Anyone tried a ~new~ recipe lately?

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Anyone tried a ~new~ recipe lately?

#21 Postby WeatherGuesser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:20 am

Kalrany wrote: the recipe looks rather wet if you want a soft cookie – likely to spread a lot when cooking, and end up kind of crispy... May want to tweak the flour and oat to butter ratio if you find you don’t like the texture. The website has some good options for doing that. BONUS --Looks like a good cookie dough recipe without cooking, though.

I was told a while back that you can use a banana in place of an egg. I may try that here in place of some of the margarine. The point is just to be a binder I guess. Probably add some cinnamon or nutmeg too.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby WeatherGuesser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:22 pm

OK, so I did it mainly by the recipe, sort of. It calls for a cup of butter which is two sticks. I used one stick of margarine and one banana. I also used nutmeg and almond flavoring instead of the vanilla. No regular flour, so I used what I had which was self-rising flour. And of course, raisins.

Turned out fine. Not hard or crunchy at all, more fluffy and cake-like.

I'm pretty sure the 30 or so cookies won't last long at all. :cheesy:
0 likes   

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Anyone tried a ~new~ recipe lately?

#23 Postby Kalrany » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:26 pm

Wanted to replicate a dish I had out our local Greek resturant, and I think I got it: Avacado Hummus

1 can white beans (cannalini pref.)
1 avacado
juice of 1 lemon (~1/4c)
2 cloves of garlic
pinch of salt
1sp heavy tsp of Tahini (optional)

I found using 2 kitchen appliances works well for this, but is optional. Blend on high the lemon juice, salt, and garlic, so that the garlic is essentially "dissolved" into the juice. In a food processor, combine beans, avacado, and tahini with the juice mixture. Blend until smooth. Add more salt (and any pepper, hot sauce, etc.) to taste. Let sit for minimum 30 minutes for optimal blending of flavors.

What's nice is that this receipy scales up easily -- great for parties. The dip goes well on anything (pita, veggies, chips, pretzels, kababs, etc.) -- I have used it as a sandwich spread too and it totally rocks.
0 likes   
TOTAL NOVICE. The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Lansing MI, Galveston TX, Madison WI, Houston TX, Newark DE

Return to “Hearth and Home”