre to me/us.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#3 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:35 am

Yes I agree - the concept of eating at a furniture store is odd to me too. Must be a Swedish thing.....LOL It also felt new age, almost futuristic to me since the cafeteria's furniture and lighting (huge, round shaped chandeliers over the tables), looked like something out of a Sci-Fi movie set.....

Thanks for your response David. CajunMama and I have both noticed how this Forum is just about dead! We don't know what to do to bring attention to it either.

I actually saw your nic as the last reply and yelled outloud - alright! Someone posted!

LOL!
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#4 Postby somethingfunny » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:34 am

My dad was born in Sweden and growing up in New Jersey we actually spent alot of time in IKEA. I loved that place....their playplace is basically a free daycare. Drop the kids off, go shopping...I think sometimes my parents actually dropped me and my brothers off and went onto New York City for the day (LOL)....and of course my mom loved trying Swedish recipies especially when relatives came to visit, so the 'Swede Store' was perfect for her. They have some great imported foods that would normally be pretty hard to track down. The furniture is good quality and good prices, of course...but my favorite part was their restaurant. At the Elizabeth, NJ, store, the restaurant had a glass wall extending along one side of it, overlooking one of the runways at Newark Airport! Naturally, I could spend hours there as a kid watching airplanes take off and land. I never realized IKEA was a chain until they opened one up in Frisco, TX.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#5 Postby Miss Mary » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:06 am

Hey, thanks for bumping up my Ikea topic.

Our youngest daughter went off to college last month. Two aunts/uncles in her dad's family went together and gave her an Ikea gift card for her graduation gift. She spent their money wisely!

She bought a rug for her dorm room. Later, she had me make an Ikea run and buy a light wooden sling back rocker (which comes with the chair pad/cushion, many do not, they're extra). Rug was $30 and rocker was $50. We assembled the chair here at home but it wouldn't fit into my husband's backseat. Then we tried my car's backseat, same thing, the opening was just a little too narrow. Then my husband realized if you removed only 4 screws, it came apart into two pieces, for transport. since the pad had a small zippered pouch, we put the tool (basically an Ikea screwdriver) and manual in this pouch. We assembled it in her dorm room. It's very comfortable! Cute thing was once we had it assembled the first time here at home, our dog prompted climbed into it. So of course we took a picture. Then our dog wouldn't leave it - so cute. We emailed her the picture saying someone else already claimed it. She said she showed all her friends who thought the picture of our Golden curled up in a brand new chair was so cute. We joked - well she just had to get her dog hair and scent on something brand new!

Anyway, I should also add that the day I picked up this chair for her, I was in the store for 12 minutes. Yes folks, if you know which specific dept. you are going to, you can be in that store for minutes! LOL

One suggestion I have to make though - skip the u-scan-it registers. I prefer self service registers elsewhere and have become very handy ringing up my own purchases. But not at Ikea - they have major problems with these registers! We wait in line for a cashier. It's well worth it because so many items will not scan and they have to keep entering individual numbers.
0 likes   

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby DaylilyDawn » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:16 pm

I won a $100.00 gift card at the Orlando Ikea store recently for being one of the first 100 people in line. I used it to buy my grandson 's Christmas present, the Egg chair. I also got the daughter a mirror for her bedroom door
and a couple of the shopping bags (trying to stop bringing plastic bags home), also got a few food items. When it was totaled up I had spent $100.43 . Because I went over the $100.00, Ikea gave me another $25.00 gift card.
I keep trying to tell my hubby we need to go back over to the Ikea store and check it out b ut he won't go.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#7 Postby Miss Mary » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:25 am

You got another gift card? Wow!

I used my college aged daughter's gift card for her dorm chair and went over the amount. They didn't offer me one......hmmmm, maybe they are doing this to bring in more customers? Because the economy is so bad right now. Funny side note - just recently she said and I quote - I have money left on my IKEA gift card, we need to go out there sometime soon (it's a 45 minute drive from home). I laughed and said it was all gone now. She just sighed. Nice try but I'm not taking her there if I have to be the one paying for the all the cool items she finds!

All in all, you made out like a bandit Day Lily!
0 likes   

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby DaylilyDawn » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:41 am

Miss Mary, It was the Orlando's store one year anniversary and they had a 3 day celebration of it. Daughter went on the first night and stayed there all night to get a card that was 20.00 worth. Then she talked me into going on the next night (big mistake weather wise, WAS COLD). We had chairs and blankets to wrap up in but we were still COLD. I don't normally subject myself to something like that but I had a feeling I would get something even if I only got a 20.00 card. It meant I had 20.00 more than I had before I got there. I could always find something to spend a 20.00 card on.
0 likes   

Jason Foster
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Ikea around DC for 30 year!

#9 Postby Jason Foster » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:37 am

IKEA rocks for cheap furniture. But like most things from Sweden, it's way, way too much re-engineering. There is a newer one in College Park, MD just north of DC. However, further south, down in Woodbridge, VA there as been one for something like 30 years, likely one of the originals.

It is a great place to get some stuff cheap, like shelves and more. However, it is impossible to get replacement parts, you can't order online, you can't back order any items, and they change their furniture almost every years, so you can't match or grow very easily. It also isn't made all that well. I've had many of the drawer fronts not match up, or selves break. The fit and finish is terrible, but at least some of the laminates are real wood. Now it's not as bad as going to Kmart, Target, or BigLots, but it really is for lower income, or quick cheap fit-outs. If you change a lot (like a HGTV fanatic does), than it is the way to go, because if you don't need it to last more than 5 years, your golden.

That said, I have many Ikea pieces of furniture, and most is serving me well, for now. I am handy, so I have made a couple of my own modifications to their furniture, to make it stronger (like real wood backing on shelves rather than cardboard). I also have screwed a series of shelves together with very grippy drywall screws to keep them together and aligned for better fit and finish (otherwise they slide all over).

One last thing, they have also given me great ideas for making my own furniture, and I like to use some of the techniques, so if your a furniture maker, it's pretty cool stuff to check out.
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”