Wallpaper Removal

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Wallpaper Removal

#1 Postby CajunMama » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:02 pm

One of my bathrooms and a bedroom have wallpaper on the ceiling. I bought one of those steam wallpaper remover machines. Can i use it on the ceiling or will the hot water end up dripping down my hand and arm?
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Wallpaper Removal

#2 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:49 pm

CajunMama wrote:One of my bathrooms and a bedroom have wallpaper on the ceiling. I bought one of those steam wallpaper remover machines. Can i use it on the ceiling or will the hot water end up dripping down my hand and arm?

I'd be very careful trying that. Maybe you should put plastic over yourself or a raincoat before you try it. I seem to remember there being some drippage no matter what.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#3 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:30 am

Decades ago, I bought a fabric steamer you pack for travel. It holds only 1/4 cup of water each time. But the steam coming out is great for wallpaper removal. I've lent this clothes steamer out for just this purpose.

It would be tricky to use on a ceiling but I could think the steam would rise and you could just hold it close to the ceiling and it would still work (in the upright position).

So if you have a travel clothes steamer, try it.
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Pburgh » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:30 am

Mama, I definitely would not do the ceiling with any type of steamer. I'd be afraid that the potential for being scalded is way too great.

On the other hand, with David's idea, you might just smother yourself!!!!!!

I used wallpaper stripper or solvent that you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes when I did my Mom's. They also have a little hand-held gizmo that perforates the surface of the wallpaper so that the stripper will sink in. It worked really well. My Mom has plaster walls and not drywall. If you have drywall, please be very careful with steam or even the perforating tool. I think they have a perforating tool with rounded edges on the tips.

It's really hard work and I don't envy you.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

Re: Wallpaper Removal

#5 Postby Dionne » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:05 am

CajunMama wrote:One of my bathrooms and a bedroom have wallpaper on the ceiling. I bought one of those steam wallpaper remover machines. Can i use it on the ceiling or will the hot water end up dripping down my hand and arm?

Removing wallpaper can be a task. Sometimes it comes right off. Then there are the times when the wall requires a skim coat after the paper is removed. Wallpaper on a ceiling is unusual. I'd almost bet the wallpaper was on the panel before it was installed. If thats the case you would be better off putting a layer of 3/8 rock over the existing.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#6 Postby CajunMama » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:38 am

My sons bedroom was done after we moved in so the ceiling was prepped & painted. Their bathroom...i don't know. That was done before we moved in. I'll find that out when i take it down.
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby chadtm80 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:17 am

Been there and done that mama in my spare bathroom.. A couple hours into it I regreted the heck out of it.. lol.. It was a long stinking task. Have fun :D
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”