Need updated recipes.....

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

Need updated recipes.....

#1 Postby Miss Mary » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:26 am

Hosting a high school graduation party in May and I need a few new recipes!

#1. My in-laws are into appetizers that start with cream cheese rolls or bricks. Covered in salsa or chutney, then sprinkled with dried fruit. A

Anyone have a good recipe for something like that?

#2. Also, an easy to make pasta salad, with a light oil dressing, would be helpful too. One that I could make the day before and put into large zip lock bags. As the party progresses I plan to keep refilling the pasta bowl. The one I used for my oldest daughter's grad party was tri-colored bow tie pasta, with strips of red and yellow pepper, red onion rings, shredded monterey jack cheese but with a creamy garlic salad dressing found locally at a pizzeria. This time I want to try a lighter dressing.

Finally....

#3. An updated tossed salad recipe would be appreciated as well. One with again a light oil type dressing and dried fruit.

Yes, I'm trying to please my in-laws....LOL

I'm starting with honey roasted turkey breast from the Honey Baked Ham store, along with a pasta and tossed salad. Possibly something hot, not sure yet if I'll bother with a hot dish (veggie casserole, we are expecting a lot of guests, so I may want to stick with a cold spread).

Thanks so much!
Mary
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Need updated recipes.....

#2 Postby CajunMama » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:04 pm

Mary, I know this isn't exactly the type salad you're looking for but it's one that can be made ahead of time and it's always a favorite. I get requests to bring this salad.

7 Layer Salad

1-head of iceberg lettuce
2-stalks of celery
1-green bell pepper (can use red)
1-bunch of green onions (I use purple onion)
1-10 oz. box of frozen peas
2-cups of mayo
2-tbsp. of sugar
1-8 oz. package of shredded cheddar cheese
Bacon bits to cover cheese

Mix mayo & sugar in bowl & put aside. Then chop celery, bell peppers, & onions. Tear lettuce & place in bottom of deep bowl (bowl that is same diameter to the top). Then layer celery, bell pepper, frozen peas & onions on top. Next take mayo/sugar mixture & layer next. Then layer cheese & bacon bits last. Cover & refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving.

For the cream cheese appetizer...

Red Pepper Jelly Dip

Layer the ingredients in an 8x8 or 9x9 inch dish according to how they are listed.

8 oz. whipped cream cheese
chopped green onions to cover cream cheese
finely chopped pecans to cover the onions
shredded cheddar cheese to cover the onions
Tabasco Red Pepper Jelly spread across the top

That's it! Serve with Wheat Thins or your favorite crackers.

or you can just top the cream cheese with pepper jelly or there's a spicy topping called pickapeppa.
0 likes   

weathermom
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby weathermom » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:44 pm

Cream Cheese "thing"

toast about 1/8-1/4 Cup of black sesame seeds-let cool (you can find black sesame seeds in the asian food section)

press seeds into one block of cream cheese, covering all sides with seeds

put on a dish and cover with soy sauce

serve with rice crackers or ritz, whichever you prefer

I know it sounds really weird, but it tastes soooo good. When people see me coming with it they clear a spot in front of them! It is always a hit.
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby dizzyfish » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Pasta Salad - from my good friend Sandra

Tri-color twist macaroni (you could use bow ties too)
Italian dressing (I make my own from a package - Good Seasons I think)
McCormick Salad Supreme seasoning
Onion - chopped
Pepper
Black Olives - chopped
Green Olives - chopped
Plum tomatoes - chopped

Cook macaroni and toss everything else in!

Soooo many variations to this recipe - add what you like and delete what you don't.
Try adding the little cheese filled tortelllinis or the pickled (Greek style) carrots and cauliflower.

My sister and her family loves this and always asks that I bring it.

Just thought of something else...

Spinach Dip - just follow the directions on the back of the Knorr Veggie Soup box.
You have probably made this before - kids like it too. I love it with pumpernickel bread!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#5 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:36 am

Wow, thanks so much everyone! Lots of ideas here. Trouble will be we have one refridgerator so I have to plan what I'll serve carefully. When I hosted our oldest daughter's party, I had only party food in it (I don't even think we had room for milk!). I made the tossed and pasta salads ahead of time, putting both in glider type plastic large bags. I would squeeze out the air and keep them in my vegetable crispers. I tossed each batch of tossed salad with dressing right before serving it and kept refilling the large glass salad bowl. I can't recall if I had veggies and dip but the same would apply, I had many sides in zip lock bags. Platters or bowls ready to be filled at the start of the party. This is why I liked the small turkey breasts from Honey Baked Ham - they fit in my fridge! The spinach dip would work well because that could be kept in plastic container too, until the time of the party. I won't have any room for pre-ordered deli trays. Sure would be nice to have another fridge....LOL
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby Pburgh » Tue May 06, 2008 7:59 am

Mary, I've always found that a fruit salad with grapes, mellons, strawberries and blueberries goes over really well. You could slice it ahead and put it in your zip lock bags. A good way to keep this fresh once it's in the bowl is to pour a little Sprite or 7up over it. Yep that's right Pop does the trick.

When I'm having parties I always keep my refrigerator clear by putting my extra food (zip lock bags) in a big cooler with ice. (someplace where no one can see it) If you have a long tablecloth on your serving table you could stash the cooler under there.

I make a salad with chopped romaine lettuce, sliced red onions, sliced celery and sections of oranges. I make the dressing by putting fresh strawberries, a little orange juice and olive oil in a blender. Sprinkle the salad with diced almonds and it tastes terrific.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#7 Postby Miss Mary » Thu May 15, 2008 6:44 am

I found a recipe card at my local Kroger stores, for a baked brie appetizer. Has anyone here served something like this: you take a round of brie, skim off the top of it, melt butter, add apricot preserves, then a few tablespoons of heavy whipping cream, spread over brie. Top with crushed Rosemary and sliced almonds. Bake for 20 min. in 325 oven. Serve with crackers, bread or fresh fruit (won't have time for that).

