Sheets

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Sheets

#1 Postby CajunMama » Sun May 25, 2008 2:03 pm

As i get older the more luxurious my comforts become. Sheets for example, when first married i just picked the ones i liked regardless of the thread count and now thinking back they were probably at the most 120 count! Now as i'm nearing 50 (ack!) i find i will only buy those with a minumum thread count of 400. I recently bought myself some with the tc of either 600 or 800. Oh they are divine! I found sam's club has fantastic prices on their sheets and they are not expensive at all.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

Re: Sheets

#2 Postby Miss Mary » Sun May 25, 2008 6:51 pm

I think as we baby boomers get older we know what we like and what we don't like. LOL! I know what you mean about high thread count sheets. We still have my husband's post-college water bed (love it, BTW, will never part with it!). We have found that king sized flat sheets work best, we just tuck them in around the entire mattress. But it's difficult to find individual flat sheets, they usually come in a set. I picked up a new "set", two flat sheets, at an outlet store. But they've never softened, even over time. I'm about to use them for drop cloths when painting! I've washed them in very hot water, agitating them for a long time. It helped soften them a bit but to this day, they are scratchy. We only use them if the other 2 sets we have aren't clean. They must have a low thread count.....LOL
0 likes   

coriolis
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#3 Postby coriolis » Mon May 26, 2008 6:53 am

Can anyone suggest a good way to fold fitted sheets? They are such a pain to fold.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#4 Postby Miss Mary » Mon May 26, 2008 9:55 am

Ed - yes they are. Impossible!

I always fold the fitted sheet down the middle, either sideways or lengthwise. Then I take the top half and tuck the fitted end, inside the bottom fitted end. I flatten this fitted end as flat as I can, and begin folding the entire sheet into a square, like you would a blanket or flat sheet. The end result isn't as flat as a flatted sheet but it fits on the shelf. Somehow. LOL

That's the way I do it. Not sure if that's the correct way or not.......one of our sets has the fitted elastic part going down the entire side of the bed, not the corners (odd, huh, not the corners, what you would think of on a fitted sheet). Anyway, that fitted bottom sheet usually ends up on that queen sized bed, b/c it's a pain to fold! I like to have at least 2 sets of sheets for every bed in our house. Each time I put that set on that queen bed, I always think, was this a reject - it's odd because they used way too much elastic on that sheet than they needed to (if anyone here sews, you know what I'm talking about). That sheet in particular is a real pain to fold neatly. You want to wad the entire thing and shove it on the linen shelf!
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Pburgh » Tue May 27, 2008 12:00 pm

Sam's club really does have great prices on high thread count sheets. I've been known to buy high thread count sheets on the shopping channels. They have some good prices.
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”