I'm going to try a very small portion of this dish tonight, by buying a wedge of brie to see if it tastes good. Only trouble is my family doesn't like apricots. So I'm wondering if red raspberry preserves might be a better choice?

I did find out what the family sauce over cream cheese "recipe" was - it's a simple brick of cream cheese, topped with hot pepper jam sauce. But I can't find it, unless I want to drive 45 min. to a wine shop across town for it (won't be doing that either!).

If anyone has a baked brie recipe of their own, topped with fruit salsa or jam, let me know. These are what my in-laws are into - I guess you'd call them French cuisine appetizers? They drink a lot of wine.....
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Pburgh » Thu May 15, 2008 8:30 am

Mary
Get some puff pastry from the frozen food section. (Pepperidge Farm)
Thaw out 1 sheet.
Skin off the top of a round of Brie and place it on top of the puff pastry sheet.
Spread whatever jam or jelly you like on top of the Brie about 1 inch thick.

Now fold the puff pastry up around the brie and squeeze the puff pastry together at the top. (like a pouch)

Beat one egg and 1 tsp water. Brush the puff pastry with this mixture (you probably won't need all of it)

Bake at 375 until pastry is golden brown. (about 20 min)
I use strawberry preserves and garnish the plate with fresh strawberries. It's yummy.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#9 Postby vbhoutex » Fri May 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Pburgh wrote:Mary
Get some puff pastry from the frozen food section. (Pepperidge Farm)
Thaw out 1 sheet.
Skin off the top of a round of Brie and place it on top of the puff pastry sheet.
Spread whatever jam or jelly you like on top of the Brie about 1 inch thick.

Now fold the puff pastry up around the brie and squeeze the puff pastry together at the top. (like a pouch)

Beat one egg and 1 tsp water. Brush the puff pastry with this mixture (you probably won't need all of it)

Bake at 375 until pastry is golden brown. (about 20 min)
I use strawberry preserves and garnish the plate with fresh strawberries. It's yummy.
*vb wipes slobbery drool from all down his front* :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby Pburgh » Fri May 16, 2008 1:14 pm

Actually David, you can spread a few chocolate chips on top of the Strawberry jam and it tastes even better.

Just that little touch of melted chocolate with the strawberries and cheese...........................and that wonderful puff pastry.........................
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#11 Postby Miss Mary » Sat May 17, 2008 11:49 am

I'm drooling too!

Thanks so much Karan. I will say that if I run out of time to make that appetizer for this huge party coming up (1 week away!) I will definitely make it for my in-law's. They would think I hired a caterer to make it - LOL. They know how I make simple dishes. If I could somehow pull that off, they would be impressed!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#12 Postby Miss Mary » Tue May 20, 2008 7:05 am

Update - I tried the Baked Brie with Apricot Preserves last night. I thought it tasted great and looked fancy. Hubby said he doesn't like cheese that is soft but this is all his family is into right now. So I'm making it for the grad party. He did admit they'd like it. My daughter (the grad) took one look at it and said - no way, I'm not eating THAT!

LOL!
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby Pburgh » Tue May 20, 2008 7:41 am

Mary, I've tried the apricot too. My favorite is the strawberry. It's a little sweeter and you can then decorate with fresh strawberries. Or your idea of raspberries and the decorating the plate with fresh raspberries - yum. Glad you think it will work.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#14 Postby Miss Mary » Thu May 22, 2008 5:32 am

Karan - while at Krogers the other day (one of my many recent trips, LOL!) I found a berry mix of preserves - blue, red raspberry and blackberry. I just went ahead and bought it. There are seeds in it though. I could make this recipe with this type of preserves and strain it near the end. I'm considering it. I know hubby would like something with a red berry look and taste. I'm still making the baked brie for the party.

T minus 2+ days and counting......today I want to make my first floor party ready. There are so many tables full of items - paper products, my entertaining pieces, etc. I begin the pickup tomorrow for the ordered items - dip, these ever so good pretzel breadsticks that you slice and use with the bistro dip (imagine ranch dip consistency but it's a tan color, with horshraddish in it, we have a deli that makes it, it's so good!), grad cookies, cake, two deli platters, etc. I will need places to go with it all.

I asked for Friday off at work and they declined my request, too close to the holiday weekend. Now why didn't I think to put in for that day, months ago? Stupid me....he he

It will all work out. But if you walked into my house right now, you'd see that pile of stuff in my dining room, vac out (since we keep using it), carpet cleaner is now put away though, our check lists (which are looking mighty frayed by now)......you would think I'm a week away from a party. Not 2 days!

Thanks for all your help with recipes, everyone.

Mary
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby Pburgh » Tue May 27, 2008 11:50 am

How did it go??? Are you completely exhausted???
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#16 Postby Miss Mary » Tue May 27, 2008 3:39 pm

Oh Karan - how did you know? I was not this worn out 3 years ago after having a grad party for our oldest daughter. I could barely stay awake by dinner time on Sunday night! I took a long soak in the tub and was in bed by 10:30. I slept 10 hours! But Saturday night into Sunday we were still on a tight schedule. The ceremony was on Sunday morning. All in all the party went very well. The baked brie was a huge hit. Many commented on it and asked how I made it. It was very easy I will say. I used small bowls and pre-measured all the ingredients, so I could talk and enjoy company. Not worrying about reading a recipe. Just like they do on cooking shows!

But I find that I'm still dragging now and the party was two days ago. I think I need Geritol or something again....he he
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”